Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Something that always bothered me... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something that always bothered me...
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the years, a lot of people have expressed concern about seeing ship classes like Excelsior and Miranda close to a hundred years after their presumed original design dates. I guess the assumption is that the design must be too old to function effectively in the TNG-era.

However, occasionally I think about this and think that it may make a lot of sense. There are many advantages to a tried-and-true design; any flaws would have long since been identified through the years in service, and the manufacturing processes for new builds and replacement parts will have been perfected. For something that we can assume is as complex and expensive, resource-wise, as a starship, this makes a lot of economic sense. Likewise, it is unclear what the downside to continuing to use these designs is. If upgrades to the internals are of largely the same character as they progress, there probably isn't a real downside.

By this, I mean, if engine component X2 is about the same size and shape (very roughly) as component X1, which it replaces, then there is no need for a radically new ship design. Thus, the internals of the ships we see in the TNG-era could be quite different where technology advances have dictated, while other components may be unchanged from the TOS-era if those components were designed particularly well in the first place.

Indeed, this may explain why we saw a preponderance of Excelsiors and Mirandas in the Dominion War. Perhaps some of those ships are actually (prepare for some blasphemy! [Smile] ) brand-new. If the manufacturing processes that churn out the battle-tested Excelsior and Miranda designs operate faster and more efficiently than those that produce newer designs, it would make a whole ton of sense, in my view, to be making those if it means getting the ships to the front lines faster.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then there is no arms race in the 24th century.

It may be that everything worth inventing has been invented already, for the time being. Sure, there may have been propulsive innovations, but those might not be strategically significant: while jets outdated prop planes for the most part, Mach 3 jets haven't outdated transonic ones to this day, and the available knowhow for building 50-knot ships has not made navies adopt such speeds yet. And the weapons of the 23rd century Mirandas may be every bit as good as those of the Prometheus class.

Klingons seemed to have all their 24th century stuff in the mid-22nd already. It would have sufficed for the Earthlings/Feds to achieve parity with that; they could then stop evolving, just like the Klingons apparently had.

Also, Starfleet has major commitments to exploration and exploitation of space, and space hasn't evolved a bit between the 22nd and 24th centuries. A survey ship from 2132 could still perform her job in 2379, unless some fancy new instrument required more onboard power or something. But the odds are, modern instrumentation is less power-hungry and more compact than the older stuff, so if a replacement is necessary, it will be possible.

The new ship designs from the 24th century could then be technologically slightly different from their predecessors, but operationally just more of the same-o. Why retire the older generations when they still might have 500 years of structural (and, for all we know, operational) life left?

Timo Saloniemi

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which could explain why there could be Novae and Prometheii flying around two centuries after their introduction that Archer was able to see.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And even if armament is a concern, I think it's likely that new weapons can be adapted to the existing designs. Likewise, advances in propulsion may not depend on changing other elements or the overall structure of a ship. If these things are built to last, then they are likely built with an eye toward substantial upgradability.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the problem with older designs going on and on. If they're structurally sound (internally - the keel/chassis/whatever you call it - and externally - the hull), then as a ship they're fine. Power conduits and life support channels are unlikely to change that much over time. So really if things like transporters, replicators, control interfaces, sensors, comms, weapons, defensive systems etc. are modular and can be pulled out and replaced/upgraded, what's the problem? The only real major changes are in warp engine technology, and at the end of the day they all work on the same principles - they generate a warp field, and providing they do the work to develop configuration-settings so that older engines can generate newer warp field geometries, without being massively inefficient or dangerous, then that's that sorted. As for the other kind of propulsion, impulse power, it's my understanding that hasn't really changed at all.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think of it like cars. In the fifties I suspect you didn't see a lot of 1903 Model A's on the roads, but here in 2007 I do see a goodly number of fourty and fifty-year-old cars on the road. Automotive technology has certainly advanced in the last fifty years, but not so much as in the first fifty. If I need to, I can have a newer, better engine installed or put a (LOA recommended) aftermarket stereo in my fifty-year old car and listen to my iPod.

Scale that up to the size and complexity of starship design and the prevalence of older designs doesn't seem so odd. Even in the cashless society of the Federation, I think we can assume that a starship would constitute the equivalent of billions of dollars worth of resources. I suspect they'd try to get the most mileage out of their investments. And as was said above, transport, scientific and diplomatic missions wouldn't necessarily need the new-hotness.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything is geared to make the human experience more efficent/time-effective.
Consider that we (as a species) still be sail around in WWII-Vietnam era boats (at lsat we pawn them off to third world countries' navies), but the cutting edge fleets have moved on.

Starfleet would still have many uses for a 100-year-old ship, but not as it's vanguard f exploration/defense.
If nothing else, colony settlement/resupply and diplomatic missions are always in high demand (and what's a first-contacter gonna know between a Norway and a Miranda anyhow?).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that thing called where Nike builds inherent flaws in their shoes so they fall apart after five minutes and you have to buy new ones?

Starfleet would be building these things to last as it is, and with the vast technological skills and advantages they have over today's, it shouldn't be hard to imagine them building space vehicles which can operate for such a long period of time without becoming obsolete.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all talk about Starfleet "building ships to last", but you're forgetting about the admiral in TWoK wanting to scrap the Enterprise refit after only 20 years of age. So a design lives on for 100+ years but the individual units' lifespan is just a fifth of that? Not a good ratio.

And considering the Prometheus could put a Nebula class out of a fight with three phaser shots while the Reliant was evenly matched against a Constitution should say something about weapons grades.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting down the whole argument on the basis of the Constitution-class doesn't make sense. Very few Connies seem to have been built, and the extensive refits that they needed suggests they were built to an older, outmoded design philosophy that didn't allow for easy upgrades. Especially given the nonsensical "twenty years old" bit - the ship itself was 40 years old, the refit 15.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe at some point in the five year mission, the Enterprise was destroyed at Z'ha'dum, before being rebuilt by Admiral Morrow...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured that later model starships (like the Miranda which was no TOS refit) were built to be more upgradable than the old Connies- swappable modules and modular everything made the later TMP-era ships nigh infinitely upgradable (just look at the bridge of the Lantree).

There may be other concerns as well- the Enterprise had been in a LOT of damaging situations before the ass-kicking it took in TWOK (possibly resulting in internal framework damage not easily repaired) and it was a ship already reduced to trainer status, so why not scrap it?
It's not like it's the only ship within light years of Earth or anything. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

Just look at the state of the 1701-A when Kirk & co took command. Everything had been installed, but nothing worked, suggesting the refit of that particular vessel hadn't been a major Starfleet priority.

--------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

It's also possible that the Contitution was one of the designs that wasn't well-executed - one that wasn't able to stand the test of time, so to speak.

Not sure what the Nebula/Prometheus example shows. Starship battles aren't like warhammer or rolls of the dice; there are many variables presumably at play. In addition, we know that the weapons of starships are upgradeable (Lakota in "Paradise Lost" for example).

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole idea about the Constitution not being a well-executed design could explain why there was supposedly only 12 in Kirk's time. Of course, if you follow other schools of thought (as I do) there were tons of them lolly-gagging around...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.