Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Something that always bothered me... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something that always bothered me...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many in fact that earth was never defended in any way...
It may be that the Connie and it's refit were testbeds for new technology- stuff that went into designs with more service lifespans.
...explaning why there were only 12 in service.
Enterprise aside, it might not have been the most successful design ever made either- we saw several of the 12 get wiped out.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Enterprise aside, it might not have been the most successful design ever made either- we saw several of the 12 get wiped out.
True, several got wiped out... but they got wiped out by friggin' ridiculously powerful ships or entities. The Intrepid got nabbed by the giant amoeba-thing, the Constellation got zapped by the planet killer (but was still operational, barely!), and the Defiant just plain disappeared. The only ship we saw actually destroyed by conventional means was the Excalibur in "The Ultimate Computer." So I think those ships are tougher than you give them credit for!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. It's generally that whenever we DO see another Connie, it's in trouble - going all the way to the Yorktown in ST4 - which makes them seem pretty pathetic.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
What's that thing called where Nike builds inherent flaws in their shoes so they fall apart after five minutes and you have to buy new ones?

I think the term is "Obsolecent Society" Wherein everything has a lifespan and once it expires the thing, be it shoe, or car, will fall apart. Forcing you to buy a new one. That's one of the reasons you see all those 40 year old cars still on the road. They were built to last. While in todays world, once the warranty runs out, the thing will most likely fall to pieces.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term is "Planned Obsolescence". I first became aware of the policy when I purchaced a 1980 Chevy Monza that had a planned life of four years. And yes, I purchased it used for $2000....in 1984. A couple months later is when my mechanic enlightened me. And lightened my wallet by $600.

As for the Connies, you would have to think they're pretty tough old gals. There may have been only 12 liker her in the initial days, but we have no way of knowing the final number, not to mention all the "refits" that were produced.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I always got the impression that when a Connnie went the way of the tank top it was some big shit, not "just another starship".

Besides, who cares if they were rubbish? Anything that looks that good doesn't have to be perfect. Just look at Concorde - it used more fuel than Texas, was louder than The Who, and had less room than a bean tin, but did that realy matter? And don't you dare mention Air France or I'll come round your house and stamp on all your toys.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Indeed. It's generally that whenever we DO see another Connie, it's in trouble - going all the way to the Yorktown in ST4 - which makes them seem pretty pathetic.
Right. But like with all plot-driven stuff we must try to filter out what the ships could do under normal circumstances. It's the same as with the "rare" diseases or the "unlikely" transporter accidents which for some reason happen frequently.

All in all, I like the concept of always refitting old hulls to the newest standards. They did a bit too much with the refit in TMP. In contrast, the 24th century Mirandas and Excelsiors should at least have visually different engines and perhaps visible lifeboats and other details. But the concept is not far out.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps