Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » HMS Bounty: An idle question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HMS Bounty: An idle question
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on a little outline of the movie era, and one thing that I realized was never (apparently) established was the original name of Kruge's Bird-of-Prey before it was captured by Kirk. Was this ever established, whether it be a novel, comic, or production note? (Obviously it wouldn't be canon.) I'm just curious if this was ever done, before I start making up my own name for it.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, even Memory Beta doesn't know of any source for an original name...

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could swear that one of the novels had a throwaway, non-canon name associated with that ship, in a short story about how the "Bounty" name came to be. But it's been years upon years...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, McCoy painted it on there as a sarcastic joke.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe one of the novels gave the BOP the name of Okhrona, or something like that. Either that, or it was the Dakhron, but I think that was Chang's BOP in the novelization of The Undiscovered Country. Let me do some quick internet research.

EDIT: I was right, I think. The Dakhron was definitely Chang's BOP, and the Okhrona? is from Michael Jan Friedman's novel "Faces of Fire." Keep in mind, though, that I read this book years ago, so my memory may not be exact, but I beleive the book's subplot involved young Kruge's eventual captaincy of the BOP through assassination.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the vaguest memory that Friedman's story would have been about the ascent of Klaa, not Kruge... Also, Okrona is the name Dillard gives to Klaa's ship in the ST5:TFF novelization.

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, then I was confused about the Okrona. However, I'm pretty certain that "Faces of Fire" was about Kruge, not Klaa. What the name of the ship was in that novel, however, eludes me.

Ironically, the novelization for ST:III has the ship called simply a "Klingon fighter." It's never referred to as a Bird of Prey.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fighter"?!?
As though there would be a carrier for such a massive vessel.

Reminds me on the nonsense line in TDS9TM about how the Dominion cruiser serves as a base of operations for the smaller attack craft.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it could serve as a "base" in the way that a submarine or destroyer tender acted as bases for their respective vessels. Sources of parts, maintenance teams, etc.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I'm working on a little outline of the movie era, thwhole thing ?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
"Fighter"?!?
As though there would be a carrier for such a massive vessel.

How do you define carrier? Why not define it as a long ranged vessel which carries a vessel of less endurance into an area of operations, and deploys that vessel and provides support for it. I see no particular reason why a single BoP can't be a "fighter" embarked* on a larger, longer ranged cruiser/carrier of some sort. The BoP would simply touch base with the cruiser for a refuel and resupply every few weeks or months.

*neither do I see a reason why the BoP needs to be contained within a carriers hull. What's wrong with docking on the outside and being hauled along on the bigger ship, ramora style? If an aircraft carrier takes off at 30 knots, do all the jets parked on deck slip off the back end?

quote:
Reminds me on the nonsense line in TDS9TM about how the Dominion cruiser serves as a base of operations for the smaller attack craft.
Again, why not? Cruiser resupplies, refuels, rearms and rotates crewmen. The cruiser doesn't need sufficient internal volume to be able to accomodate all the attack craft internally at the same time. Why would it? Attack craft that are not undergoing maintenance inside the cruiser, or are not docked on the outside whilst being refueled/rearmed would travel along with the cruiser under their own power.

BTW, hi, hope you're all well. How's things? ;-)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
do all the jets parked on deck slip off the back end?
Um, they're usually tied down in some capacity, and uh, the physics is a bit different in the vacuum of space.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tractor beams.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MJF book WAS about Kruge, although I got the impression that the ship they on was much larger than a Bird-of-Prey.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lurker Emeritus
Member # 1888

- posted      Profile for Lurker Emeritus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
quote:
do all the jets parked on deck slip off the back end?
Um, they're usually tied down in some capacity, and uh, the physics is a bit different in the vacuum of space.
I was being (very obviously) facetious.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.