Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » They say plagiarism is the highest form of flattery: (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: They say plagiarism is the highest form of flattery:
Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://wiki.maquis.com/w/Nova_Assault

We're flattered - but also upset. We know that in the digital information age respecting a copyright (or even an artist) is a relative thing. Hey, if Sony and other music companies can't keep their cd content off the free-download web, why would we expect better? Frankly, I thought that a Trek fan - someone who has been waiting for years for a product like this to enjoy - would respect the years we spent creating it, respect the thousands of dollars we've invested in hardware and software, and respect our reasonable expectation for remuneration.

We'd only be 2/3 as upset if they had at least given us credit for the design. I understand that he's altered them to fit their fan club, but at least use our prints as a guide and draw your own with the changes you want to make. We expected fans to use our plans in their role-playing game etc, but to redistribute our prints to the public without asking permission just seems rude.

Those scans don't do the plans justice by the way, the colours are a mess and the quality is not even close to what the real printed ones are. The Maquis fan club should reduce the image size, and give credit instead of blatantly removing our company name and copyright information from them.

Quite a few fans have asked us why we haven't printed the Sovereign (it's designed and in our hard drives), or moved faster on the Akira. This is part of the reason.

If any of you are members of this site, you might want to let them know that this is uncool. In fact, even if you're not members, you might let them know...

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or YOU could let them know as the copyright holder...of sorts. I'd be more likely to berate them for their idiotic site concept.

On the other hand, i was curious to see what the plans looked like, so...

How did they do it anyway? You don't have downloadable whatevers on the SDP site.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophile:
... but at least use our prints as a guide and draw your own with the changes you want to make.

You're really overestimating how much work people are willing to do for something cool.

If I were you, I'd raise a holy stink. Legally, there's probably nothing you can do, seeing as the Nova is Paramount's intellectual property in the first place. But you can make them feel really bad about themselves.

Your plans are super-cool and I'd be furious too. There's no excuse for them taking your name off of them and passing them off as totally their own work.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah you can try and guilt them, but I wouldn't hold your breath. As Aban says none of us have the rights to anything we do that involves Star Trek and I've lost count of the times I've seen my work mutilated on some halfwit's RPG site.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, consider your target "market"... Did you really expect that people would pay for something like this? The vast majority of the material out there is completely free, because most people who create works in this genre do it for their love of the show, and share it because they want to share their love of Trek with other fans.

You also forgot one of the primary rules of supply and demand: price is determined not only by the cost of making an object (time, effort, materials, etc.), but also by what the consumer is willing to pay. And for the vast majority of people out there (myself included), that price is exactly $0.00! Because if I got a chance to look at the charts, I'd probably spend a grand total of five or ten minutes glancing over them, and then never look at them again. That's not worth money to me.

Now, that doesn't mean I'm endorsing copyright theft (I completely agree that it's wrong, even in this case), nor do I challenge your right to distribute your work in whatever means you see fit. I just feel, personally, that your attitude seems a bit misplaced for your chosen fandom. And if you really wanted to be able to charge for such a creation, you should've designed your own completely original starship to make deck plans for, instead.

(For the record, I've had multiple pages from my site ripped off from time to time and posted elsewhere, without any credit given. I agree that it's galling, and I don't envy your position much at all. But if you didn't want people to steal your work, then you never should have shared it in the first place, much less deluded yourself into thinking people would pay for it.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this over at SSM and assumed it was you posting the pics...untill I read some of the responses.

Totally sucks- you should contact their ISP provider and inform them about the stolen content: that usually gets it yanked (though it, of course, depends on who the provider is).
THIS is the part that should burn your ass.
quote:
Everything on this site is Copyright �1994-2006 by Maquis Forces International, unless specified in the Bibliography/Resources sections of a page. All other copyrights are property of thier respective owners.

I had no idea bout your making a soverign- I'd buy that set in an instant- on one condition.
It has to include bathrooms!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it's a wiki, why not just register an account and remove them?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We would really much rather keep it civilized. If he had come to us in the first place, we probably would have allowed it (although in a smaller resolution). I'm sending one of the officers an email requesting that they contact us immediately.

Minutiaeman, indeed we have considered our target market. Personally, I would have sold my sweet girlish laughter to afford stuff like this if someone else had done it first.

We are hoping that true fans of deck plan art will still want the hardcopies - of as many of the sets as possible. However, if this site distributes Intrepid, I may just go thermal.

--------------------

Treknophile
Member # 1869

From: Strategic Design Publications, a Division of Quantum Reality Inc.
To: Webmaster and/or President of 'Maquis Forces International' fanclub.
[email protected]

We have noted your use of our product (U.S.S. Nova Deck Plans). As fans ourselves, we were somewhat alarmed that you would blatantly post (and alter) large images of our copyrighted material without our written permission. Rather than create a spirit of animosity between us (both privately and visible to Trek fandom), we ask that you email our senior partner David Schmidt to discuss these matters. We are hopeful that we can reach a compromise which will be mutually beneficial. This would involve your acknowledgment of Strategic Design Publications as the creator of the original material (with our logo prominently displayed), notification that you have modified our original product for your own purposes, as well as an large active link on your website to our commercial website. We would also require your written agreement not to post copies of other sets of deck plans we create.

Frankly, we see this as a win-win scenario. You get to keep 'your' modified plans for your players to use as a gaming platform, and we get free advertisement, as well as your assurance that you will not pirate any additional product. More importantly, we keep a spirit of cooperation, good will, and fellowship between us - which we consider one of Mr. Roddenberry's lasting legacies.

As an aside, we are flattered that you 'selected' our product as the platform for your game. It was one of our hopes when we began this enterprise that role-playing gamers would do just that - with various products we will create. However, we would prefer that they purchase them from us.

Please respond quickly.

David Schmidt
Tim Palgut
Strategic Design Publications, a Division of Quantum Reality Inc.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds fair and reasonable to me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking as a corporate account manager and guy who regularly negotiates with all sorts of people, this is okay, though not what I'd have done. Personally, I'd START a dialogue first, and then make the proposal after you've gotten to know the guy, thus putting everything on the most amiable footing while still keeping control of the relationship. You have the moral and pseudo-legal high ground in the first place, as the creators of the artwork. Thus, you don't need to go in all at once.

Mark <---At work, thinking like I'm at work.

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a week goes without a response, call his ISP and have the content removed.
You've tried the carrott- now try the stick.

I'd try to have the entire site removed with a "removed by the copyright holder" notice put up.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, at least I like the deck plans... but not in that modified state. Nice work.

And yes, try the stick if the carrot doesn't work.

spock_mike

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Try just sending them that pic of Mike- that'll scare 'em straight.
er...so to speak.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen some of the members from that RPG. They make MikeyT look handsome by comparison.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps