Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » They say plagiarism is the highest form of flattery: (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: They say plagiarism is the highest form of flattery:
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really pisses me off. Plagiarism is just unforgivable, it's the worst. But listen to yourselves, people. You've got to say "I'm a human being, goddamnit! My life has value!".
I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

I'm serious, I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Things have got to change! But first, you've gotta get MAD! Then we'll figure out what to do about plagiarizing and show cancellations and Michael Bay. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and really say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone watched Network for the first time last night.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or was tortured while that was on and took it as his new core persona to escape the horror...
His new stats line tells it all- this "Paganini" chap must have gotten to him.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ststline's been there for ages. It's Seaman Jones.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously, stop channeling Data.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe in intellectual property as such, as in, the concept that an idea can be 'owned.' I do believe in creative property, though - to the extent that if you create something, even if its based of the creation of someone else, it ought to be your creative property. In other words, if I had my way, if you made up some deck plans, even based on Paramount's Nova class, it'd still be legally yours and the Maquis would have to pull the stuff.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well yah. It's no different than if someone (say me for instance) did a painting of the Nova Class (which I have) and someone started using it as part of the graphic header on their fan site without asking (which has happened). Just because I didn't design the Nova Class, doesn't mean the painting is up for grabs. Same thing here. Just because Treknophile didn't design the ship or come up with the idea of deck plans, doesn't mean his artwork can be grabbed and posted as someone else's work.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, I don't think that it matters a lot whether the original creator made the deck plans just for fun or whether it's being sold. It is theft of intellectual property. Although the legal situation may be different, I don't think it should matter either whether the deck plans are based on another copyrighted work (Nova) or an original ship. At least as long as the original copyright holder is accordingly credited and if the original work is not harmed (which is definitely not the case, considering that there will be never official deck plans).

The plans on that web site are a blatant rip-off of a kind that has become quite customary. It is wrong because it doesn't credit Strategic Design. And even if they did credit you it would give you a bad reputation because of the low quality of the reproduction. So, at the very least, the makers of the RPG ought to credit you *and* replace it with something better.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Send them me as an Orion Slave Girl... that should stop them.

I don't know about the IP of art... even art that is copied over and over. If it were illegal to copy artwork from Star Trek, a lot of us would have been in jail already.

Then again I'm neither an artist nor lawyer.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to admire the cojones of this guy - big brass ones no doubt.
Go to: http://wiki.maquis.com/w/Image:Nova_Bridge.jpg
Do those look familiar? Check out the 'created by' tag.
This is stolen work. Any ideas? Comment?

[ September 04, 2007, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Treknophile ]

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you linking to the right page?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bad.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. someone actually looks at that tripe? Nova Class Assault ship? uh, last i check, wasn't the marquiz, like DS9, deader than fiction?

yeah, it's rippage. It's always been easier to steal something/conquer/force 'em to reservations/etc. from someone/something/someplace/some people/etc. than making it yourself. how else does the world get by with stuff that America or Japan already made/makes/has a pattent/etc.?

or used to make... or outsourced to India...

/me ponders this and really, really gets fucking depressed....

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Treknophile
Member # 1869

Fast service!
I sent an email to this gentleman:
Samuel Cummings
International Coordinator, MFI
I received a response at 5:11 am this morning.
He apologized for the problem and said he would remove any/all images immediately.
Then he sent another email 12 minutes later, stating he had done so. I wasn't eben awake yet.
A gentleman, so far as I'm concerned.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still see it on their page. http://wiki.maquis.com/w/Nova_Assault
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps