Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » D-5 Length

Author Topic: D-5 Length
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've searched a bit but found no reference to this on Flare, or anywhere else for that matter:

TrekCore screencap

That's the ship of Duras from "Judgement", supposedly a D-5.

Earlier threads have suggested a size of 143.7 meters for the ship, but Bernd has noted that the D-5 tanker-ship's smallish crew of 12 is contrary to a cruiser's expected crew complement.

If a D-5 is really only 70 meters long, this would explain why. The D-5 may even be thought of as something akin to a proto-BoP . . . after all, one would hardly expect a guy to strap tanks onto the latest and greatest type of vessel.

The picture of the 2150's fleet of the Klingon Empire would thus look something like this:

D-5s . . . small, 70m ships, possibly an older design, though still capable of kicking Enterprise's ass). Duras had one, but to go after Archer they evidently gave him a larger . . .

BoP . . . ~115m per Bernd.

Raptor . . . ~145m per Bernd, though I guess that's derived from the thread I linked to above where the D-5 is also ~145m.

Battlecruiser (D-4, we can pretend) . . . ~225m or so.

Of course, there is counter-evidence:

1. T'Pol describes the D-5 as a battlecruiser.

2. Kor describes the D-5 as an 'old cruiser'.

3. Duras got busted in rank to weapons officer. It seems odd that they'd give him a bigger ship after that to pursue Archer.

Thoughts?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does everyone have to assume that the ship in "Marauders" was an official design? Obviously that Klingon captain was operating under the radar... probably he had a stolen/decommissioned/reserve/whatever hull and had duct-taped on a bunch of tanks to make off with his stolen booty. As for the crew complement, hell, even in contemporary times, the NX-01 ran for a couple months with just ONE PERSON at the controls; undermanned, highly-automated ships are commonplace in Trek, going all the way back to "The Search for Spock"... why must the raiding crew of twelve be considered a standard complement?

Screenshots from many episodes suggest the D5 was a much larger ship, either as big as or bigger than the NX-01. That technical screenshot was probably never even meant to be seen so close-up, anyway.

I have no idea how big the ship would actually be, but ~200 meters would be a good bet.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a Dominion ship with those nacelles.

It says "Vessel Class: Classified" - maybe Classified = don't know! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's that "official" comparison chart created by Rob Bonchune in the earlier thread:
 -
I put "official" in quotes because there's never been 100% consistency between the VFX animators.

That said, my impression of the sizes as shown on screen is that the D5 is slightly bigger than Enterprise, with the BoP slightly smaller, and the Raptor smaller than that. I'm actally reluctant to make the BoP that big, but I just watched "Borderland" last night, and it's pretty big next to the Enterprise.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The BoP may have been scaled just for "Borderland" and "Cold Station 12" because in the latter episode the ship would need to accommodate a fairly large Denobulan ship in the shuttlebay.

My length for the Raptor is 145m like on the chart just because there is no real clue, except that the ship was apparently weaker than Enterprise, while the D5 was at least a match.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, what's the deal with all those sickle-shaped nacelles?

PS: BJ, that link has a few extra "http"s in it.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:

Oops. Can't edit the original, so here's a better link:
 -

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
My length for the Raptor is 145m like on the chart just because there is no real clue, except that the ship was apparently weaker than Enterprise, while the D5 was at least a match.

I always thought the Raptor was only weaker after emerging from the gas giant because it had been largely smushed and had expended all its heavy weapons. It'd be like a rusted-out barely-running dear-heavens-how-is-it-staying-together Hummer in a head-on with a new Miata. The Miata might actually make it, simply 'cause the Hummer would largely disassemble itself on impact.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would have been nice to see him include the Terellian ship.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:

Oops. Can't edit the original, so here's a better link:
 -

A goofy comparison- the RBOP is (sadly) much larger than that- just watch the shot of it passing over the Enterprise.
The Andorian ship is larger as well.
The raptor should indeed by about 70 meters long- a pal o' mine, Nova Hobbies got an "official" length prior to making his (tiny! it's 3" long) Raptor model in 1400th scale.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.