Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda-class U.S.S. Trial NCC-1948 from WOTW (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Miranda-class U.S.S. Trial NCC-1948 from WOTW
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Bernd's site:
Check out the 24.05.07 entry on the update list!

Those of us who had speculated that the Trial (mentioned in the startrek.com database as having appeared in "Way Of The Warrior" [DS9]) was the Miranda in this shot because of the use of the same letters as in Reliant were correct! It has a registry number, too! Thanks to Larry Nemecek for the model pic!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whee!

Now I've got to figure out why NCC-1948 isn't the Knox class USS Le Malin any more.

Saaaaay... Perhaps this is a trial ship of some sort? [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

P.S. Funny how a really crappy finish on a model looks so good on screen.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you pronounce this TRY-L or Tree-al?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the US, I've always heard it pronounced TRY-al.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's just meant to be as in the word trial - as in a court trial??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I'd think of it more as an adventure type trial, the kind of thing these ships often set out on.

I'm surprised as well at how good it looks on screen. My model painting is rubbish, but it's not as sloppy as that. I suppose they were in a hurry, though. This episode had so many special effects shots, the fleet arriving at DS9 was probably almost an afterthought.

I'm looking forward to seeing more behind the scenes photos when those magazines come out.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a reference to this old ship.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting... why the hell did it take so long to publish the photo though?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The saucer section seems a little flatter than the saucer sections of other Miranda models.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Flatter"? Possibly.

"Sporting a black stripe never before associated with TOS movie era ships, but resembling TNG era saucer rim sensor assemblies"? Most definitely.

I guess this is the most recent thing the ship was trialing... [Wink]

Timo Saloniemi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you plug USS Reliant into a handy anagram generator you get quite a lot of possibilities, including Sinus, Snare, Alien Truss, Ulster, Saline, Stern, Israel, Arsine Slut, Serial, Arlen, Ares, Larsen (!), Neutral, Laurent, Renault, Lear, Slater, Tassel, Iran Tussle, Stalin Ruse, Sultan, Tulsa, Rat Isle, Slient Ursa, etc. I like "USS Alien Truss." although that would require a second set of decals for the USS.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Robert
Member # 1981

- posted      Profile for Robert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting!

So, an ERTL thin-saucer model actually did make a studio appearance! I guess this means we modelers don't absolutely have to buy all of the correction kits now to thicken the ERTL hull, depending upon the ship we're building, although they do make the model look a lot nicer!

If the saucer looks flatter its probably because we're used to seeing the Reliant/miranda with the a thicker hull, while the ERTL kit has a thinner hull; it should be 2-4 milimeters thicker to match the studio model. Its probably more of an optical or mental illusion based on what we are accustomed to seeing. Federation Models makes a correction set. I'm in the middle of using it a we speak.

I wonder what other ERTL models besides the odd Excelsior and the DS9 freak ships were also on-screen, and what their names and registries were?

Robert

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Yes, but I'd think of it more as an adventure type trial, the kind of thing these ships often set out on.

I'm surprised as well at how good it looks on screen. My model painting is rubbish, but it's not as sloppy as that. I suppose they were in a hurry, though. This episode had so many special effects shots, the fleet arriving at DS9 was probably almost an afterthought.

I'm looking forward to seeing more behind the scenes photos when those magazines come out.

So - people out there who have your own models - be they crappily painted or not - could probably do your own TV-grade space effects!?!

I'd like to see someone do that.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you have to bear in mind that the Trial was seen from quite far away and in dark lighting. If you wanted to make TV-grade effects nowadays you'd be best using CGI models rather than badly painted ERTL kits. [Razz]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Larry has several more photos of kit and kitbashed DS9 ships he plans to release when the Official Fan Club and ST Communicator relaunch in new form in the coming year.
So I wonder what they are. Other than the seven kitbashes that we've already seen, the only other ships I can think of are the "tug", and various Klingon ships they might have used model kits for. Of course, Doug Drexler told me that many people built kitbashes for the season opener, and maybe there were way more models built than just the seven we saw.

Of course it would be nice if they showed some of the models built for the unused battle footage from "Emissary." When I originally emailed Rob Legato about this (and specifically the existence of the U.S.S. Gage from the original script), he didn't seem to really know what I was talking about. He said he thought the Gage might have been the battle-damaged Reliant from ST-II, but he was in no way certain of that. And obviously if that was the truth (which I doubt), then the Reliant wasn't relabeled "U.S.S. Gage."

Come to think of it, the Tolstoy was in the original "Emissary" script, too...maybe there was a new model of it built as well? [Wink]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps