Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Runabout/Nova-Class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Runabout/Nova-Class
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hathaway was also kinda operational.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means "Operational" to mean "Active Service", which the Hathaway clearly wasn't. And the Constellation-ship Aban is thinking of was sent as part of Picard's fleet to uncover the Romulans' involvement in the Klingon civil war. Since a point was made in that episode about how Starfleet was strapped for ships, it's possible that ship had been in mothballs at a Starbase, and was used for the same purposes at the Hathaway.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone got pictures or details as to Rick's ideas for these 'non' Oberth Ambassador era designs!?! Can anyone ask about them??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since a point was made in that episode about how Starfleet was strapped for ships, it's possible that ship had been in mothballs at a Starbase, and was used for the same purposes at the Hathaway.
And to be super-anal, when they re-used to model for the blockade fleet, it was still labeled "Hathaway," so you could argue that it's even the same ship.

And "Identity Crisis" seemed to imply, because of comments like "ex-Victory personnel" that the Victory had been decommissioned by that time (although this is just speculation).

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to be super-duper-anal...
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
And by "The Battle" they knew it was worthwhile to spring for new Starfleet designs, as the Stargazer was first going to be Constitution-class.
Actually, the Stargazer was always supposed to be the type of ship represented by the model in Picard's ready room (which would only later come to be known as the Constellation class). Only by the time of "The Battle," they had to quickly replace it with a substandard-looking Constitution class model when they made the decision to go with the movie Enterprise. Luckily, Greg Jein had his model ready in time for post-production.
I think you miss my point here... The model in Picard's ready room was always supposed to be some "former command". Had no name or class name. When they did "The Battle" and we were going to see Picard's old ship, they were going to have it be a Constitution just to get across he hadn't seen it in a while. But two things happened more-or-less simultaneously: someone pointed out that the Constitution class should have been way retired by the time Picard was in Starfleet, and someone else pointed out this nifty model sitting in Picard's ready room that could be made into a more detailed model to represent his old ship. In the episode, you can see both Geordi and Wesley shape the word "constitution" which is then overdubbed with the word "constellation". It wasn't a goof -- it was something changed in post.

I know about the model switch whilst the proto-Constellation was being examined to build the filming miniature from. I wasn't talking about that crappy Constitution. I'm talking about the episode itself.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I knew what you were talking about [Big Grin]

However, I'd have to disagree with you over one thing. The name "Stargazer" as Picard's former command was established way back in the novelization of "Encounter at Farpoint," which came out before TNG even premiered. (However, I don't recall the novel stating a class name or even a description of the ship). So when "EaF" aired, that ready-room model was clearly supposed to be the Stargazer.

And the story I heard was a bit different than your info (not saying you're wrong, just that I heard another story that may well be false). I heard or read that the producers, writers, etc. had every intention of building a new Stargazer filming model for "The Battle" based on the ready-room model. However, like the Hood and the Tsiolkovsky, the budget-watchers didn't want to spend the money, so yet another movie model would be reused, this time the movie Enterprise (as for the age of the ship, remember that at the time there wasn't a consistent dating scheme for TNG, so they could have rewrote the script to say that TNG took place only thirty or so years from the movies). Luckily, Greg Jein built his model anyway, and on time for post-production, so that the new model was used.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reality was probably a combination of all of that. *heh* And I've somehow never acquired the "Encounter at Farpoint" novelization. I wonder how I missed that.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really sad about those Oberth plans coming to fruition.(Actually I just posted a response for the wrong thread, so this is a cop out.)
Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it will fit! You just have to use Landing Procedure 'B' for barricade.

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps