Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Daedalus" class model from Chronology & Sisko's Desk (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Daedalus" class model from Chronology & Sisko's Desk
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all:

I was just at the Star Trek Experience in Vegas and shot a lot of photos of Greg Jein's Daedalus class model, which he built for The Star Trek Chronology book, and which later appeared on SIsko's Desk (I believe). I've not seen a lot of detailed photos of this, so I thought I'd share.

-

Excuse the fuzziness of some of the images. I was doing handheld in low light with no flash and sometimes my hands weren't as steady as I'd like!

Full photo set here!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, awesome. Thanks!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, from quick glance it appears as though this ship doesn't have an obvious deflector array/sensor dish. Those four windows on the front of the secondary hull look like lounge windows of some sort, possibly for a rec deck or maybe even an arboretum.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Really?)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux snuck in and deflected my VGS-directed snark.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those portals are some sort of technology akin to a deflector/sensor thingy. The gold ring around the larger structure has that gold ring around it - I'd say it's part of that whole system.

Remember the E-D primary hull secondary deflectors were just those squares on the ventral side of the hull.

Couldn't get round to photograph from the back, eh? Oh well. Nice job!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes me wonder why nobody else ever took pics of it. Great pics particularly the view from below. I don't think we've seen that indent on the "saucer"(?) before.

Is that a Danube class above it? I thought they'd sold that off now. Good to see they've kept some of this stuff.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet photos.

Based on the size of the other portholes, the circles in question would be gi-normous windows. I vote for some kind of deflector.

Interesting side note... there appear to be windows on the ventral side of the neck too. I'm assuming they're some other detail and just look like windows. Perhaps this could be considered the 24th century's version of an ERTL kit and thus, not 100% accurate to the real thing.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think this thing is beautiful, and the most convincingly pre-TOS-looking design we've seen. Can't get my head around why so many dislike it so much. (This is not directed specifically at the posters in this thread, however.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Sweet photos.

Based on the size of the other portholes, the circles in question would be gi-normous windows. I vote for some kind of deflector.

Interesting side note... there appear to be windows on the ventral side of the neck too. I'm assuming they're some other detail and just look like windows. Perhaps this could be considered the 24th century's version of an ERTL kit and thus, not 100% accurate to the real thing.

I saw that too... maybe the gravity plating in the 'neck'/'tube'/'tunnel' is different due to the position of the nacelle pylons... or something?

Maybe the designer thought it'd be cool to have windows below you - as you walk across a deck made of transparent aluminium! [Smile]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing the hull detail up close makes me think that the secondary hull actually has all the important machinery crammed in front. Aft of this area, there are two gigantic "hatches" on the top of the cylinder. Those might actually open, or then they might at least indicate a continuous volume inside. Sort of like the ship were towing a cylindrar payload...

Nice to see some asymmetric detail at the bow. Is that horizontal black line close to the top of the sphere a panoramic window...?

Also, "United Federation" rather than "United Federation of Planets". I guess it's similar to US versus USA.

The four roundels at secondary hull bow could be anything, but if this is the part where the main engines are, large observation windows are IMHO not a good idea. Perhaps those are cover plates for plug-in antimatter pods? They obviously don't enjoy a field forward. But I guess they could be sensors directed downwards to survey planetary surfaces when this baby overflies them.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Nice to see some asymmetric detail at the bow. Is that horizontal black line close to the top of the sphere a panoramic window...?

It has skylight windows too! Must be a pretty nice lounge.

Now.. was this ship really supposed to be only about 100 meters in length? It doesn't seem particularly cramped or especially tiny...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

Back of the sphere - wouldn't that be an impulse engine?

Back of the cylinder - that's the shuttlebay.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to think that the Daedalus model was supposed to be a LOT larger than the Encyclopedia suggests. Look at the inline image above, and specifically the "right" side of the sphere visually near the starboard warp nacelle. It looks like there's a second row of windows just below the main row. Almost as if the rows of windows are supposed to be for every third deck. That would suggest an intended length somewhere in the realm of 200+ meters, not 100.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also don't know how big thos windows are. They could be small portholes the size of the O shape formed by your hands.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.