Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Probert's in-process computer model of the original Ambassador class

Author Topic: Probert's in-process computer model of the original Ambassador class
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder_STORE/Folder_CONCEPT-KITS/Ambassador_Kit.html

Looked interesting; thought I'd post it. Go to the page frequently because it always changes.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see this design come to life.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say the dorsal view is a little disappointing so far. If it were me I'd keep the lines of the secondary hull straight, rather than curve them back towards the aft, so as to move the nacelles slightly further out. Perhaps even shorten the hull a bit so it doen't look quite so much like a tail.
The nacelles themselves could do with being a little more ellipsoid than circular, not quite as flattened as the Galaxy's, but just enough to give them more width than height. As it is their length makes them look too skinny.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Probert is taking the concept of a "stepping stone" between Excelsior/Constitution refit and Galaxy very literally here. The tall and skinny nacelles morph into the broad TNG ones by going through this circular cross section phase; the stick-out superstructures and impulse assemblies begin to blend into smooth shapes; the canted edge of the saucer thins out towards the TNG norm; and the long, straight tail only slowly shortens and narrows into the truncated but broad and flat Galaxy version.

Aesthetically speaking, though, I'm all with Reverend's ideas. Then again, the resulting ship would differ only minimally from the Galaxy, which may be one concern here.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Reverend and Timo. It is too fat (or the nacelles are too close) and too much tapered (or too much of an concave curvature). Well, Probert was probably disappointed most of all that the Jein/Sternbach Ambassador wound up with a simple Constitution-like tube as a secondary hull instead of something almond-shaped.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're curious, Probert himself (and Sternbach as well) has been providing a few comments on the design over at TrekBBS . (And yes, it's already been confirmed that it really is him.)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tempted, but I'd probably get my arse shot off in there.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, history seems to show that the shooting off of asses happens much mroe frequently here than there. [Razz]

I always liked this design, though the "real" Ambassador remains one of my favorite overall shapes. In my mind, this is what bridges the "real" Ambie with the Galaxy. There was an earlier sketch of Probert's bridge module, which is a barely modified version of the E-D bridge set.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great modeler called Jupiter Station made a nice Amby Prototype kit last year and I just posted pics of my completed version after hearing all the hubbub:

I got a early cast of the kit from the man himself, but it was before the kit's decals were ready so I used a combonation of JT Graphics's "Enterprise C" decals and some I made myself on Adobe Illustrator.

Piccys:
 -
 -
 -
 -

I'm happy with the end result- of course now Probert's going to probably go in a whole new direction with his...I know it'll have a more Galaxy-ish bridge than the Amby does, for example. [Wink]

At first I was not thrilled with the nacelles being so close together, but now I sorta dig it- it makes the saucer that much more impressive to look at (sorta a forced-perspective thing) and really sets the design apart from the stock Ambassador (if it only had minor changes, I probably would not have bothered building it).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad, but I it would have looked nicer if the deflector had been a symmetric oval like in Probert's sketch. In any case, nice job.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The oval deflector makes the design look too far towards the Galaxy side of the lineage.
Consider that (officially) there is no other ship class that looks anything like the Ambassador (either version)- it was the big "breakaway" design.
Freakin' huge by the standards of that era: probably to support long-term exploration missions.
For all we know, the Amby's massive size is to hold all the provisions, shuttles and even colony-building equipment needed for such a mission....
I always thought such a class would probably be the ones to construct those subspace relay stations (mostly from pre-fab parts) so they would have a line of communication with the Federation as they explored outward.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Ambassador job! Though to my taste the nacelles are too close together.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that all of Andrew's in-progress pictures have been placed online here:

http://www.trekplace.com/l1d_probertambassador.html

It's great seeing the evolution of a ship from a painting, even if it is a 20 year-old design...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.