Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy class rim (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galaxy class rim
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or they're for larger open spaces than we've seen on the E-D. If I recall Probert had intended for the Galaxy to have a large Promenade like area, which makes sense, with a ship that large there's plenty of spare volume for a two or three deck open space. As for all the windows, I tend to think there's a psychological element to that. Specifically of a ship as big and as complex as the Galaxy it'd be easy to get claustrophobic, especially since a good percentage of the ship's include civilians it's a bigger concern than it would be if it was an all Starfleet crew. So I think it's fair to say that they put windows wherever they can and try to arrange the internal layout so quarters and rec areas are closer to the hull. It's one of the reasons I get a little annoyed when they put paintings of space scenes in all the quarters. I'd be more sensible to have pictures of familiar landscapes if you ask me.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or with the prevalence of display technology, some kind of panel (holo?) display which could simulate a window (any window really). All of which gets away from the real reason: They wanted the ship to look huge and densely populated. Which it does. I always wanted to see an episode where for once the sensors go out and the captain orders everyone to go look out their windows to try and spot the bad guys hunting them in the nebula or whatever it was that week.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were the Voyager era, I might agree, however in TNG holo-technology was nowhere near as prevalent. If I recall, the pilot features Riker's first visit to a holodeck.

As for looking out the window, I recall they did that a few times, though I think Picard specifically had Geordie go take a look. It might have been the one with the space station/god and the Logans run rejects with a Texan zeal for capital punishment, not sure exactly.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If I recall, the pilot features Riker's first visit to a holodeck.
Possibly. Or then it was his first visit to a digital high-definition technicolor holodeck. Sure, he's awed - but possibly by the program rather than by the machinery. While Data preaches to him like talking to a complete noob, all Riker has to say on the matter is "I didn't believe these could be so real". Perhaps he's been using a much crappier set on the Hood until then.

One wonders what he'd think of real windows. The Excelsior and Oberth classes wouldn't have too many of those; did his previous assignments on those kinds of ship warrant him a view?

Timo Saloniemi

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Data took over the ship due to Soong's programming, Riker did say that the only way they knew they had dropped out of warp was somebody looked out a window.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
quote:
If I recall, the pilot features Riker's first visit to a holodeck.
Possibly. Or then it was his first visit to a digital high-definition technicolor holodeck. Sure, he's awed - but possibly by the program rather than by the machinery. While Data preaches to him like talking to a complete noob, all Riker has to say on the matter is "I didn't believe these could be so real". Perhaps he's been using a much crappier set on the Hood until then.

One wonders what he'd think of real windows. The Excelsior and Oberth classes wouldn't have too many of those; did his previous assignments on those kinds of ship warrant him a view?

Timo Saloniemi

Well he was the XO of the Hood, so I should think so. Having said that, Sulu's quarters on the Excelsior didn't have a window (given that the set was a re-use of Kirk's, I believe) so who knows.
Perhaps windows are reserved for communal areas.

I should also point out that we have seen quarters on the E-D which didn't have any windows, holographic or otherwise. Worf, Data & Geordi's spring to mind, to say nothing of the junior officers quarters from "Lower Decks".

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf's, Goerdi's, and Data's were reuses of the movie officer's quarters set, but purportedly were in the Deck 2 superstructure, with skylights instead of windows, which we never saw, because we never saw the full ceiling of those sets.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps