Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » My condensed shiplist update as of 12/2007 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My condensed shiplist update as of 12/2007
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I just have one question : Why would you assume that, just because the ship doesn't have "U. S. S." painted on it, there's definitely no "USS" in the ship's name?

If you're referring to the Antares, all we really have to go on is what Okuda said:

"We're using the red script names (similar to the original shuttles) on the sides of these ships, with no 'USS' prefix, so it's ambiguous as to whether these are Starfleet or merely of Federation registry."

So it's ambiguous.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Well, I really don't like the idea of human Starfleet becoming the exact same as Federation Starfleet. That just really underscores the "Homo sapiens-only club" aspect of the Federation. I'd rather believe it isn't the same.

Earth played an instrumental role in the founding of the Federation (there's no way the Tellerites, Andorians, and Vulcans would have successfully banded together if not for Earth's mitigating presence) and afterwards Earth became the capital of the UFP. Earth's space navy, Starfleet, expanded to include and absorb those of the other member worlds. Of course, it still seems that there are also native defense forces in addition to SF, but humans make up the majority of SF, "Federation Standard English" is the official language, etc. That may seem odd to some but that's the way it's been consistently portrayed throughout the various series and films.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice list. Looks a lot like my own, which started life as Tim's but has evolved since then (but hasn't been updated in ages, now, I really must get to it). Houbolt/Gihlan? Don't think I remember the G'mat either. And I note there's an Excalibur of some new design in the latest Star Trek Online shots. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Houbolt/Gihlan was a Constellation class ship mentioned by Sternbach in his article on Constellation class ships in the Star Trek Magazine. He indicated it was one of the ships built of the class and was renamed for Commodore Gihlan who intiated the development project. G'Mat was on one of those lists that Sisko had on incoming and outgoing station traffic.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Nice list. Looks a lot like my own, which started life as Tim's but has evolved since then (but hasn't been updated in ages, now, I really must get to it). Houbolt/Gihlan? Don't think I remember the G'mat either. And I note there's an Excalibur of some new design in the latest Star Trek Online shots. . .

Thanks. ST Online is definitely noncanonical, isn't it?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who gets to decide what's canonical, anyway? I mean with no shows currently in production, and different producers having worked on all of them, and Gene not exactly around to say anything about it...is it just fan consensus? Or what?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I guess it's pretty much what's always been canonical is and what has always been noncanonical isn't, until/unless something gets changed. (The recent recanonization of TAS and the potential continuity issues with the upcoming film for example.) Games, novels, etc. have always been noncanonical.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although with the number of people that add those ships to their lists shouldn't sub-canonical be used? They are part of the franchise, just not the sit and watch kind.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps