Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 1701 built on earth's surface? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 1701 built on earth's surface?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, two more days until the teaser hits the cinemas, and obviously, it *does* show the construction of the ship on earth's surface. Over at trekmovie.com, people complain that it has always been said she's been built in space blabla..., to which I replied that this clearly shows that Starfleet builds some of their stuff on planetary surfaces.

So, let's discuss this among the experts. [Cool]

The Big E built *in* rather than *above* San Francisco: could it be? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FAIL.

--------------------
"I never agreed with Jefferson once—we have fought on like seventy-five different fronts. But when all is said & all is done...Jefferson HAS beliefs; Burr has none."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nono.. because that's a nasty thread with too many spoilers!

To be honest... building a starship on the surface is very high tech of course! It fits very well with the Jefferies 'shirt-sleeve' environment doctrine [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it christmas yet?
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m sorry, stupid question, but is that genuine? No fan-creation but the actual upcoming-movie Enterprise???

If so, thanks Mirror-Amasov!

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so it is. I went to TrekBBS and Trekmovie and the people discussing them image are mostly annoyed over the nacelles apparently. Too huge seems to be the overwhelming consensus. Personally, I think they project an image of power. And of course, it might just be the perspective.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

It's from the trailer. And I think the nacelle-size-problem relates to the fact that we are relatively close to the saucer here. Usually, the camera is much further away. Even though it's CG, you have to keep it real. Just as you would if this was a real set you can actually film. If you did, it would look just like that. (Or the nacelles would look blurred, depending on the lense you use).
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. That was linked to already, no need to put it into the thread like that.
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't see that.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if the bulges at the front of the nacelles on the GK version would acocunt for the naceles looking so large. . .

http://www.gabekoerner.com/ent/enterprise_hd_001.jpg

. . . but they look even larger than that. *shrug*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, looking at it again, if the canards visible in the dockyard shot are at the very rear of the nacelles like in the GK version (and the original? Buggered if I can remember whether they were there on the TOS version), it'll give a clue as to quite how foreshortened the real thing is in that pic.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realy don't like that, for all of the afformetntioned reasons and more.

I've looked at my photos, my digital stuff ripped from the net, Gabe K's site, even my old models that I have, clamped and looked at thorugh different lenses, and I can't reconsile the nacelles placement (although the size seems OK, give or take) in this picture. And the hull lettering - what's that noise Sideshow Bob makes?

As for the ship being built on Earth, I don't know. From a logistical point of view, the usefullness of having your workforce beinag able to work in shirtsleeves, and presumably close to the yard makes it cheaper and safer for them.

Realy my beef is with the ship having a shape that suggests the spaceframe needs the SIF up and running to keep it together in an atmosphere. Unless you build it on a big frame, like in a drydock. The other issue is getting it into space, but again, we've seen the E flying in an atmosphere.

There is no reason against building the E on the ground, but we've seen ships built in orbit a century earlier (and the Columia was in a more primitive state when we first saw her wasn't she?).

Besides, the movie's gonna be crap anyway, lets just ignore it, like we do with the fifth one.

Edit: It might just be that the trailer has nothing to do with the story of the movie though - the tagline "under construction" etc, and the ship we see here might not be the finished product.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good point. I mean, Pike is supposed to be in the movie, so if this is the ship under construction, it could well have been modified by the time Kirk gets it, so it'll look more similar to the 1701 we all know and love. Just as The Cage version is different from the series version.

It's a possibility at least.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
I really don't like that, for all of the afformetntioned reasons and more.

I've looked at my photos, my digital stuff ripped from the net, Gabe K's site, even my old models that I have, clamped and looked at thorugh different lenses, and I can't reconsile the nacelles placement (although the size seems OK, give or take) in this picture. And the hull lettering - what's that noise Sideshow Bob makes?

As for the ship being built on Earth, I don't know. From a logistical point of view, the usefullness of having your workforce beinag able to work in shirtsleeves, and presumably close to the yard makes it cheaper and safer for them.

Realy my beef is with the ship having a shape that suggests the spaceframe needs the SIF up and running to keep it together in an atmosphere. Unless you build it on a big frame, like in a drydock. The other issue is getting it into space, but again, we've seen the E flying in an atmosphere.

There is no reason against building the E on the ground, but we've seen ships built in orbit a century earlier (and the Columia was in a more primitive state when we first saw her wasn't she?).

Besides, the movie's gonna be crap anyway, lets just ignore it, like we do with the fifth one.

Edit: It might just be that the trailer has nothing to do with the story of the movie though - the tagline "under construction" etc, and the ship we see here might not be the finished product.

wow. here's a hankie, get used to it (likely you bitch much more in '08 as we learn more...

[Big Grin]

well, teaseing aside Sir Ginger, don't automatically assume it'll suck. SURE, the teaser may possibly even be misinformation, on the level of Cloverfield. considering that both movies are made by JJ-A, your opinion has some merit backing it. the finished product could be intentially be different (i still personally think someone at Paramount is HUMPING the reset button that First Contact provided to us) but, what if GK's Ent looks more like what JJ-A will debeoy at X-mas? i mean, can someone check, for example if GK's design is TM'ed yet? by GK? or Paramount? another angle to wiggle insider information after all is merchantdising... legalise is legal informed...

[Wink]

cause all the looks ive seen of GK's Ent and the Tease look awefully simular. i guess the best is to ask GK to provide a pic of his ENT mess from nose view. the sheet of metal that rests on top the nacelles (the bulges that Lee mentions) cut curves up and away from our POV. and it seems most people think the GK Ent looks as close to the Teaser Ent as possible.

my money is there might be more to link GK with JJ-A that what we know....

ok, im ranting...

and to further muddy the beer stew with can's...

how many ship's would be manufactured at any one time? for where the ENT was being built, is the Conny herself already finished? any others started? Ship yards being large messy places after all, how much of of Sac-Town/Oakland/SF is dedicated for Ship Yard Work? what other ships are being built on earth? or elsewhere in the UFP?

hehehehehe, ya think JF's Saladin class gonna even seen, built or will Paramount totally bullshit the JF family and still saddle us with the Two Motor/Bussard Collector LOS shite?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.