Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 1701 built on earth's surface? (Page 9)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 1701 built on earth's surface?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the SIF and IDF are operating, yes. Which I don't expect whilst the vessel is still being welded together.

The warp coils are made in microgravity furnaces in orbit, so the alloys are perfectly blended and not stratified at all. They're the most massive parts of the ship. Why make them off the surface, land them, assemble the engine, attach them to the ship, and then use the impulse engines and thrusters (and probably tugs) to lift them back off the surface?

(And warp drive is non-Newtonian. You could cross the galaxy at a standstill, relatively speaking. [Wink] )

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When the SIF and IDF are operating, yes. Which I don't expect whilst the vessel is still being welded together.
Why not? You don't think they're capable of projecting them from the construction facility?

When did they say on-screen the coils are made in orbit? Anyway they have anti-gravity, hence they could build the coils - or, say, the whole ship - in micro-gravity on the surface.

Did they ever say it's non-Newtonian, even, on-screen? They definitely have inertial dampers for *some* reason after all. Even if the *warp* drive is non-Newtonian, the impulse drive sure isn't. Hence the name. And the accelerations involved in getting up to full impulse, which is .25c, in any reasonable amount of time are still a hell of a lot more than 9.8m/s^2.

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps