Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira class renders (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Akira class renders
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that my family will pay for very little of my final education, so I will have to either get a lot of scholarships ( good grades better get me somewhere), loans, and a part time job(s), or join the service, which looks like one of the best options right now.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Actually most of us pay for schooling with massive amounts of debt owed to various banks and financial institutions, coupled with scholarships and grants. The remainder is most usually paid by family members [Big Grin]

Yeah, I always joke that when I graduate I'll have my $50k ring. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you choke on it.
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I paid for school with help from my family, educational grants, scholarships, and student loans. During grad school my tuition was paid for and I received a monthly salary for doing research for my graduate adviser. Research student; it's not just a job, it's indentured servitude!

Despite all these sources of income, I had to take out several loans during grad school. We'll have my loans paid off around the time our oldest daughter starts college.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Barack Obama just recently paid his own student loans off.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be bitter Dan [Wink]
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he's like what, in his 40's. That seems to be the average age that these things get paid off ( my parents just finished theirs). His schooling could have cost a great deal more than normal too, if he went to a prestigious school.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why I'm bitter [Razz] Go to college, your parents and teachers tell you, so you can get a good job and be successful! And then you spend 20 years paying back the debt you incurred, whereas in most other countries people are taking 5 years to pay them back if they needed them at all. 40 years old, you're halfway to dead, it shouldn't take that long to get on your feet and finally own your own ass.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did two years of further education, one in college the other in sixth form. The only cost I incurred (aside from bus fare) was loosing my �80 library deposit when I dropped out of the College course. Which was a bastard since I never used the place.
My GCSE's were shite, so I never even got as far as A-Levels, so I'm debt free and getting low to mid paying jobs on the basis of experience, skill and of course nice references!

I have very little faith in the further education system since I've worked alongside and even trained people who've spent several years in Uni only to find there's no demand in the field they studied or they're overqualified (which must be a real bastard) so unless you have a VERY clear direction in life (like doctor, teacher or engineer) I can't say that it's worth all that hassle and money. But that's just me, I could be very easily be completely wrong.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I think the UK has a higher rate of secondary education graduates than the US. It seems to me almost everybody I know works in a factory or fast food. Most of the college graduates I meet are nurses or people with computer science degrees.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I have very little faith in the further education system since I've worked alongside and even trained people who've spent several years in Uni only to find there's no demand in the field they studied or they're overqualified (which must be a real bastard) so unless you have a VERY clear direction in life (like doctor, teacher or engineer) I can't say that it's worth all that hassle and money. But that's just me, I could be very easily be completely wrong.

Hence I get the $50k ring. Engineer FTW.

It occurs to me that the Iron Ring is a Canadian thing, apparently. Read about it here.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, I want to be a teacher, specifically highschool US history and Global Studies, so I think College is a must.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Fabrux: Yeah, I thought you were just making a joke. It looked to me like one of those nuts used to hold sections of pipe together.

Sean: Yeah, but all the students in the "real" majors will be looking down on you, and you won't have anyone to pick on but the Liberal Arts and Philosophy majors [Big Grin] Kidding, of course.... ...although not about the Liberal Arts majors...

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
His schooling could have cost a great deal more than normal too, if he went to a prestigious school.

Obama got his bachelor's at Columbia University. Later he went to Harvard Law School. That would explain why he didn't pay off his loans until recently, despite a darn good income.

I'm sure a couple others at this site could tell you that engineering pays relatively well and can be a satisfying career. It consistently ranks as one of the most profitable salaried jobs. If you want to do any better, you'll have to go to law school or medical school.

For me, the biggest drawback to an education in engineering is that I can't seem to read any sci-fi books or watch sci-fi movies nowadays without shouting something about violations of the second law of thermodynamics or the writer's complete ignorance of Newton's laws. And I just can't stand how poorly writers and moviemakers understand radiation and radioactivity. No, you do not decontaminate someone after radiation exposure! You might as well decontaminate them after exposure to visible or UV light!

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I could never be an engineer. Sure the field as a whole interests me, and finding out why things do what they do would be cool, but I'm terrible with numbers and see no point to math ( I can do it just fine, but I see no point in a lot of the things math encompases). THat's why I like history. It has already happened. In most cases, there is no disputing that it happened, just why and how. That's what interests me.
I hear teachers get a pretty good wage these days, and you get to interact with and influence people.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps