Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shields during the Dominion War (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Shields during the Dominion War
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same technology later used for Seven of Nine, of course. Pioneered by T'Pol....

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just how much punishment can the SIF take, do you think? I've always thought the SIF was indeed a backup for the shields, powered up further in a red-alert situation; but I can't remember why I've always thought that.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always believed that the SIF was used to keep the ship in one piece IF the hull was compromised, but that after you get to a certain point of damage ( swiss cheese starship) it wont do you any good. It would be a good idea however, to prevent the hull from breaching in the first place though. In non combat situations the SIF would be used to handle everyday stresses put on the ship, like travelling at warp speed and the like.

On a similar note, upon watching ST II The wrath of Khan last night, i noticed that the enterprise's hull did not seem to breach. Reliant's phasers and photons left scars and burn marks, and plasma conduits and the like most likely ruptured on the inside of the ship, but there was no mention of the hull breaching. This is unlike in ST VI TUC where a klingon torp. went clean through the hull. Perhaps there is infact some sort of armor on the ship. ( or khan just did not know how to aim the weapons correctly, and was using a lower weapon yeild.)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the SIF is necessary to keep such an ungainly thing in one piece under any acceleration at *all.* Look at the necks on some of those ships, and at the proportion of some of those saucers to the rest of the ship - the inertial differences would rip it in half at even a hundredth of impulse power.

I don't think warp speed puts too much stress on the hull, as long as the field is uniform - it's quite non-Newtonian, and I don't think any relativistic or 'real' acceleration is involved. In the case of warp, the nav deflector is the most important bit of hardware; a hydrogen atom at thousands of times c will tear through a hell of a lot.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah well, so i dont know my physics...

It would be interesting to see "endgame" style ablative armor outfitted on future vessels. Starfleet having all their ships fly around encased in a duranium bubble would be quite amusing.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

No, you know your *real* physics, but the warp drive doesn't operate on real science; it's all made up.

Oooh yeah. Ablative armor generators. Those things kick serious ass.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

About the armour generators...

i assume that the generators replicate a shell around the ship, which then becomes one solid piece of metal.

If the armor is down to 0%, does the whole thing break away, or just disappear?. If it could be punctured like a normal hull ( after it had degraded to 0%) it could theoretically be a "second layer" under full strength armor, and once the armor is all gone, you have shields, and then the fragile hull. This could in theory give the ship more time to survive in battle, and more time to disable the enemy...

Revanche
Member # 953

- posted      Profile for Revanche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Unicorn Games had ablative armor as an added layer over the hull that dispersed energy (either direct or kinetic) via conduction and radiation. I prefer that over a replicator system that worked on the scale of coating the whole ship. In fact, if there was such a replicator technology, that would seem higher-tech than the collapsing armor ADM Janeway brought to Voyager in the last ep.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, i was always under the assumption that adm janeway's tech was based on replicator technology. All that Armor has to come from somewhere, and the emmitters are too small and far apart to contain all the armor needed to cover the ship
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, if it is based on known methods of replicator tech, then where would the matter used in the armor be stored when it's not in use? We're talking about a shell that encompasses the entire outer surface of a ship. You're basically keeping a spare hull inside a ship.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Replicators don't necessarily need matter, just power. Energy-to-matter conversion. Energy being the same as matter, but in a different state, has been known since Einstein.

Sean - I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly, but if I am, you seem to think the ablative armor generators put a "bubble" around the ship. That's not true - it hugs the hull, it's physically touching it and attached. Also, the armor doesn't disappear or anything when it hits "0%" - it's just metal, formulated to be very very fragile and with a low evaporation point, so that when weapons hit it, it disperses the energy by evaporating/exploding (or probably deflagrating rapidly). It's like how water cools a surface down by evaporating - it takes the heat energy away from the surface as it leaves, energy it needs to break the hydrogen bonds with the other water molecules. However, water doesn't degrade until it hits 0% 'integrity' and then suddenly it all boils off at once.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Ahh... 0h well, to me it looked like there was atleast a few meters between the hull and armor.

Now to explain to my chemistry teacher that i learned more about chem from a star trek message board than i did from him....

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I learned more biology and math farting around on the internet than I ever learned in school, and I even have a shiny medal somewhere in the basement left over from high school related to biology...Public education sucks [Wink]
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

The subject itself wouldn't be so hard if i wasn't sick from school so often.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the beer didn't bother me in the least, but school made me ill all the time.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.