Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shields during the Dominion War (Page 3)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Shields during the Dominion War
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, perscription medication will do that to ya too. Damned nasty side effects.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, which made you sicker, the meds or the school?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The meds, i actually live for school. Especially because one of my teachers is a
huge trekkie. And I mean spock ears in the desk type [Big Grin]

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My music teacher in 3rd-5th grades had a Trek collection worth so much that she leased it to museums as temporary exhibits.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Mother nature has called again. 65 mph winds means no school today, so i get to sleep. it also means that most of the area is without power, and flooded, thanks to the extra 8ft of water level that lake erie has obtained in the last 8 hours. A house down the road from mine has a 25 ft pin tree impaled in it's second story.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question I've always wanted to ask when I see severe weather on the news...is it as fun as it looks in spite of the danger? I was in two Texas thunderstorms that deposited 6in of water in two or three hours, and all the runoff ran straight into campus...and that was a *lot* of fun. Thigh-deep water in some places near storm drains. Lots of workers in rubber waders with big long rakes constantly stirring up the leaves so the water would drain.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, i guess it is cool most of the time. Here in hamburg ( suburb of Buffalo,NY), we get a good wallop of snow each year, mad worse by the lake effect thet lake erie provides. This little oopsie was nothing compared to what we had last october. Like the first or second week of the month and this huge storm front hit. snow, strong winds, no power...
everything was closed for the week. more about this here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Storm_%22Aphid%22

It is fun to have a snow day ( i guess there's a reason they alot 7 or more into the year), and watching things unfold is quite fun.( as long as you dont have to drive in it) I have come to learn that it is not THAT the wind is blowing, but WHAT the wind is blowing. While walking around in 40+ mph winds is not fun, imagine having to avoid trash cans as they speed towards your head, or a sheet metal road sign imbedded i your front porch. The 2-4 ft of snow that an average storm around here deposits in the winter is fine, infact it's beautiful, almost like a postcard. The only time that it becomes a major issue is when that snow is comming down so thick you cant see, or when that snow is being tossed around by the wind, and deposited in other places ( the inside of your boxer shorts one of the most unpleasant.)

Put it this way, if it is the first burst of bad weather of the season, it is fun. Once you're into jan or feb, it turns from fun to a pain in the ass. Maybe if we had less than 7 months of winter it would be more fun. [Big Grin]

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Come to think of it, i would like to visit tornado alley durring the tornado season. I wouldn't want to chase it, but just witnessing it would be fun i guess.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nahh, kind of bland with the roofs of large stores being ripped off, people trapped in theaters for a couple of days with no power, power poles leaned every which way, tree limbs falling all about. The light show can be kind of cool though.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It actually gets very boring, because the TV weatherman is always interrupting your frakkin show (did I spell "frak" correctly?) to warn you about severe thunderstorm this and supercell that. Yeah, like the view outside the window didn't inform me that it was about to get pretty severe ... ;P You learn to discount most of the tornado watches, since they put them out *so* often and it so rarely turns into anything real. I think I've been in a town where a tornado actually touched town four times, three in Illinois and once in Texas. Where I live is so sparsely populated that even though tornadoes hit all season, they rarely are going to be right near you, and usually they're out in a cornfield somewhere.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Yeah, Dan, but the corn fields can be right in downtown here too.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

lol Yes, indeed they can, but I was really more pointing out the area of land which is *only* cornfield (or soy field or very occasionally barley field where I live) and which doesn't also have people living very near it. I can only speak about central Illinois here, but most everybody is concentrated in tiny pocket towns with lots of farmland in between that has the kind of population density where your nearest neighbor is between two and ten miles away.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Dan, I am talking about the same place. Take the cornfield behind the Sec. of State's main office. Of course, that has gotten smaller since the Rupnik brothers start expanding there.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

My dad works as a paramedic for an air medical transport company, and the helicopter he was on was actually "chased" by a tornado a few years ago. My mom and i had to deliver him a fresh pair of underware at the heliport later that day.

From what i understand, Western new york is situated in a spot of ever conflicting air-masses, so i am surprised we don't get more tornados around here. Oh well, I guess you can't ask much more from an area that has -0 degree winters,and 85+ degree summers.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Ritten, you know what I love? Standing in a retail parking lot with the courthouse towering in view, busy thoroughfare with cars coming and going in a constant stream...then turning 90* to the left and watching some farmer on his carbine in the cornfield across the street ;P Of course the town I actually live in (and the one before that) are too small for 'downtown' to apply...sometimes 'uptown'...(this is for sean's benefit). Blink-n-you'll-miss-'em type places.

Speaking of weather. What the hell?? It's snowing, and I'm seeing lightning and hearing thunder.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.