Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shields during the Dominion War (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Shields during the Dominion War
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's riding a small rifle??

Those are the best types of snow storms. Just like thunderstorms, but colder. But driving in downtown Buffalo is hard in the best of weather, so once i decide to drive, i think i'll stay out of there if at all possible.

I go vacationing in the middle of Ontario, Canada, somewhere called Arigane Lodge. Good food, nice accomodations, beautifull waitresses...
Anyhoo, to get there, you have to travel through a town called Northbrook. It has 4 roads, main street is only aq mile long, and has a population of 200. The town has one restaurant ( a fish and chips place), one bar, one small market, two BEER STORE outlets, and an ice-cream shoppe, which is also the video rental store, pet food supply store, and auto parts outlet.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone I once knew once lived in a town which consisted of the grocery store and the three apartments above it [Wink] The smallest town I've personally seen had a population of 67. 67 idiots who live in a flood plain right next to the river and don't move till their house gets condemned...
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god. WTF is up with mother nature? One day, we have damn-near blizzard conditions, and the next, we get 62F with light showers. As for small towns, Until I went to that little canadian area, i thought my town (population 995.5- no, this is seriously what the townhall database says), but to see some of these near ghost towns is surprising. And you have got to give it to the people of canada (of which i prodly claim as 1/2 of my heritage), two BEER STOREs in a 2 kilometer area..... [Smile]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In those big-ass 950ml cans!
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they measured in centimeter for that, my mistake.

Shields more than just a name.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Mililitre is for volume of a liquid. I have however, seen a 2 litre bottle of beer once. After a couple of those, mililitre and centimetre mean the same thing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sean, note the bold.
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
...cans!

Slightly sexual in nature, not intended for audiences under 18, blah, blah, blah.....

If the beam cut right through the shields would they make the typical lighting effect?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Ahh.... ( your words sink into my thick polish skull)
I get it.

As for the shields (whew its been a few weeks!)
In Generations, when the BoP's disrupters and torpedos went through the enterprise's shields, they still produced the normal outline of the shield bubble. I would also assume that weapons going through hull-hugging shields would have the same effect. But you know what happens when you assume things in the trek universe....

--------------------

-George Carlin

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here's a thought. when was the first time, in what series, did they first do shield effects? actual Fx? TNG? in previous showings of TMP era movies (I~IV), any hits didn't show the bubble, just blacked the paint on the models, right?

maybe they didn't even imagine the bubble effect until they started on TNG? maybe a reset on what they orginally thought of how shields worked IC?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

If mymemory serves me correctly, they did show a shielding effect in ST TMP. V'eger's first energy torpedo was stopped by the shields, and the fx shot shows the ball of energy dispersing like it had just hit a plexiglass bubble. It does not show the actuall blue tinted bubble like tng, ds9,voyager etc, but i think that would qualify as a shield effect, as the outline of the bubble was shown in the impact. I think they also showed the shields in ST6. When hit by chang's torpedos, the Enterprise shows some burn marks, but there is also a subtle effect that looks like the shields being outlined. Strangely enough, the slight outline appears skin hugging!!!

Might we have skin hugging shields 80 yrs before Nemisis?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

This is probably a fx stylization thing, but everytime an alien ship in Enterprise, ( because enterprise did not have shields, and therefore no effect), got hit with a weapon, the fx showed almost exclusively skin hugging shields.
Hmmmm......

--------------------

-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Endgame armor, allow me to take a page from the game Star Trek Elite Force. In it, the hero's "hazard suit" had a special belt which could store all his gadgets in a transporter buffer a la TNG Relics. When he needed a particular weapon, it would be beamed into his hands. Perhaps those emitters on Adm. Janeways shuttle and Voyager just teleported the armor onto the ship. Although the replicator explanation would seem more practical and it would also explain how the armor appeared to be in one piece. Hmm...

Edit: Memory Alpha seems to agree with me partially. Also Rick Sternbach seems to have implied that there could also be the use of nano technology.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Mmmm, haven't played Elite force in a while. Think i've lost it actually.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Actually, i would love to start a thread about the new trek video game that has come out for the PS2,seems as it is quite good, but i don't know where to post it. There does not seem to be a forum marked "Video Game Mischief" Anyone know where to post it?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Sean - Took the words out of my mouth. I started a thread over at the DITL forums (which isn't nearly as nice as Flare. We rule.) about those "polarized hull plates" and the blue glow you see around the Ent when it gets hit. Some people seem to think the 'polarization' is some form of SIF, others are more "it's a TV show" (I hate that repsonse). I've got a shot or two of the blue glow appearing even when the plates aren't polarized, though (they're taken by surprise) so I think it's just the SIF (it *must* have one or it'd be ripped apart...spindly little pylons and such...)

Oh, and I'd post it in General Trek.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps