Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shields during the Dominion War (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Shields during the Dominion War
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the effects of the hull plating were actually some sort of electrical discharge caused from the impact of weapons against the hull. The plating is after-all electricly charged, and i'm sure that energy striking the hull would make it release some of it's electrical energy.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, perhaps not. EM radiation has to be of the right frequency to dislodge electrons in any given metal; hence aluminum in the microwave arcs, and gallium (something with gallium in it anyway) is used in solar cells. If the particle weapons shot at Enterprise aren't of the right frequency, no electricity would appear. Also, as I said, I have shots of the glow occurring when the plating was *not* polarized, so I think in reality it was just an FX thing - "let's make a cool blue glowy thing! Dude, hit this bong!" [Razz]
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to hull breaches...(oh joy)

I was thinking. Very rarely do we see ships with pieces of hull blown away, aside from the dominion war, and a select few episodes here and there. Yet, we constantly hear of a breach on deck 10,11, or 35 or what not ( especially in Voyager). That is probably because the fx people dont want to constantly damage and repair a model. I think that most hull breaches anyways are just small fractures, like when an area of dry skin on your knuckle splits open, and not like cuts that you get when you skin your knee. That would explain why we normally dont see anything, as they could simply be small splits in the hull, possibly the size of a hi-liter. That would still qualify as a hull breach, as the hull has.... well, breached.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What color of the spectrum would the vaporised metal have from the hull?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Excuse me if i sound dumb, but is that a hi-liter joke?

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no excuses damnit, if your going to sound dumb you have to do it like the rest of us!

No, sadly enough, it wasn't. It was a flash back to my high school days and my Introduction to Physical Science class and the stuff we burned to see what colour it was. This was the rough part of the class for a color blind guy. My lab partner was hot though, so it was allllllriiiiight.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Oh yes, i vaugly remember doing that experiment in chemistry lab eariler this year. I lost an eye brow and some arm hair.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

What color did it burn?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We couldn't burn anything in high school chemistry. The school chemistry lab's gas system was 50 years old and nobody was sure if turning the main valve would cause a disastrous leak or not.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I did that experiment last week in college. Lot of pretty colors.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like my old university.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

It turned purple and red, i think for Cu and Mg

--------------------

-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

Sounds like my youth.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I am actually not comfortable using the bunsen burner. kind of silly to be afraid of, but a nice addition to my list of phobias. Today though, we had to do a lab revolving around the MELTING OF ICE!!! The most R-tarded thing i have ever done it is.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I was in a university honors-level biology class. We had a lab one day which revolved around exhaling through straws into beakers of phenol; the carbon dioxide turned it from red to yellow. I believe we also held up a bottle of plant extract to see how it was green when you saw the light reflecting off of it, but red when you saw the light *through* it. I couldn't believe I didn't choose that week to skip...
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps