Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shields during the Dominion War (Page 7)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Shields during the Dominion War
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, do you mean Reverend?

To continue that though.....

Salt and water Dan would seem to mix nicely, or we have really screwed up oceans......

My lab partner was still hot and I didn't pay much attention to the experiments.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have to worry about the lab partner thing. The class has an odd number of kids in it, so I am usually the odd man out. I just get paired with an existing group or work alone. I occasionally get paired with my ex-girlfriend, or this weird goth kid who likes knives, but its only 40 mins every week, so i dont really care.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh how I miss the days of 40 minute labs...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Don't you mean a chunk of sodium?
No, defiantly potassium. Fire and spitting and lots of noise. My chemistry teacher was very big on practical demonstrations, hence the "here's what not to do if the chip pan catches fire" demonstration. That ceiling probably still has the scorch marks.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember one high school bio class where my teacher used the example of Data to explain the difference between living things and non-living things. She stated that Data didn't count as a lifeforms because he lacked organic parts. That answer always bugged me and I regret I never corrected her.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, last year, my earth science teacher was a trekkie, this year, my lab teacher is......well.......tainted to the dark side......

he has light sabers on his classroom walls for pete sakes.
sad, sad man.... [Big Grin]
I'll show him. i'll use my replica type II phaser pistol to melt some magnesium i will.....
Me takes my medication and goes to bed.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is always the next class reunion.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I remember of HS chemistry is passing notes with Melissa Mikolaycik & Kim Fletcher on the other side of the room trying to get them to have sex with me, & sitting next to Dave Hornak as he told me about his new pet iguana. He pulled out all these fantasy names to name it & I was like "Why don't you just name it Bob?" He broke down laughing for some reasons & then named it Bob. We did some experiment with...IO think it was zinc & hydrogen peroxide? Drop the zinc in, wait a bit, & then Werkie gave us a long match told us to slowly put it in the beaker. FOOMF!! Dave & I were the first to get to that point & everyone looked up in shock. We were stunned for a moment & then went, "Again! Again!!"

Oh, I was also drawing silly little pictures of cartoon characters in the League of Science. Each one had a scientific superpower: Gravity Girl, Specific Gravity Lad, Subspace Field Compression Boy, The Ionic Woman, that sort of gig.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High school honors chem ruled. This teacher looked and sounded like Roz from Monsters, Inc.

College intro to chem? Sucked. Evil evil prof. Got quietly asked to leave because he got caught asking students for bribes. He was bald and his head got all sweaty whenever he talked about chemistry...

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My HS chem teacher was nasty. What I mean is she did not have any concept of personal hygiene. This was around 1990, and she had a 70s afro (on a white woman!), and she reeked. You just hoped she never raised her arms, because the areas under her armpits were stained green. GREEN! Blech.

I'm not exaggerating, either!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was an actual chemist, that is a chemist that used to work high up in pharmaceuticals but turned to teaching later in life because the pay was better...and his wife was head of the art department. On a similar note, my tech (woodwork) teacher was a former British Aerospace engineer. Such was the state of British industry at the time.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, apparently something's wrong with my memory, because I could've *sworn* it was pure metallic sodium (not ionic sodium like in Na+Cl- --or have I got the formula for salt wrong too? *panics*) that, when it comes into contact with water, explodes and/or spits fire and light and so on.

I spent a lot of my music classes drawing starship designs (mostly not Trek-style) on graph paper with a friend, and inventing specifications for them. I actually paid *attention* in science classes... [Wink]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Yes, sodium does do that...though as I recall you usually need to ignite it yourself to make it flame after you drop it in water, depending on how much you use. Now look at where Sodium is on the periodic table, then move directly down and see what elements come after it.

Observe.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(from Dan Butler)

Ginger: We did a lab sort of like that. But it was really, really boring...the lame TA didn't explain anything or how it worked, it was basically just following instructions on pipetting, cooling, and incubating tubes of fluids and then culturing them. It was a demonstration using E. coli, I think, and plasmids for resisting a certain type of antibiotic. Spent 40 minutes sitting around and doing *nothing* at one point as the TA had no other experiment for us to do in the meanwhile... [/QB]

Nah, I did that in my 1st year. The project was more about prion propogation, like in CJD. Tedious, but it had its playing god moments. Also, there was a chemistry professor in the first year who reminded the whole class of Mr Toad (big, very round, sweats alot, stench you could smell several hundred yards, thinning white hair in a sort of middle-ages style, and a round warty face with little round glasses. Always wore a grey suit, and once pretended to have a girlfriend - a lie so transparent he had none of us fooled). For some reason we tried to slip "motor car" and "washer woman" into other wise innocuous statements.

One thought that pops into my head about the NX-01 taking all that punishement and still functional with few deaths compared to later ships is the size of the NX-01. The size to crew ratio was very low compared to the later ships, so maybe there were large areas of, not wasted space, but stuff that was not habitable, or essential to the sips structure.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

See, I had him panic, damn clergy anyway.

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps