Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » NX Class Escape Pods (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NX Class Escape Pods
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where exactly are the NX class's escape pods located? Memory alpha says E-Deck, which makes sense (and is I believe canon), and so does this fan deck plan diagram, which I believe uses canon sources to find out where everything goes.

http://www.waxingmoondesign.com/NX01EscapePods.html

However, the one time we get to see Enterprise launch escape pods, in "In a Mirror Darkly", they appear to get launched from D-deck. How can this be remedied? The ship does not need more than about 25 lifepods, and at least 2/3 of that amount can be seen launching from D-deck in IaMD.
This would be problematic, because there would be almost no space for the windows ( which I think there are some) in the walls of D-deck.

From pictures on EAS,

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/stmagazine/nx-bottom.jpg

there appears to be a nice little cut-out on the bottom of the ship, on deck E( it runs through the hyphen on NX-01 on the bottom panels) where life pods could launch from, that would corespond with the fan diagram, and the canon sources that say that say that the pods are on E deck.

So, how can this problem be remedied?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it a bit wasteful that you can only support four people in something that size...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe. But if the crew were forced to evacuate, in case of a disaster or an attack, thereis a greater chance that more of the crew would survive if the pods were disabled or damaged. YOu'd only lose 4 per pod instead of 10 people. ANd if there are enough pods to go around, why not let the escapies escape in comfort. Or maybe the pod could only efficiently carry 4 people with out having to upgrade it's power capacity etc.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I've seen canon diagrams of this somewhere...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

There must be some out there, lost to time....

--------------------

-George Carlin

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what happens if they lose life support on E-Deck? The whole damn ship is skrewed haha.

Oh and by the way hi, nice to be here. If you haven't noticed, I'm new. So please make it gentle.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the spanking room with you!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's ever said that they even had escape pods outside of IaMD, but I could be mistaken. Either way, the guy that made the diagram you linked to specifically said he didn't like where they put the escape pods in IaMD (mostly because of the window problem), and just put them where he thought they would fit better. His reasoning was that the mirror NX-01 isn't necessarily *exactly* the same as the original. (The engine radiation issue in the mirror universe seems to support that.)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can escape pods dock together? Because it might make sense if they did. If the ship's exploding around your ears, you'd wanna jump into the nearest one even if it was maybe getting a little overcrowded, and worry about life support limitations later. Or perhaps Starfleet just assumes that any latecomers to a pod would selflessly let it go without them, to avoid endangering those the pod CAN guarantee safety to. As if there'd be no chance that even one person would decide "Run another 50 metres through a burgeoning maelstrom to the next possibly-empty pod when we're 30 seconds from a core breach? Bugger that!"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, TNG-era ones can supposedly dock together, but I don't seen how these ENT ones cane...or the ones from FC, for that matter.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Ah, a newbie. I was one of them not long ago, and am still going through the hazing period. Guys, are we going to give this one a nick name too? Where's Ritten... [Wink]
(who the hell posts at 3 20 in the am?) Hmmm...
Maybe the Nocturnal Trekker?... [Big Grin]

B.J.- They did mention having life pods in "SHuttle Pod 1" I think. Reed says something to the effect of " They can't just be gone, they'd have launched the life boats."
I could be mistaken though...

[ March 03, 2008, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Sean ]

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I post at all hours of the day and night, for I am He Who Hasn't Had a Rational Sleep Schedule Since the Age of 16 Or So! *gonnnnnnng*

Reed did indeed say something like that in Shuttlepod One (or maybe your spelling is right - I dunno).

If I designed these things to dock together, I'd give them more than one docking collar myself - then you could form structures like the Suliban cell ships can, to help ensure survival.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

NO, you're spelling is correct, and I too havn't had a contentable sleep schedule on week nights for the last 6 months. I fall asleep at midnight+ 10 or 15, and wake up at 6. Weekends, I usually sleep 8 to 10 hours. Weird.
I have decided that I will politely call shikaru808 "The Nocturnal Trekker". Like the sidekick of a sidekick... [Wink]

--------------------

-George Carlin

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm touched.

I actually live in Hawaii, so it's that damn time-zone deal that prevents me from posting on your schedules [Smile]

Getting back on subject, I suppose it would make more sense to have the pods actually connect to another, share resources and the like.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Maybe they hadn't thought of that as of the 22nd century. Perhaps they were just concerned about getting a irreplacable crew off of the ship as fast and safely as possible. WHo knows, maybe the pods have a little grappler installed, to link to eachother, forming a web of pods.

And on a side note, I think you can adjust your time lapse to any time zone you want from your profile. I had to. I 'm running EST, and i think this server is on PST.

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.