Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The U.S.S. Brattain and a Registry Nightmare (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The U.S.S. Brattain and a Registry Nightmare
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few random remarks that could be helpful.

1) TNG appears to portray several (or all?) Mirandas as transports or other unglamorous types. They usually have small crews, and are apparently not the heavily armed frigates (although that's a fan designation) of yesteryear.

2) If you are assuming that it was launched in the 2340s, there could be any random bureacratic reason for its (too low?) number. Maybe, being a low life transport, construction was already planned for years earlier, and as such the registry number was assigned long before she was launched.

I personally don't believe in strictly chronological NCCs. In TOS, they are sequentially assigned to ships within a class. In "Okudan" times, starting around the turn of the century, registries get assigned more haphazardly, and possibly around this time the numbers get inflated by a reshuffling of runabout-types and other minor ships into the NCC domain.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, you should make friends with a spreadsheet.

Using joined cells for the hull numbers/years and a border for the line you can center it like you have it, then border the cells horizontally for the classes. You would have to fiddle with the column widths to make it look right, but a spreadsheet would work nicely.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I...uh...what?

I have Mac Excel 2004 but...my spreadsheet fu is poor.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm...spreadsheets were part of my high school curriculum...meaning I don't remember much of it [Razz] I think I know what Ritten's talking about... if you select a group of cells that are as long as you want the line, you can join them - I think right clicking will give you the context menu you need - and type the name of the class in them. Then you can change the top (or bottom) border to a red color and it'll be the line you need. For the little gray line separating class, you can put a border on the right in a different color. Border colors are changed in the same menu? I think? Poke around.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The solution is easy . . . did we actually see the dedication plaque, in the sense of having it readable? If not, then you're pitting what we saw on screen against what we didn't see on screen at all, and thus giving yourself an unnecessary headache.

But even if you soldier on past the point above, there's also the fact that, per the only image I've found of the dedication plaque (lifted from the Encyclopedia or something), the plaque gives a generic 22xxx stardate. Post-four-digit, pre-4xxxx stardates were notoriously inconsistent, and thus it is difficult to lock down a year (as you have done with 2345) for the ship's commissioning.

Cases in point: "Dark Page"[TNG], with 3xxxx stardates 35 years in the past . . . or you could mention Tuvok's 3xxxx birth, which is of course ridiculous given that he was an adult aboard Excelsior in ST6-time.

Simply put, an "interregnum" stardate is an awfully finicky thing to presume a contradiction on.

Also, potentially of interest: http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics2.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik, & Dan, yeah, the right click, hit format cells, and you can choose the tabs you want. I used Gnumeric for a quick test and it worked well enough.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's all moot anyway since my Mac went into a coma last night& now I can't access anything. I'm pretty sure that the power supply blipped (but there's no reason WHY it should've, except maybe old age?), & it'll take $60 to diagnose it, & probably another $225 to fix it, neither of which I have the money for since being out of work for 3 months (or 2 & a half, depending on POV). So.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The solution is easy . . . did we actually see the dedication plaque, in the sense of having it readable? If not, then you're pitting what we saw on screen against what we didn't see on screen at all, and thus giving yourself an unnecessary headache.

But even if you soldier on past the point above, there's also the fact that, per the only image I've found of the dedication plaque (lifted from the Encyclopedia or something), the plaque gives a generic 22xxx stardate. Post-four-digit, pre-4xxxx stardates were notoriously inconsistent, and thus it is difficult to lock down a year (as you have done with 2345) for the ship's commissioning.

Cases in point: "Dark Page"[TNG], with 3xxxx stardates 35 years in the past . . . or you could mention Tuvok's 3xxxx birth, which is of course ridiculous given that he was an adult aboard Excelsior in ST6-time.

Simply put, an "interregnum" stardate is an awfully finicky thing to presume a contradiction on.

Yes, my thinking exactly. I also found the Dark Page reference you mention, proving that Okuda did sometimes randomly make up stardates, and that they should be taken with a grain of salt. Or that some time in the past, the scale was changed, but not before the events in Dark Page, or the commissioning of the Brattain. Or whatever. (Actually, the 3XXXX stardate [which corresponds to 2328] in which Ian and Lwaxana get married actually helps push further back the launching of the Brattain, if they were both using the same scale at the time)

Anyway, I've come to some conclusions, thanks to all of your help. First, I'm going to ignore stardates on dedication plaques, unless spoken dialogue corroborates said date. And second, I'm still going to assume that for the most part, registries are chronological, except for a few instances of which there's just no good answer such as the Oberth problem, and the ships from First Contact. But I'll explain more about that when I've finished my essay.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: Is it a desktop or a *book? The power cord was a major failure point for the iBook apparently. I've never owned one, but a former roommate did. He had to replace it twice.
Shik
Member # 343

It's not the power cable. The same cable is powering the fucking PieCe of shit I'm on right now. Also, thank you for insulting my intelligence by thinking that I would not have sussed out whether or not it might be the power cable.

Also, iBooks haven't been sold in like 6 years.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Noted: You 're too much of an asshole to accept help.
Shik
Member # 343

Well, I mean...I AM a reasonably intelligent adult human. I've BUILT these these several times before & know how to diagnose the little shit first. Indeed, if I spare parts lying about, I could suss things out for myself. As it stands, one can only assume.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

You two seemed to have stepped off on the left foot.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Feel free to get angry at me but, where exactly has it ever been stated that ships are numbered chronologically?

quote:
To which Shik replied:
It never has, & indeed there are some (like Jonah) who refuse to believe in that, either partly or completely.

Eh? I'm one of the ones who does think registry numbers in the 24th century (and the last fifteen years or so of the 23rd) are assigned sequentially/chronologically without regard to vessel class.

quote:
Back to MNW:
Sure it may seem that way more often than not, but it gets kinda goofy when you take into account the Oberth class and Prometheus class as well as the dilemma we have on our hands right now.

Yay production shortfalls. *sigh* The Oberth was intended to be a 24th-century vessel, and not of the same type as the Grissom. Time and money considerations screwed that up.

The Prometheus is just a case of the scenic art not lining up with the exterior visual effects. I opt to go with the MSD's "NX-74913". [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, and, take this! [Razz]

-

Cameraphone, so forgive the quality. The better sign has been stolen, it seems.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps