Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships at the end of Star Trek: Generations (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Ships at the end of Star Trek: Generations
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you also have to think about production runs. The mirandas and excelsiors ( for the most part) could be from the later production runs of their class. Old design, but technically a
new(er) ship. i don't think we'll see any of the B-52's from the early production runs in the 50's and 60's in 2040.

Another example would be the Colt M1911 .45 cal pistol. Standard issue pistol of the US armed services from 1911 untill 1985, and the design is still in use and just as popular as it was when it originally came out. In fact, some military personell still carry .45's that were made in the Vietnam era, or earlier(that still function perfectly), instead of the Beretta M9 9mm. Sure we have newer and better pistols, with better accuracy and magazine capacity ( the .45 only holds 7 rounds ), but the good old 45 still has admirable qualities. It is simple to use, has excellent stopping power, it's durable. Just like Excelsiors, and to a lesser extent, Mirandas ( they would be like Colt Peacemakers).

There are faster, more heavily armed ships available, but there seem to be so many Excelsiors and Mirandas out there, and they can still get the job done. As to why we saw Excelsiors being used as flagships, most of the Admirals were old, and probably served on ships like them, and find them suitable for their purpose.

And they both blow up nicely in battle. [Big Grin]

Wow, I just REALLY over explained this...

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so. This is hardcore scifi geek central. To overexplain is to explain just enough [Wink]

Actually I've never thought of it in quite that way before - Mirandas and Excelsiors could get the job done, so there wasn't much need to spend resources creating a newer class. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." In other words, don't improve the entire fleet at once just because it's technically possible - build small numbers of new Nebulas, Galaxies, Intrepids, and Soverigns, and build large numbers of tried-and-true, well-tested, well-proven workhorses like Excelsior and Miranda.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've finished my timeline of starship information that will be pertinent to my essay about the conjectural classes, and I've come across some interesting things. I'll post a new thread about it.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now that the end of the century is near, and a shit load of the older vessels were lost in the Dominion war, we will see less and less of them. But they will still have their place to some degree. Mirandas have already started to move to the rear echelon positions like freighters and transports, since they are older than the Excelsiors, but I'd assume that soon they too would get relegated to other roles. Perhaps target practice, training ships...
The newer spaceframes (2330's) would probably stay in active duty for a while longer. If we see Mirandas on active duty in the 2400's, then Starfleet deserves a slap in the face, but Excelsiors in service into the 2420's and ready to be phased out would make perfect sense.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck the old ships, I wanna see some new tech from the Federation. The Dominion War showed the price you pay when you rely on outdated ships for too long.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More likely we won't see them EVER again. That part of trek history is closed for now.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floating in bits and pieces on the front lines, mostly [Wink]

I also don't necessarily think "new spaceframe design" = "new tech." I mean you don't have to have a new sexy sleek swanlike starship in order to bitch it out with quantum torpedoes and Class Fifty-billion probes, get me? I mean, look at ships and airplanes - the shapes don't change *that* much. Maybe there's as much difference between an early-, mid-, and late-model Excelsior as there is between a U-boat, Alfa class, and Los Angeles class subs.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be unusual to see, but you could see an old Connie-refit or a Miranda as a private vessel, same as seeing WW2 "warbirds" flown at airshows. Granted the cost of owning would be enormous but you never know. Now I wonder if any old tin cans were ever put in private hands.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
( the .45 only holds 7 rounds )
Actually, you can get 8-round magazines for 1911-A1s. Add 1 in the barrel with a full mag, and you've got a 9 round capacity.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Very true, although I was referring to what the military would have handed out, with the standard 7 rd mag, so if you count the round in the barrel, 8 rounds, yeah. That is still low by today's standards, where people don't see the need to aim their guns. Actually, there is a Canadian company that produces .45 variants with 12,13, and 14 round capacity magazines as standard. Just proves the longevity of a sound design.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I also don't necessarily think "new spaceframe design" = "new tech."

Star Trek made a lot of a starship's performance independent of the spaceframe. You want a stronger ship? Put in an improved structural integrity field. You want better defenses? Put in improved shield generators, better torpedoes, and enhanced phaser banks. A better warp core and warp coils that fit in the old nacelles will get you more speed.

If you assume the Star Trek technical manuals have any validity, about the only thing that the spaceframe does for you (besides determining crew size and mission scope and flexibility) is shape the warp field. Unless you need a fast ship like the Intrepid Class, you can probably get away with a souped up older design.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Exactly, thanks for pointing that out.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, build a Miranda that has all the internal goodies of an Intrepid and you'll end up with something like this. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damned Finns.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Henry Ford is twitching in his grave...

--------------------

-George Carlin

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.