Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Unused Kzinti ship CGI from ST: Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Unused Kzinti ship CGI from ST: Enterprise
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!= is for people who can't do ≠. How long have you been on the internet again?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less than ten years, roughly.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: I think the Caitian connection comes from Niven. My comment did, anyway.

!= is what's used in computer programming, by the way, Mars. It comes from ! meaning "not" in Boolean algebra/logic.

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
I imagine they still would have changed the name, though? The producers always seemed very wary (overly so!) of viewers getting confused and having a major new species called the Kzinti would no doubt confuse a lot of casual viewers who'd become used to the Enterprise crew having encounters with the Xindi.

Nope, there is not one single page addressing changing the name in the guide I have at my hands. Even more, there are contributions from Niven himself in it.

Also please be aware that the Tzenkethi were at no time a substitution for the Kzinti. [1]
So the correct inequation is Caitians ≠ Kzinti ≠ Tzenkethi ≠ Caitians

[1] http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Tzenkethi

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I sadly miss the fifth season of Enterprise that could have been, I am glad that the Kzinti never made it to the screen. I see no reason to incorporate stuff from the one TAS episode that is definitely irreconcilable with the rest of Trek.

Well, and the starship looks like a submarine indeed. Trek goes steampunk? No thanks.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if they got the same treatment as the Gorn, Tholians and the like then it could work. Not that I'm a huge fan of TAS, for the most part, that series is best left in the apocrypha of Trek canon.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes two of us. I mean the ship designs are nice, but that's about it.
Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Kzinti would have been the much better choice for recurring villains in the first place. At least they were somehow established to be around in the 21st century. Also there was literally nothing established about them, except that they were mean.

Regarding the vessel, note that it might not reflect the final design, even though Jimmy Diggs had put a lot of thought into it already.

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep meaning to watch TAS just for the fun of it. I didn't even know it existed till a couple of years ago - I guess it must be pretty bad since I've never even heard a whisper of it on TV, and the local affiliates can't stop re-running their favorite 5 episodes of the other series. Serieses. Serials. There. Britain saves the day.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife bought me the TAS for our anniversary last year. It's not bad and actually works rather well with established TOS continuity. Other elements from TAS are being worked in by writers into subsequent Trek episodes.

Some of it's a little goofy and cartoonish. The episodes are only half-hour and they don't allow much in the way of character development.

But I wouldn't throw this baby out with the bathwater.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I keep meaning to watch TAS just for the fun of it. I didn't even know it existed till a couple of years ago - I guess it must be pretty bad since I've never even heard a whisper of it on TV, and the local affiliates can't stop re-running their favorite 5 episodes of the other series.
How "bad" it is depends on your point of view. If you accept it for its original intention (a kid's cartoon show), then it was fine. If you accept it for what hard-core Trekkies (and Paramount) are trying to tote it as (a canon continuation of the original series' last two years of the five-year mission), then it falls flat.

Now that being said, I would have definitely liked to have seen the Kzinti in Enterprise season Five. Despite the crudity of TAS, there has been a wealth of non-canon speculation about them, and having them actually show up in the series (like the Gorn and Tholians), would give them a legitimacy in the ST universe that they never truly had.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ship looks like something Ming The Merciless would captain.
Not real great.

My loathing for Kzinti, Catian and anything derived from domestic animals is on record.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seconded...though it depends on how well it's realised.

Mind you I just the other day claimed my support for the idea that Berengarians are large flying reptiles, possibly of the fire breathing variety so I don't know how I can justify one and not the other.

As for TAS in general, while there are ELEMENTS of it that are ok. Specifically SOME of the designs (weird shuttles not included) and most of the episode "Yesteryear" (sans the framing story) is perfectly acceptable. But giant clones, doors you hum at to open and backwards universes are out.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, you know...kids show. Also, I think if you're going to make all your aliens look exactly like humans with a bit of makeup, and this one looks like a reptile, and that one looks like a bug, and so on...well you can't really complain if they make them look like domestic animals. It's really more fantasy monsters than scifi aliens.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Don't forget that one episode where the Enterprise creates an inflatable balloon version of itself.

You want this added to canon you say...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps