Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » accurate Oberth-Class schematics (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: accurate Oberth-Class schematics
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freehand was purchased by Adobe, so will probably be phased out eventually in favor of Illustrator. That's life!

The blend tool is very, very useful. Sure the appearance of a blend can be approximated by a combination of objects with various gradients, but using a blend tool is so much easier.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice deck plans so far. What bridge have you stuck in there? Is it the Grissom's or something you made?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Anyway, here's that roughed out cross-section and a a basic layout of how I'm thinking the shuttle & cargo bays are arranged.

At the back of the rectangular section that is behind the 'saucer' - where the impulse engine is... along that back edge looks like overlapping, sliding doors. I reckon prime place for cargo doors, rather than shuttlebay doors - seeing as there are already 'shuttlebay'-looking doors around the saucer rim.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok, I think I've addressed all of Masao's points and noticed a few of my own.
 -
Still rather desperately need a clear view of the underside of the saucer substructure, especially the impulse engine's structure.

Any possibility you could include a runabout for size comparison? It's one of the best people-ship size comparisons we've had on screen.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Freehand was purchased by Adobe, so will probably be phased out eventually in favor of Illustrator. That's life!

The blend tool is very, very useful. Sure the appearance of a blend can be approximated by a combination of objects with various gradients, but using a blend tool is so much easier.

Tell me about it! I'm still using PSP X because 5 mins using XI told me Corel had completely fudged it or sacked most of the old Jasc people that were probably still around when PSP X was made.
I've always had difficulty finding my way around Photoshop and Illustrator (compounded in the latest version by ultra low contrast menus) and there's nothing more irritating than not being able to use the keyboard shortcuts for vector node editing that I've been habitually using for years.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Very nice deck plans so far. What bridge have you stuck in there? Is it the Grissom's or something you made?

It's the TMP Enterprise that I rearranged based on the one or two screen caps I could find. I'm almost certain the Fact Files did one of their 3D illustrations for Grissom, but for some reason nobody seams to have scanned it.
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Anyway, here's that roughed out cross-section and a a basic layout of how I'm thinking the shuttle & cargo bays are arranged.

At the back of the rectangular section that is behind the 'saucer' - where the impulse engine is... along that back edge looks like overlapping, sliding doors. I reckon prime place for cargo doors, rather than shuttlebay doors - seeing as there are already 'shuttlebay'-looking doors around the saucer rim.
Yeah, as you can see on the dorsal plan that's where I have the main cargobay access.
I'm not convinced by having the shuttles in the saucer, as it doesn't make sense to me to crowd an already crowded primary hull. At the moment I have them down as either docking ports and/or airlock to smaller cargo bays.
Just more evidence that the model builder thought this was going to be much bigger than it was portrayed.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure FF made a grissom illustration too. I remember thinking there were way too few stations on the thing.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev, still need an accurate Oberth reference for the ventral saucer?
http://www.thomasmodels.com/gallery/griss4.jpg
http://www.thomasmodels.com/gallery/griss6.jpg
http://www.thomasmodels.com/gallery/griss1.jpg
http://www.thomasmodels.com/gallery/griss3.jpg

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the studio model, though?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

It's the TMP Enterprise that I rearranged based on the one or two screen caps I could find. I'm almost certain the Fact Files did one of their 3D illustrations for Grissom, but for some reason nobody seams to have scanned it.
Um, if you Google "grissom bridge", this is one of the first results that comes up...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird, I must have tried half a dozen googles trying to find it before.

As for the reference photos, while the model is well made it doesn't look like the filming miniature and I'm determined to stick to primary data sources so I'd rather see the reference they used to make that model.

--------------------

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Grissom bridge drawing from the Fact Files/Magazine is very familiar. Good luck on this project.

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Weird, I must have tried half a dozen googles trying to find it before.

As for the reference photos, while the model is well made it doesn't look like the filming miniature and I'm determined to stick to primary data sources so I'd rather see the reference they used to make that model.

It's probably as close to the filming model as possible- Thomas sasser is the guy with seemingly-unlimited access to Paramount's shooting models (pre-auction, obviously).
He's the guy that mastered Polar Light's (incredible) 1:350th Enterprise kit, the TOS E and Klingon kits and has the blessing of Paramount.

Seriously- the guy's a detail and accuracy enthusiast: I'd bet real cash that his model is prop accurate.

All the Oberth toys, models and minis have all or most of the details of that model as well (Micromachines, Futara, FASA mini, SFSM styrene kit, Osyssey Slipways and Starcrafts resin kits, etc.)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Quick update to the deck layout.
 -
May be some more soon.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've probably already thought of this, but if you still need better shots of the filming model, you could ask Doug Drexler if he's got any that he could post on his blog...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I have been following his blog and I'm sure if he has anything good he'll get around to it eventually. No sense in imposing on generosity.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps