Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » accurate Oberth-Class schematics (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: accurate Oberth-Class schematics
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiosity: I think the Oberth's saucer and nacelles are nice, has anyone ever made a successful kitbash of the Oberth, using only the nacelles and saucer to build a "Constitutionized" Oberth?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'd have the bridge half-sunk into the next deck, if only to avoid having a funky-shaped turbolift tube and car.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim: I have seen various kitbashes of the Oberth and nothing I've seen looks even remotely as good as the original. The design is practically sculpted so a kitbash really doesn't work.
B.J.: Way ahead of you.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim, the nacelles from a Connie Refit look insanely too large for that saucer if connected at the same place.
That being said, the Oberth primary hull lends itself to many variants- one with a Miranda torpedo pod instead of the secondary hull, one in a Ptolemy configuration, etc.

A million years ago I made a hospital variant:
 -

I think the ILM guys intended the Oberth's nacelles to the the next step forward in warpdrive- the Excelsior test models have something very close.
I can invision some hybrid between the Oberth and Excelsior nacelle...might be cool.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the purposes of this thread, I'm sticking with the theory that it's a design with a heavy Vulcan influence, circa 2185.

As for the kitbash, nothing against the modelling itself, but the design is hideous. Oberths are better left unbashed, just as Buddha and ILM intended.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's not much of a design- the secondary hull is a super-glue tube with greebles and it's from waaaay back but the point I was trying out is that the Oberth primary hull can be used for stuff other than scientific research and possibly can serve as a multirole vessel for non-combat missions.
I tried to make it obvious that the ship seperates (thus the two colors of hull).

If nothing else, the primary hull, freed from that science pod would be a fine courier/transport for diplomats and other VIP's.
beats shooting them off in a torpedo casing anyway...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

A little bit of progress:-
 -
Just a roughed out plan based on the idea that the bridge with the airlock seen in "Naked Next Thursday Teatime" was in fact on deck 10 (above the deflector and below the fuel tanks.)

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jase:
quote:
Nim, the nacelles from a Connie Refit look insanely too large for that saucer if connected at the same place.
I didn't imply adding Constitution-nacelles to the Oberth saucer, I meant liberating the Oberth nacelles and saucer (from the large bottom plate) and putting them on a new cylindrical engineering section that's -say- twice the length of the saucer (though not that thing that is slung under it in ST-III), with appropriate pylons and neck.

So that it would be, essentially, a connie/Excelsior-shaped ship, but 100 meters long. It's just an exercise in aesthetics.

But fine, if it hasn't been done I'll have to do it myself, good day sir. .. I said GOOD DAY sir!

Reverend: Which deck holds the torpedo launcher? Haven't read up on the class.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Deck 11 or 12 I think. I'm going with the idea that the dark aperture on the tail end of the secondary hull is the probe launcher, rather than another sensor array as some seam to label it.

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Cool. I've been looking at that obscured hole on schematics, wondering why the creators put it there and what the function was, as it already has an impulse engine. Does the Oberth have a proven deflector?

Also, to clarify my earlier posts, here's a very rough and simple but straightforward idea of my take on a Oberth-kitbash (taking obscene liberties with Reverend's graphic). I could do better with 3d software.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well it's function was a place to hide the rear mounting point for the motion control rig, I'm just supposing it's a probe launcher on the theory that 1)There aren't many other candidates for a launcher and 2) The ship has enough sensor arrays as it is - an aft facing long range array is overkill. After all, why would you want to scan a sector you just left? Dropping a probe relay makes more sense if long term observations are required.

As for the deflector, it's pretty clear on the MSD that it's under that silver coloured cowl, though I don't see it as looking like a normal dish or blue glowy thing. I envision it as a chaotic mass of split concentric cylinders, with various spikes and antennae, taking up as much of the interior volume as possible.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.