Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Introduction of phasers? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Introduction of phasers?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's safe to say that Pike's "lasers" aren't laser as we think of them today. More likely they were a form of Disruptor (probably Vulcan tech) that was later abandoned for the Phasers when Starfleet became more of a not-quite-pacifist-but-still-not-militant type of organisation as the Phaser was seen to be able to be used both offensively and defensively.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vulcan or Andorian or Tellarite or even Human. I mean if we're ignoring Enterprise then we never saw that Vulcans were any more advanced than Earth at the signing of the charter (or any of the other founding races).
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, just by the simple logic that they were having nuclear war and interstellar migrations about 1000 years ago lends to the idea that they'd be quite a bit along, if a little stagnant.
Then there's First Contact, of course.

As for the Andorians and Tellarites, we have no substancial info on them outside of Enterprise so anything is possible.
I only said Vulcan because the Romulans are known to use Disruptors and it stands to reason that if there's one technology those two races will still have in common, it's weaponry.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, right, they were more advanced in 2063, but that doesn't guarantee they were more advanced by 2161. Maybe without Enterprise in the timeline they let humans advance much more rapidly. Hell, maybe even *with* Enterprise - after season 4 maybe the Vulcans trusted humans more and started handing over more tech, or maybe the Andorians or Tellarites did, or all three.

Point taken about the Romulans/Vulcans both using disruptor tech. It seems like disruptors and phasers are both part of the same basic tech, and are pretty much the only two alternatives in the field of particle weapons, and we know the Vulcans must not have used phasers or the Fed would have had them by Pike's time.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well either way it's pure speculation. It's just more likely that the Vulcans (eventually) gave them disruptor technology than for Earth to do 1000 years of catching up in less than a century.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps, during the time of the TOS pilots, Starfleet was contracting their phaser production out to Lā-Zer, LLC, and that's why the officers called them that.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That actually makes sense. You know, we never hear of product companies in Trek. I wonder why?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nationalization.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

After subcontractors sold weapons to both sides in WWIII, we learnt our lesson.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, I wasn't saying humanity would catch up on its own. As I thought I made clear I was saying perhaps Vulcan or one of the other three gave them the "laser" technology, instead of keeping humanity back technologically. We know they didn't at least in Enterprise canon but we're ignoring that.
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinda off topic, but I wonder why Starfleet doesn't utilize nuclear technology?

I mean, throw 4-5 nukes at a Borg cube you're at least gonna slow it down right?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously?

Because fission explosions are a gnat's fart compared to antimatter ones. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Photon torpedoes use matter/antimatter annihilations, shikaru. That means 100% conversion of matter to energy. In a nuclear explosion (here I'm assuming heavy hydrogen fusion) you might get 2% conversion. In other words, in M/AM, E=mc^2, whereas in fusion, E=0.02mc^2. For the same mass, the energy release is obviously a lot higher for photon torpedoes than for a nuclear warhead.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although, Enterprise's original spatial torpedoes could have been nukes, or some advancement of nuclear technology. That may be why Malcom was all randy over the new photonic torpedoes.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Fusion is about as advanced as nuclear technology goes, I mean it is what makes stars go boom after all.
As for the spatial torpedoes, I took them as being an early form of low yield subspace warhead. I mean they must have been used at some point by the Earth of the Federation before they were banned. Of course the reality is that the writers were just talking out of their collective arses again. They should have just called them torpedoes and be done with it.
Either way this is a Masao thread, so again, just ignore Enterprise and everything within.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.