Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Introduction of phasers? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Introduction of phasers?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always under the impression that the Romulan Plasma torpedoes were actual torpedoes that bled compressed plasma into a tight containment field after launch. So the casing itself would be a sort of nucleus, hence it's ability to change course.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. In essence the payload protects the guidance system. *heh*

In other plasma weapons, it seems they're dumb-fired bolts with a decaying (magnetic?) field. That's my explanation for how there cna be "flak" bursts in various sci-fi arenas -- the containing field has decayed enough that the plasma within explodes outward and dissipates, possibly imparting some of its energy on a near enough target.

But back to phasers...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're talking at cross-purposes here. Absolutely the pulse weapons that we know to have been identified as plasma-based are using a delivery system which encapsulates plasma in some sort of field. But what I think we're alltip-toeing around si the idea that the early-TOS weapons could also be plasma-based, but using a system whereby a thin stream of plasma is channelled along a stream of ionised gas, said ionised gas having been created by a laser? Perhaps such a "laser-channelled plasma pistol" might even be come to be known as a "laser pistol" for short?

Hey, I just remembered something: remember back in "Broken Bow," the final confrontation between Archer and, oh bugger, um, head Suliban guy in Future Guy's wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey chamber? One effect from that, where a future-echo of the phase pistol beam is seen, allowing the actual beam to be dodged? That led to all sorts of theorising about the nature of phase beams and initiator/carrier beams. Something like that, I'd search for a link but I'm off to bed.

EDIT: http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/6/1413.html?#000000

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of laser-induced plasma channels, they're using that tech to induce lightning strikes in storm clouds right now.

Lee: Name of Silik.

And hi. I'm back. Internet was out for a week. Anybody miss me?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered where you were...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was gone?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
He was gone?

Ahhh, it's good to be home.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't notice either.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

My...my own sidekick?? ET TU, SEAN!?
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize. My tights were restricting blood flow to my brain.

Whilst thou forgiveith thee?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

So what, your brain is in your pants? [Wink]

(Wilst thou forgive me. Forgive is in the infinitive there, not conjugated.)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(And "thee" means "you".)
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

I'm sorry, I'm not used to consciously conjugating the english language. And no Dan, I wear my nylons on top of my head.

--------------------

-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Thee is the objective form. I give it to thee, thou givest it to me.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes. But he was using it as an object, so that much was okay.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps