Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Models from Star Trek: The Exhibition (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Models from Star Trek: The Exhibition
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. The model itself doesn't look too detailed though. I'm guessing that this design is supposed to be the Miranda to the Soverign's Constitution. I wonder what other Sovie contemporaries would look like. Is the Intrepid class condsidered to be in the same design family?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh... Am I the only one who thinks that's essentially an Akira with some of the bits pushed around and the "Sovereign" theme turned on?
Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heresy!

Don't sully my beloved Akira by comparing it to the Luna [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Uh... Am I the only one who thinks that's essentially an Akira with some of the bits pushed around and the "Sovereign" theme turned on?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is, when Nemesis came out, I got the distinct impression that the Titan was supposed to be this massive ship, even bigger than the Enterprise-E (hence the name Titan). I couldn't see Riker accepting the command of a ship that was less powerful or smaller than the Enterprise, even if it was of a new class. Plus, its very first mission was to negotiate a peace treaty with the Romulan Empire. A mission of that magnitude would require the services of a ship like the Galaxy class, wouldn't you think, even if it were just as a show of strength? However, Pocket books decided to take a different approach.

At least the ship is non-canon. If Berman and Braga had had an ounce of sense in their heads, they would have brought back Riker and Troi post-Nemesis instead of during "The Pegasus" for that shitty series finale of ENT. And if that had been the case, I guarantee they would not have used Sean Toranganeau's design, if only to avoid copyright issues.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I listed TitanNebula in my lists.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
...ok, i just looked on Bernd's and DITL. both sites don't offer any info on the Luna class (since it's a book, thus not quite Cannon, yet). Is that intential or any interest in that regard? I'm not really sure where to go with this idea ATM...

I seem to remember the contest requirements having it around 400-450m long.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, here we go!
quote:
Here are the main parts of the concept notes from the back of the titan novel...(not exactly word for word)

Titan Concept notes

USS Titan, NCC 80102, Luna-Class

The Titan is a mid-size starfleet vessel, approx. 450m in length, with a crew complement of 350, Titans hull configuration is comparable to other SF vessels.

Luna class is SF newest-gen long-range explorer, a starship but not built specifically for combat, but like the connie, a vessel designed for a long term multipurpose mission into uncharted space. Equipped with conventional Tactical systems (deflector shields, phasers, quantum torps) Titan also boasts state-of-the-art propulsion and cutting-edge scientific equipment as well as being a testbed for experimental scienc tech not yet available on other classes.

The Titan is manned by the most varied multispecies crew in SF history, with humans comprising less than 15% of the 350 member crewthe diversity of the crew is intended to facilitate stories that will explore the ways that beings of different cultures, biologies, psychologies and physical appearances learn how to work together, or fail to, depending on the circumstances they encounter.

The Luna-class development project was initiated in 2369 in response to the discovery of the Bajoran wormhole.
Field testing of the USS Luna began in 2372, but the projected was shelved due to the dominion war, then resumed in 2375.

LUNA-Class Fleet:

all ships named for moons in the Sol System (Terran Solar System)

Amalthea
Callisto
Charon
Europa
Galatea
Ganymede
Io
Luna
Oberon
Rhea
Titan
Triton

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truthfully, it's not a bad overall design, if a bit fanboyish with all the obvious Akira elements.
Seriously, this looks much more like an Akira than the NX-01 ever did.
The book's writing was lackluster and, like most of us, I never felt compelled to buy the second novel despite the cliffhanger Voyager gag of the ship being thrown too far from home to ever return (and with Tuvok on board no less!).

As to the ship, lose the pod, shorten that silly-ass landing strip (useless in space anyway!) at the rear and de-Akira those bloated nacelles a bit and it'd be just fine.
If the torpedo thingie pod is retained, I'd blen the support pylons into the akira-esque catamaran bumps on the saucer- thicken them a bit so a turbolift could easilt get up there too.
Also, it seems a bit shy on phaser coverage- maybe add a pair to those incredibly wasteful giant nacelle pylons- that's probably 100 tonnes of mass that's not needed- just to give it that "bat" look, so why not add phasers there?

Do junior officers get stuck with quarters under the pod with a window looking on nothing?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't they come up with more ships like the Sovereign-class? That thing is just pure art and made ST:FC 10x better for an already great movie.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sovereign looks unfinished.

*summons Peregrinus*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Too pointy.
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
The Sovereign looks unfinished.

*summons Peregrinus*

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Too pointy.

Blasphemy. A plague on both your houses!

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pointy nacelle ends look silly if you're not looking at the ship from the foreward flyby- it's made to look "fast" as it pans past the camera's eye but the ship looks silly from behind or from the sides.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ahkileez:
Thank God. I thought I was the only one who didn't like it.

The only worse is the 3d model of it that some peanut is making...

1.6 million polys, 100 mb of textures and it's well,
rubbish.

M.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed looking at the model shots on the last page, the Titan looks like someone stepped on an Akira and stuck a pod on top. The nacelles look exactly the same. The bridge and surrounding structures are the same... just squished.

But yay for him... he got a big model made of his ship.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps