Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transporters as weapons (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Transporters as weapons
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we're both wrong, it was that bloke from that 70's show...oh wait.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget that C-section by transporter in Voyager.

Oh, and along a similar vein, I read a fic once in which the Romulans used transporter tech to extract a few human female embryos in order to further their bioweapon research. Of course, they had to kidnap the women first, but that's a possibility.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could probably de-toxify someone via the transporter- even replace the air in someone's lungs with fresh air....tricky to match volume and millibar density but a small task compared with the tech in general.

I wonder what they do with with the displaced atmosphere volume when they beam someone in...

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figure the annular confinement beam sweeps the air out of the way just before rematerialization.
Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much treknomagic in here. I bet O'Brien got ready for his shifts in the transporter room by grabbing his robe and wizard hat.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I figure the annular confinement beam sweeps the air out of the way just before rematerialization.

That would probably result in a pop-o-matic sound.

Hmmm...a cool sabotage would be to remove that feature- resulting in a lethal case of the bends.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decidedly unpleasant. It makes me wonder how exactly they found out that you needed that feature...I'd hate to be the first few test subjects for the transporter.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
That would probably result in a pop-o-matic sound.

Maybe that's what the fwooshy sound is for?

But then, it doesn't seem like an all-at-once thing. The transporting process takes a few seconds on each end, not including however much time one spends in the buffer. So it could be a piece-by-piece process in which the individual molecules each displace the air around them, negating the "pop." (Maybe that's what the fwooshy sound is?)

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, exactly, it takes a few seconds - I thought there wouldn't be much of a sound if it took a second or two to sweep the air out of the way instead of doing it all at once? Any fluid dynamicisists in here?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a scientist, but my very basic understanding of the whole concept would suggest that the "pop" would be more pronounced in a shorter period of time versus a longer time. Therefore, since the ACB probably starts from the center and expands outwards, it would create a puff of air, certainly, but not a "pop."

I'd betcha that we'd have heard the "pop," though, in those instances where a TOS character instantly disappeared with that cheesy "boi-i-ng" sound. The air rushing in to fill the vacuum instantly created by the departure of said character would certainly create a "pop."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Again, I figured there was a force field holding the air back on demat until they were totally gone, then sliding back to let the air fill the hole slowly. Not just to prevent a sound, of course, but because you never know what you might disturb with a sudden human-sized vacuum appearing, especially on a starship.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A force field would make sense- it would prevent some damn passing bug from sticking in your chest.
maybe the transporter takes a few seconds to ever-so-slightly adjust your matter to the localized environment: pressure, gravity, etc.
Otherwise someone taking a big breath in as he transported might be in for a nasty shock as his lungs collpsed.
Or maybe the glowy effect is the shedding of massive amounts of planetary inertia: no way the orbiting ship matches perfect geo-sync orbit- most times the ship watching the planet pass underneath it while in orbit.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well isn't the annular confinement beam canonically established as a force field which preserves the matter stream? It seems to me that pretty much covers the whole bug-chest-sticking-thing.

Why would his lungs collapse? If he's beaming from an area of ~1atm to another area of ~1atm, there shouldn't be any nasty effects.

I figure if they can scan you on the subatomic level and reconstruct you later then they can add and subtract momentum at will.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The lungs thing would depend on the pressure of the atmosphere he's beaming into, also if you suddenly were beamed onto a world with a thin atmospgere you'd at least hyperventilate trying to get oxygen.
Also, you ears could burst in a dense, high pressure atmosphere- having done several dives" in a myperbariac chamber, I have grim experience on such dangers.

The momentum thing is really...odd.
They have to account for the ship's speed, planetary rotation...the works. Also, the beam has to move with the planet's rotation, lest the subject be spread all over the landscape (beaming is not instantanous).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Why would you beam somewhere with a dense/thin atmosphere that was enough to hurt you anyway? Wouldn't you wear an environment suit?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.