Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wrapping my head around transwarp

Author Topic: Wrapping my head around transwarp
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this has been nagging at me a few years now, and with little new tech to discuss until ST XI comes out, I figured it's time to ask :

How does transwarp work in relation to warp drive? My understanding has always been that all starships are considered, "aerodynamic" for space travel, which helps the ship transition to faster than light travel without loosing structural integrity.

That seemed to make sense, but then the Borg first appeared, they were using standard warp drive to no ill effect. That didn't seem to add up to me, but then they were using transwarp to get around in Voyager at much greater velocities.

I reasoned that their geometric fleet was basically creating small wormholes that covered great distances, but were traveling through them at sub light speeds, since on DS9 no one traveled to the Gamma Quadrant or back at anything faster than impulse. If that were the case, a cube or whatever could hop from point to point with minimal strain on the hull.

Canon evidence like BOBW suggests a cube has both forms of propulsion, but over the years we've had snippets of dialogue and technical write-ups that suggest that the shape of a vessel is directly influence the way a warp field envelopes a ship, thus making it go faster.

So, when a ship goes through a transwarp hole thingy, is it moving under it's own propulsion is it is ridding a wave a la Stargate?

So am I close to the mark here or is it one of those things we'll blame on a wizard?

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think transwarp was simply a writer's device for "faster warp speed".

This is the page on my website about it... http://starshipdatalink.net/operations/transwarp.html

One plot hole in Voyager ... like that never happened ... was that apparently there was a transwarp conduit exit right at Earth, yet in BoBW and First Contact they travel there much slower.

Granted the cube in BoBW traveled from the DQ to AQ much faster than any Starfleet ship could have.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Transwarp has had MANY meanings.. but I think the safest is "Better than what we got NOW"

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a diagram once!

(I assumed that, you know, transwarp applied to any mode of travel that dug deeper into subspace than traditional warp drive.)

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I made a diagram once!

After first reading this thread several days ago, my first act was actually to try and hunt down your diagram and accompanying explanation, Sol. Unfortunately, my searching skills were not up to the task.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which type of Transwarp, though? FASA's TSFS version was a 'double compression' of the old warp fields, making subspace within subspace.

TNG suddenly goes into new pocket dimensions (which was NOT how warp was supposed to work). It also has 'transwarp conduits', and a few other versions all called 'transwarp'.

VOY has people turning into fish.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I made a diagram once!

After first reading this thread several days ago, my first act was actually to try and hunt down your diagram and accompanying explanation, Sol. Unfortunately, my searching skills were not up to the task.
You mean this one?

http://www.geocities.com/simsizer/spacetime.jpg

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, they were salamanders on Voyager-
TNG had Troi turn into a fish. [Wink]

I had read that Transwarp used the transporters somehow to accelerate the rate the warp field traveled at- sorta beaming it forward and insane FTL speed and the ship went along with it-
This would have been so fast as to allow exploration of the entire galaxy within a generation or two (with enough ships).

Also, Transwarp sounds cooler than just "warp", much like how quantum torpedos sound cooler than plauin vanilla "photon torpedos".

I personally want to se "Quantum Genesis Torpedos"- that'll turn yer sorry Borg cube into a sorry unstable planet where people occasionally age at an accelerated rate if the plot demands it.
Each comes with it's own star to orbit!
Act now, while supplies last.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly, Genesis has some horrible effect that wasn't intended - or certainly we would have heard of it being used again by now [Wink]

Transwarp was supposed to be 'faster than warp 10' i.e. 'greater than infinite velocity' hence TRANS warp in Voyager, I think. But then the Voth...*sigh* And the Borg conduits which...er...and the Excelsior class....hmmm...

...it's a very powerful plot warp drive [Big Grin]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one should ever go to that website.

Why won't Geocities burn down?

Also, thanks. (Also, I think I have it on Flare Upload, too.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.