Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » EMH > Data (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: EMH > Data
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Omega nailed the first major reason why Data should still be considered "superior" to the EMH: Hardware size. Data's positronic brain is way way smaller than a starship's/station's computer core. That's also why the mobile emitter is so valuable. The only episode that might contradict this is "Living Witness", but I think the back-up module only stored the EMH program and did not actually run it.

For another major reason, I direct you all to the episodes "The Swarm", "Spirit Folk", and maybe even "Doctor Bashir, I Presume". Continuously-running holographic programs tend to start breaking down catastrophically. We don't even know if Dr. Zimmerman ever completed the LMH project.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would agree. The "sentient" holograms are just instances of sentience running on the ship's computer. They are isolated from the rest of the computer and can't control the ship or "be the ship".

Makes one wonder what level of sentience a ship's computer or the presumed even larger ground based networks could achieve.

Star Trek: Terminator anyone?

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And but plus, "downloading a patch" is essentially what Data winds up doing, no?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps