Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Future History - STO (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Future History - STO
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fail. unless this game can BEAT the PrC Blizzard Juggernaut, this will be doomed to fail (fail being a little as the #2 MMOMP(sp?) or forgotten in as little as a year from release (Star Wars: Galaxies, anyone?)

but no game will beat Wow for the forseeable future. Not with what $ they put into it (and how much hand-over-fisting Blizzard gets...) I'm surprised my beloved DDO still is active (even though where i live, i haven't seen a DDO game box on display in years)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they have a Matrix MMO not to long ago? You want to talk about epic fail...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the Stargate online game. And friend and I, both SG-1 fans, were discussing this game and trying to figure out how it would work.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often thought that the B5 universe would be ideal for one of these games, or better yet, given how well thought out the world is a sandbox RPG. You could play as almost anything from an IPX surveyor, a Ranger, a Psicop, a freelance trader/merc/smuggler, Earthforce officer or just a civilian business person from just about any race.

Actually my "dream" B5 game would have you start off as a Starfury pilot during the Minbari war, survive the battle of the line, leave Earthforce and work as a surveyor out on the rim before being sucked into the events of the Shadow War and becoming a Ranger. The gameplay would be somewhere along the lines of "Beyond Good and Evil" with degrees of free roaming and side-quests between missions.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooohh, I like the idea of a B5 game! You're right, the diversity of characters would make things quite interesting!

And that's the same reason why I don't really get this Trek RPG. Sure there's a big variety of races and planets, but there's not exactly a great diversity in roles? Who's going to want to be the junior relief science officer on the night shift, anyway?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is one of the biggest flaws of the Star Trek universe is that it's been made up as it went along, so there's little or no connective tissue and next to no idea how the societies actually work, at least (ironically) from a human standpoint.
No money, war, poverty or disease and a "more evolved sensibility" sounds all well and good, but they've never really gotten into how it would actually work. I think the DS9 writers were the only ones to even take a stab at it and even they struggled with the concept.

B5 is simple in that thing work more or less how they do now. You want to go to Mars? You have to buy a ticket. You need money? Get a job. You want to travel through a jumpgate? You have to pay a toll. Dock at a station? Docking fees, customs and you'll probably have to rent a room. Visit another world? You'll need a visa. Want to survey a new planet? You'll have to buy the jumpgate codes from the corporation that owns them.
On top of that, JMS has sketched things out to such a point that you can drop a character at any point in the timeline for a thousand years in either direction and you have a good idea as to what's going on.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Actually my "dream" B5 game would have you start off as a Starfury pilot during the Minbari war, survive the battle of the line, leave Earthforce and work as a surveyor out on the rim before being sucked into the events of the Shadow War and becoming a Ranger. The gameplay would be somewhere along the lines of "Beyond Good and Evil" with degrees of free roaming and side-quests between missions.

I think it would be more interesting if you chose what side you wanted. Either on Earthforce side or ISA side.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

You mean as a human that stayed loyal to Clark, or as a Minbari?

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SUPER MIRANDA!!!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, wow. That ship is all kinds of messed up.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Vomits...* That's better. I'm wiping that ship from my memory now. Why would you take a ship like the Miranda, which already has limited space, and make it more limited by making the saucer hollow in places?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it has a magnetic hull and attracts pieces of (s)crap.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun in the comments section

"are the cryptic designers now 24/7 drunk?"

At least they didn't ruin the Klingon ship, even if the design is hundreds of years old by that time period.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Eaves has made about ten "new" Starfleet vessels for the game, and they only reinforce my opinion about his unimaginative, time-periodless designs that all look the same. Even his Iowa and Tahoe class ships are just Eavesified versions of the Sabre and Intrepid classes, and one of the classes looks like a giant peace symbol. Don't even get me started on this uber-Miranda.

And I just found another reason to dislike Eaves: The producers were going to build a new model for the Enterprise-B in Generations, and Eaves persuaded them to reuse the Excelsior!

(Actually, the truth is that John Eaves is an extremely talented artist and designer, much more than I could ever be. I just wish all his stuff didn't look the same).

As for the Klingon Raptor, somebody probably just said "this design is way too good just to be sitting around not being used in anything other than that shitty Enterprise show." And they're right. And, thanks to Eaves, the ship fits right in in the 25th century, 300 years after it was supposedly built.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I tend to agree. Eaves is from a technically standpoint a superb draughtsman, but his imagination in the realms of fictional starship design is chronically one tracked.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.