Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Future History - STO (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Future History - STO
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It fails even at sucking? This is low even for ST-games. Could cause a rift in subspace.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Legacy did suck. While it looked pretty, it was riddled with bugs and bad controls. Plus the physics were phucked up, with ships moving erraticly like if they were having a stroke. I got a change to play it once, and I played as an Akira. When the ship got to the top of the map it started nose diving like a play that flew to high into the atmosphere. Did the creators even know that most of Star Trek takes place in the near weightlessness of space?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! We're bashing Legacy!

Horrible, horrible horrible.

The battle damage looked like a four pointed star that grew bigger everytime you got hit. The warp engines were supposed to fall off if you hit them but they didn't. The targeting controls were so messed up it wouldn't stay with the target you chose. You're little fleet wouldn't do anything unless you switched shps and took manual control. They wouldn't repair themselves unless you took manual control. The multiplayer was broken right out of the box and took months to fix. Try to set up a quick skirmish match and the computer picks all dreadnoughts while you're stuck with a dinky little weiner-ship. While it was cool that the got some of the acual actors to do voice work for the game Capt. Janeway and Sisko got like 3 lines each if even that much.

Makes me glad I pirated the game and didn't pay a single penny for it, although it wasn't even worth the time I wasted on the torrent. Blew it away a week later, and went out and bought X3:Reunion, at least the user-created Star Trek ships for that game were at least half decent looking.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played a Trek ship sim once, don't remember which, it had a linear weapons layout; if you had a list of four phaser banks and two torpedo tubes, you had to fire the four phaser banks and the first torpedo bank in order to fire the second torpedo tube, you couldn't choose which weapon to fire when.

Just like Mechwarrior 2, every push of the trigger moved the firing icon one row down on the weapon setup list, truly dumb. OK, let's burn up all the long-range missiles on these pesky outlying scout mechs, nothing but medium laserbeams left for the core defenders!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you could set your groups, however Nim... at least in MW2Mercs i think you could...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Legacy's screenshots were a fanboy wet-dream- a bunch of FASA designs realised in 3-D!
I really REALLY wanted that game not to suck: it seems that it was developed for the X-Box and only adapted for PC as an afterthought- even the printed instructions for certain things are obviously meant for the X-Boxd controller.

Armada 2 is still pretty fun to play....at least it is when I beat my room-mate's ass with those cardie dreadnaught weapons!
I've never been able to get of those fucking mods to work though- and they look soo damn cool!
Anyone try that?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Armada 2 really was the shit. The latter Starfleet Command series however, sucked just as bad as Legacy did.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I played a Trek ship sim once, don't remember which, it had a linear weapons layout; if you had a list of four phaser banks and two torpedo tubes, you had to fire the four phaser banks and the first torpedo bank in order to fire the second torpedo tube, you couldn't choose which weapon to fire when.

Just like Mechwarrior 2, every push of the trigger moved the firing icon one row down on the weapon setup list, truly dumb. OK, let's burn up all the long-range missiles on these pesky outlying scout mechs, nothing but medium laserbeams left for the core defenders!

You could set your weapons groupings and fire one after another like you said or as a whole group. I haven't played MW2 in so long I almost forget what it was like. I usually liked to separate them into energy weapons, missiles, and ammunition based weapons like the Gauss or Autocannon. Then further dividing them into sub-groups based on range since it's obviously a waste to launch your SRM's with your LRM's when you're trying to hit a target way out of range of the SRMs. For me there was nothing better than putting a pair of AC20's on a jump-jet equipped Timberwolf and doing some close in killing. For fun I would have a Dire Wolf with a couple dozen flamers on it. A single alpha strike with that and you both blow up from massive overheating.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Legacy's screenshots were a fanboy wet-dream- a bunch of FASA designs realised in 3-D!
I really REALLY wanted that game not to suck: it seems that it was developed for the X-Box and only adapted for PC as an afterthought- even the printed instructions for certain things are obviously meant for the X-Boxd controller.

Armada 2 is still pretty fun to play....at least it is when I beat my room-mate's ass with those cardie dreadnaught weapons!
I've never been able to get of those fucking mods to work though- and they look soo damn cool!
Anyone try that?

You're absolutely right with that Xbox comment, I seem to recall a few times the game would ask you to push the "start" button...WTF!!

I never got a chance to play Armada 2, but there were some decent mods for the original, namely the Millennium Mod IIRC. You just had to try one and hope it wasn't horribly unbalanced, plus the installation procedures weren't exactly user friendly.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
Member # 205

quote:
You could set your weapons groupings and fire one after another like you said or as a whole group. I haven't played MW2 in so long I almost forget what it was like. I usually liked to separate them into energy weapons, missiles, and ammunition based weapons like the Gauss or Autocannon. Then further dividing them into sub-groups based on range since it's obviously a waste to launch your SRM's with your LRM's when you're trying to hit a target way out of range of the SRMs. For me there was nothing better than putting a pair of AC20's on a jump-jet equipped Timberwolf and doing some close in killing. For fun I would have a Dire Wolf with a couple dozen flamers on it. A single alpha strike with that and you both blow up from massive overheating.
Well, I'll try and remember that when revisiting MW4, I heard they're going to release it for free.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jason, you should try a mod called Fleet Ops. You don't need to have Armada 2 installed, just have the CD inserted into your computer and click on the mod installer. Be warned that they've ramped up the difficulty from the stock game, got my ass kicked by the Borg in like 15 minutes on the lowest AI setting. That's why I'll stick with Bridge Commander. [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll give it a try- it's the instilation of the mods that i'm somehow messing up.
I long for a more difficuly AI- currently I have to have four players against me for a challenge -usually I just take over their instillations and use ther ships/special weapons against the other AI players.

My roommate at least is a sneaky bastard with his cloaked ships- his favorite move is to have a whole cloaked fleet hang just outside the range of my sensors and pounce all at once.

Armada 2 is a great game but no fleet could sustain such casulaties for long.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Path to 2409 - 2391 Supplemental

Well, this is most certainly a curve ball. Not completely impossible, given "Message in a Bottle", but still... Out of left field.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Well considering the nomadic nature of the Hirogen, it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility. Though I can't seem them being a real threat to Starfleet, more likely a threat to Federation civilians. Though I'm sure the Klingons will just loooove them...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I dont really see a strong Romulan/Hirogen alliance happening.
What would they possibly have in common?
The Hirogen (being poorly realised Predator knock-offs)would want to hunt Klingons and Gorn, even Tholians and Breen...but unless they do some fleshing-out of Hirogen society and maybe establish some special needs, I dont know why the Hirogen would need to ally themselves with the Romulans.

Though I could see an technology swap- Hirogen ships with cloaks would be kinda cool.

Personally, I'd rather see the Gorn, Tholians or Tzenkethi developed....or some new threat from unexplored space.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on what section of Hirogen society was making the alliance - the Alpha that took Voyager and wanted his people to stop being nomadic might have had followers. They could be after a home planet and holodeck technology - and since they captured Voyager and had enough time to copy their database, they might have decided that the Romulans are their best bet.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps