Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 10)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's Star Trek the Flame Thrower? It's my favorite.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The kid's love it.

Don't forget the toilet paper.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well on the new site, the new Big-E has been officially labeled as a constitution class heavy cruiser.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought one of the new phasers today (OK, this is a starship thread in name, but I'm sure other tech will creep in here as well). Weird. It has the same sort of non-ergonomic feel that the TOS phaser had. I wonder if they were trying to keep to the spirit of the rather-retro pre-TOS/Cage/WNMHGB laser pistol with its swappable barrels (given the film is set pre-TOS, if that's even a consideration in this alternate timeline), but still make it look like what the less-clued-in would think of as a classic phaser?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I saw the movie yesterday (yay!). The spacedock scene went by in a flash, but there are definitely a few good looks at those other ships, before they "KABLAM!" into warp.

- There's at least two very recognizable shapes: the four-nacelled "Double Miranda" (#2 and #3), and a three-nacelled ship (#7). We see these two variants going to warp.
- The Double Miranda also appears as the Kobayashi Maru in the simulation. From the glimpses we get, it appears something is going on with her bottom nacelles. Wether it was damage or some extra structures I couldn't tell.
- Also in the Kobayashi Maru scenario, we see new Klingon Warbirds. They look very much like the original Klingon D7s, but with more details.
- #5 on the image posted is the Enterprise herself. While it is indeed true that the Enterprise is brand new, there is no direct evidence to suggest she's the only ship of this type. In fact, the official website sticks to the "Constitution class" name, and we hear the USS Hood and USS Farragut mentioned in dialog, although there's some indication that the Farragut is an older ship (at least Uhura is a bit miffed that she's assigned to the Farragut instead of the Enterprise).
- The wreckage seen over Vulcan are in fact these ships. So one of these must have that massive great saucer.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extra structures on the Kobayashi Maru: must be tanks for neutronic fuel, surely [Wink]

Are there any indications that *all* of the ships were destroyed by Nero?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, all of them, with no apparent survivors.

I'm assuming it includes all the ships named as assignments for cadets, ie the USS Hood, Farragut and others I cannot remember right now.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

To clarify the above: it's mentioned that Starfleet's main forces are tied up in the "Laurentian Sector". The ships at the Earth space station are sent to deal with the Vulcan attack, with a large number of Academy cadets making up the crews. Uhura is initially assigned to USS Farragut, and we hear about a handful of other ships where cadets get assigned too, presumably all to be sent to Vulcan.

--------------------

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if I get this right, the Farragut and the Hood are destroyed during the defense of Vulcan, along with all of the other ships we glimpse at the space station. The Hood was a Constitution-class in the original timeline, but are there any other Constitutions among the ships at the space station? Was it possible to positively identify the unknown ships discussed previously? I know, I will see by myself in 2 days, I can wait!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Hood was a Constitution-class in the original timeline, but are there any other Constitutions among the ships at the space station?
No, the Hood was a Constitution class ship as of 2267. This movie takes place before that, so this Hood is probably an older class of ship that the Connie Hood will replace. (Especially since the Enterprise is brand-new at this point, the newer Hood will be built after it, since it's registry is NCC-1703).

Or I could be totally wrong.

quote:
The wreckage seen over Vulcan are in fact these ships. So one of these must have that massive great saucer.
The ship with the big saucer might be the "Mayflower." And I don't think it's much bigger than the Enterprise's saucer.
Andru
Member # 2145

Yep, I agree the Hood might be an older class. One could pretend that a new Connie NCC-1703 is about to be commissioned at the time of the movie, and after the Vulcan attack it is decided that it will be named Hood to replace the one that was lost. We'll probably never know for sure either way, unless one of those ships around the station is *actually* labeled Hood.

But then TPTB are no longer bound by the old registry list, they're free to mess it up as much as they want (well ok, it was messy already!)

Isn't it funny that even though the Enterprise is launched about 13 years later in this timeline, her registry is still NCC-1701 [Big Grin] Of course, the 2245 original launch date was never really mentioned on screen... [Smile]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can assume there's at least one other Constitution Class ship in this timeline, namely, the Constitution. Though she's probably on the front lines in whatever conflict is taking up Starfleet's resources.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Well, there's reason to believe that at least the Farragut is an older type of ship. Uhura complains that she isn't assigned to the brand-new Enterprise.

There are no other Enterprise-type ships seen anywhere in the movie, nor is there any statement on whether she's a unique design or not. Yes, it's a new ship, but there's no "flagship" or "best ship in the fleet" classification.

Of course, there's no mention of a Robert April either, so whatever happens in 2233 also delays/changes the whole Constitution project. Considering the infamous 'butterfly effect' of small changes creating big ones, we may never really understand why everything is different by 2258 in the "Neroverse".

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well technically, there's no mention of Robert April in the TOS timeline either. He only showed up in writers guidelines and the encyclopedia... so we could ignore him if we wanted to.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there was that TAS episode...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps