Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 11)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most will agree that with one or two minor exceptions, TAS can quite easily be totally ignored.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well *I* don't agree hehe [Smile] But since this Enterprise seems to have been launched years after the original one, it's likely that April got another command instead, so we don't need to be worried him or his 'canonicity'.
Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
worried ABOUT him, sorry for the typo
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All right. I'm supposed to write this damn essay for university, but how could I possibly concentrate on that given the fact that tonight's the big night?

Anyway, here's some stuff from the novelization (Orci&Kurtzman are also credited on the front cover, so I guess they at least have *something* to do with it. Since the viral sites and the official site are somewhat of a 'canon bubble', I suppose this falls into the same category).

Page 81: They are giving the assignments of the cadets -
Blake - Newton
Burke - Starbase 3
Counter - Odyssey
Fugeman - Regula One (!)
Gerace - Farragut
Korax - Drake
McCoy - Enterprise
McGrath - Potemkin
Tel'Peh - Bradbury
Davis - Kongo

page 84 (cont'd)
Jaxa - Endeavor
T'Nag - Antares
Uhura - Farragut

The big one from the wallpaper is Starbase 1, btw. (p.91)

p 109: While approaching Vulcan, Pike tries to hail Captain Alexander of the Newton, then the Excelsior.
111 gives a good BoBWish moment when we get some names of the tactical display of ships approaching Vulcan: Armstrong, Defiant, Newton, Mayflower and Excelsior.
113, they drop out of warp and the remains of Defiant are right ahead. Do we get a corresponding effects shot in the movie?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they drop out of warp, and right in the middle of the debris field. The special effects in this movie are really on a whole new level, and we get a really good scene of the Enterprise frantically trying to avoid the saucer they're about slam into. Going by your post that would be the Defiant's saucer, I guess.

I remember the USS Antares from dialog too. And Pike does indeed try to hail the Vulcan fleet, but I'm not sure they mentioned any captain or ship in particular for that. I also remember something like USS Walcott as an assignment.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first block is from the Kirk-assignment-scene, the second one from Uhura's scene.

I was under the impression that there is some sort of tactical display a la Nemesis. When the fleet arrives at Vulcan, the novel mentions how the bridge crew witnesses one dot after another vanishing from the tacical screen and they pick up some distress calls from these ships.

Hey, 8 hours to go. [Cool] I will try to deliver some new info tonight...

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

So, just returned from the cinema. Not the best Trek movie, but certainly the most enjoyable and the most impressive. [Cool]

I can confirm that Pike tried to hail the Newton on their way to Vulcan, although no Captain was mentioned. Farragut and Hood, the unrecognizable name you emntioned above, Antares is also mentioned, another one I forgot, plus Pike also mentiones the Truman later on.

We get some good views of the starships, but I did not see the Kobayashi Maru in that one scene - when did it appear? (There were just the Klingon warbirds - btw, since when do we refer to the D7 or whatever that was as a "warbird"? I mean - no objections from me, it would make some sense, but the term Warbird was reserved for the D'Deridex for such a long time.)

One shuttle is the Moore, another one is the Gilliam in the bay scene. The evac med shuttle from the Kelvin is shuttle 37, it seems they have a whole bunch of them - same goes for the Enterprise, they are stored on two levels left and right of the hangar bay doors. Pike uses shuttle 9 (i was hoping for 7 [Smile] ), but I didn't catch the name. With the Bluray, we should be able to make out some names and registries.

Kirks escape pod is launched from that one spot where the travel pods used to dock, at the neck. We see the photon torpedo launcher in action - blue torpedoes, fired from the neck launcher. Phasers are still pulse weapons as per TOS, but they appear to be red. They use it for some massive barrage against Narada's rocket-things.

They did change the stardate system, first 4 digits indicate the year, last two digits probably indicate the day. I never cared for the old system, it gave me headaches. The jellyfish's computer gives its lauch date, it was 2378, IIRC. Or 87? It did correspond with the Countdown timestamp, I just mention it because this means the 24th century (the unaltered timeline) obviously uses that system now, too. Maybe it a civilian thing and the 5-digit-stardate is exclusive to Starfleet. Maybe they think it makes them look smarter, having a stardate system that no one really gets besides them. [Roll Eyes]

Some nice shots of Vulcan, that one wallpaper where you see the city of Shir'Kahr is *not* the whole thing. The camera pans up and you see some more skyscrapers hanging from one of the large cliffs or rock overhangs or whatever you could call it. Really impressive, but hard to describe.

And Pike in wheelchair! But just a regular one, Professor-X-style, no beeping folks. Maybe next time... [Big Grin] (Nero used a Ceti Eel on poor Pike to get the codes of Starfleet's defense grid for his attack on earth. *But* he didn't give him the small babies but the big thing instead, right through the mouth. Creepy stuff...)

47 Klingon ships were lost when Nero did his stuff along the Neutral Zone, where he was lying in wait for Spock Prime to show up. We don't see it, just get the info from Uhura.

Edit: Just fyi, they referred to the Kobayashi Maru as 'USS'.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(There were just the Klingon warbirds - btw, since when do we refer to the D7 or whatever that was as a "warbird"? I mean - no objections from me, it would make some sense, but the term Warbird was reserved for the D'Deridex for such a long time.)
Seriously.. that's a whole thread unto itself. You can basically blame STIII for assigning a "Bird of Prey" to the Klingons, and then Braga for planting the erroneous phrase "Klingon warbirds" in "Broken Bow". Back when all this was fields, and everything was better, Romulans had bird-like ships, Klingons had battlecruisers. Now, Romulans have Valdores that look like Klingon ships, and Klingons have Raptors and Warbirds. Meh.

- The Kobayashi Maru, or at least a Federation starship, can briefly be glimpsed through the simulated viewscreen, behind the 2-3 warbirds.

- Yeah, I got the sense that these ships are quite significantly larger than the originals. At least its implied that the Kelvin carries enough shuttles to succesfully evac 800 crew, and there's a shuttlecraft 98 (or 89) mentiones somewhere. Definitely more than 4-5 shuttles on the Enterprise.

- 2387, I think. It fits with the Countdown comics and the Star Trek Online "Path to 2409".

- I believe the "Klingon battle" was once planned to be seen, probably the reason they designed a new Klingon ship.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

What kind of designation is "Bird of Prey" or "Warbird" anyway? A nickname? A type designation like "heavy cruiser"? We better skip that discussion...

I'll have a closer look at 'behind the exploding fleet of Klingon ships' next time I watch it. But really - on the screen for two seconds, barely visible, possibly blurred? Sounds like the BoBW graveyard to me. They should release the film on VHS tape, for old times' sake. [Smile]

I'm not sure about the size. When the shuttle passed the dish (first shot of this new trailer ), I had the same feeling. On the other hand, there's this one shot where the camera zooms out of the main screen/window and we get a pretty good impression of the bridge and dome size and everything. Should be possible to get some size information out of that lateron. The 800 figure included families and civilians. The ship didn't strike me as particularely family-friendly. Maybe the were on a mission to deliver those guys somewhere?

Aren't you confusing the Klingon battle with Nero's escape from Rura Penthe? I'm not sure about any fleet action, but if it did include some, they better put it back in the movie for the DVD release... [Wink]

Another thing was Delta Vega; I heard some complains that it's now a planet or a moon in the Vulcan system, for some reason. I found the Delta Vega reference somewhat strange in that context (seemed to be random name-dropping; which wouldn't make sense. Those who 'get' it also know where DV is located, those who don't recognize the name probably wouldn't care of they'd given it any other name). But it could be close-by, maybe somewhere in the sector. Why would Starfleet have a remote outpost on a moon within the Vulcan system?
Spock 'seeing' the explosion of Vulcan on the other hand gave me that distinct Intrepid-vibe. Maybe it was some sort of vision, he mentioned 6 billion dying; clearly that should have a severe effect on him when he already noticed the death of 400.

Andru
Member # 2145

Ok I've seen the movie now so here are a few more snippets of information...

There are 20 shuttles evacuating the Kelvin crew, give or take one (and including medical shuttle 37). One more is the shuttle used by Robau to get on the Narada, it bears NCC-0514 and the number 3 but I'm not sure this is the complete registry. As far as I can tell, all of the Kelvin's shuttles are of the same model.

Nero (or one of his minions) says there are 7 Starfleet ships converging on Vulcan, likely this doesn't include the Enterprise as it will be mentioned later as 'another ship approaching' or something to that effect.

Scotty's dirty shuttle on Delta Vega also has a registry, it's 78072 if I remember correctly.

Robau gives stardate as 223304 (no period), Kirk gives 2258.42, the Jellyfish computer states 'commissioned stardate 2387' but that's not much of a stardate if you ask me.

I'm not sure if I heard correctly, but there's maybe a ship Helios named just before the Truman? Or was that just 'USS'?

The fleet scene at Spacedock (not called Starbase 1 in the movie, alas) is very short and with the shaky camera, flares and all it's quite difficult to make out the details of the other starfleet ships. I think I saw a proto-Miranda there among the other kitbashes, a saucer with two nacelles under.

That's all I can think of right now!

Andru
Member # 2145

Here is my best take on what I heard during the assignment call, probably far removed from the real thing!

(male commander voice)

???, ??? (no idea here)
Blake, USS Farragut
McCoy, USS Enterprise
Brad??, USS Walcott??
Vader??!, USS Hood
Welcome to Starfleet, Godspeed!

(further on, female voice)

???, ??? (no idea)
???, USS Hood
Uhura, USS Farragut
??ski, USS Antares
Go to your stations and good luck.

Later on, Pike tries to hail the Truman and possibly another ship (Helios??)

I’m sure you guys have caught it better, I’m looking forward to your input! I have a mediocre sound clip of that scene (for research purposes!), I can share it if it's of any use.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Oh, yeah, I can add that since I'm Dutch, I saw a subtitled version, with all the assignment ships spelled out. I do seem to remember it as "Walcott" indeed, which seems to be a city in Iowa. Seems we've traded in all the Bozeman, Montana references with Iowa references [Wink]

Waitaminute.. did he say Godspeed to Starfleet cadets? That's a bit.. awkard.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only ship names I heard were Enterprise, Hood, Farragut, Truman, and Antares (although I thought I heard "Centaurus," but I'm probably wrong.

Keep in mind that there were only seven ships (not including the Enterprise). It corresponds to the photo (which was actually a scene in the movie), minus the small support ships. So the ships must have been:

1. Hood
2. Farragut
3. Antares
4. Truman
5. Walcott?
6. Mayflower?
7. ?
8. Enterprise

Also, the Kobayashi Maru scene with the Klingon ships and the KM went by so fast I couldn't concentrate on the ships. Therefore, I can't remember what they all looked like.

As stated before, the two clearest Starfleet vessels in the fleet were the three-nacelled ship and the four-nacelled/two-nacelled-two-engineering hulled ship, before they go to warp. They're seen from the rear, so no name/registry could be seen.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well considering I've seen the movie 3 times now, I did like it as a film... as a Trekkie I'm still pissed off about loosing two planets.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/144/NewUSSEnterprise.jpg
The USS Enterprise model that was commissioned for the film- not the filming model but the ones artists decorated.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/144/USSEnterpriseside.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/144/Profile.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/144/Morephasers.jpg
The Kelvin crew had the TOS-style phasers and communicators.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/144/Starfleetcase.jpg
One of those things that we carried around CSUN.

*edit by CC: Huge images break tables. Please, won't you think about the tables?!*

[ May 12, 2009, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Charles Capps ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Wait.. are all those props from the new movie? If so, then what are the two other phasers and communicators? Kelvin-era?

--------------------

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.