Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 13)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Andrew
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Andrew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught that "Vader, USS Hood" assignment too. Sounds like a quick, funny nod to "Star Wars". Along with a few other nods and borrowings here and there.

quote:
Originally posted by Andru:
Here is my best take on what I heard during the assignment call, probably far removed from the real thing!

(male commander voice)

???, ??? (no idea here)
Blake, USS Farragut
McCoy, USS Enterprise
Brad??, USS Walcott??
Vader??!, USS Hood
Welcome to Starfleet, Godspeed!

(further on, female voice)

???, ??? (no idea)
???, USS Hood
Uhura, USS Farragut
??ski, USS Antares
Go to your stations and good luck.

Later on, Pike tries to hail the Truman and possibly another ship (Helios??)

I’m sure you guys have caught it better, I’m looking forward to your input! I have a mediocre sound clip of that scene (for research purposes!), I can share it if it's of any use.

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to do some scaling with the trailer image and that pic on gizmodo. Unless my numbers are waaaaaay off (quite possible), then the new E is huge, even bigger than the 725m stated on a few sites.

Assuming the viewscreen/window is 2m tall (and it could be anywhere between 1.8m and 2.5m I reckon), then it would make the saucer around 86.8m high, at least on the trailer picture. Taking that 86.8 to the Gizmodo profile view, gives you a length of around 921.3m! That's ridiculously sized!

-
 -

Also tried scaling it a bunch of other ways, like using the neck life pod port. Depending on the numbers I use to guestimate various things, the length comes out at between 409m and 624m!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that picture above is "curved", meaning that it is not a plane scematics-like front view but its distorted. The central axis is further away from the p.o.v., therefore is appears smaller. Maybe you can use a window of the front-end of the saucer for comparison. Additionally, I don't know how accurate the schematic is. Isn't that the one from Bernd? You're basing your estimate on a 2m-window. Even a small variation in the schematic could lead to huge discrepancies.
For now, I have no idea how large the E is, but it is supposed to be as large as the original E, I guess. There's no evidence that that would suggest anything else. [Smile]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that the size is all that bad, considering the massive cavern shown on the Alt-E.
The massive amounts of water, for example, would take up more volume than that of the TOS-E used for it. I seem to remember a mention of the sonic showers, but it could be from a book, so not really canon.

The engineering section is another give away as to the shear volume of the Alt-E, when compared to the TOS-E.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it today. Not sure what I think yet. I found out about that Kelvin phaser a few days ago but haven't had a chance to add it to the page yet. If I even bother - I didn't even spot it in the film.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess another thing the presence of the MASSIVE Romulan vessel did... Starship designers were like... "hmmm we have to build our ships BIG! Like they do in the future!" [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then the Kelvin wasn't exactly puny, with its 20+ shuttles and 800+ crew/passenger manifest.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe someone should ask the guys at ILM how big the ship is. They seem to be quite meticulous when it comes to details such as the lengths of particular starships. And while you're at it, please also ask them how long the Defiant, Enterprise-E, Borg cube and Phoenix are. Thank you. [Big Grin]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read through all 13 pages of this thread, and maybe people consider Memory Alpha to be a big evil...thingie, but according to their entry for this ship:

* A very precise length of 2379.75 feet (725.35 meters) is stated in a Gizmodo blog entry. A note of thanks is given to "David B. from Bad Robot Productions".

* ILM model supervisor Bruce Holcomb states that the Enterprise is "2000 feet [600 meters]" long in an interview for Studio Daily.

* The Post Magazine article 'Star Trek' Returns gives an overall length of "3,000 feet [900 meters]".

* The following specifications can be found during the Enterprise Tour:
o Length: 2500 feet [760 meters].
o Saucer Diameter: 1100 feet [340 meters].
o Ship Height: 625 feet [190 meters]. "

So, yes, it really is that massive. And inconsistent. Ladies and gentleman, it's the USS Defiant for the 21st century.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joy... I guess the ship has replicators as well to build a fleet of shuttles like Voyager and countless redshirts to expend. I want to see the crew quarters, especially for the officers now as I think Kirk has his decorated like Baltar's harem.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blame Star Wars... I mean REALLY - what the hell is in most of the Death Star or the Super Star Destroyer? I reckon it's just packed full of wigs.

The Defiant showed us that you didn't need a massive ship to make a massive impact.

Infact now that I think about it - what was the D'Deridex class Warbird filled with? Or that massive Jem'Hadar battle cruiser?

At least people like Rick Sternbach and Mike Okuda THINK about what goes on inside the ships and what they are used for.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Blame Star Wars... I mean REALLY - what the hell is in most of the Death Star or the Super Star Destroyer? I reckon it's just packed full of wigs.

The Defiant showed us that you didn't need a massive ship to make a massive impact.

Then there's always that certain blue box...

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Infact now that I think about it - what was the D'Deridex class Warbird filled with? Or that massive Jem'Hadar battle cruiser?

At least people like Rick Sternbach and Mike Okuda THINK about what goes on inside the ships and what they are used for.

Gnomes. or halflings. fucking millions of hin, all wanting to bed your lovers, doing evil...'

oh, fuck. just gnomes, guys. the ships are full of gnomes (since it takes 3 halflings to run the tholian ships...)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're filled with Lucas' ego.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the double post, but looky here.

http://www.icgmagazine.com/wordpress/2009/05/12/where-no-dp-has-gone-before/

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.