Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 15)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys, may I say that THIS is why Flare is THE place for impossibly detailed ship discussion and reconstruction!

Daaaamn- Bernd need to place ALL this on his site-BX's deck breakdows in particular!

Also, if the NuPrise is 700 meters long, Spacedock is larger than the Borg Unimatrix.
That I cannon- WILL NOT accept.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here's a nice drawing of the Jellyfish and Narada by Ryan Church.

http://www.ryanchurch.com/index.htm

Also had a nice concept drawing of the NU-Connie not too long ago.

http://johneaves.wordpress.com/2009/05/11/ryans-got-some-new-work-up-on-his-site/

Looks better than the final product.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That concept drawing addresses my major gripe abuout the NuPrise- the Bussard collectors.
Someone Photoshopped the old (enlarged) Connie's Bussards onto thenew design and I though it looked rather sharp (if cartoony).
Like something that would have existed in "Phase II".

Something I need to mention as really REALLY odd:
It seems that the new ship has all the small hatches that the Refit has- you know, those small single-man elevators for evac work- and it seems that...they all fire weapons.

Yes, it's dumb but there's precedent for this: the same hatches on the Constellation have single-turrett Phasers added on.
(making the Constellation just as tough as an Excelsior in a fight, but I digress).

Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was just going to mention that 8 looks like a standard 2 nacelle 2 secondary hull to me. In fact if you look carefully you can even see the shuttle bay of the second secondary hull behind the closest nacelle.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you mention it, yes, you're right. I see it too. So #3 and #8 are in fact the same class, and #2 may be as well, but again the nacelles look a bit different to me.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it just be that #2's running lights just happened to blink at the instant the frame was grabbed?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't think so. In these grabs, there are three different spacedock scenes, and the bumps are in all three:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/STXI/

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2357 feet??
Here's some more fuel to feed the ship size discussion. Sorry to bring it up [Wink]

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5071

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 miles long for the Narada? Whatever.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, these people obviously have no idea what they're doing in terms of scaling.
Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, 30 feet for the shuttle (but which one?) sounds about right.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the movie goers weren't the only ones who had a problem with the lens flares. According to the article, they were a huge pain in the rear for the FX companies as well.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I thought it would be fun to post a conclusion to my original analysis from the opening post.

1. The U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, Constitution Class. This new take on the venerable old Enterprise was designed by Ryan Church, who is best known for his work on the Star Wars prequels. Because it seems that this Enterprise is brand-new once Pike takes command and Kirk is serving as a cadet, this implies that any other Starfleet vessel shown will be an older design.

Yes, the Enterprise was brand-new. Yes, it was the only design of its kind in the movie. But...it's 3,000 feet...wait, it's 2,500 feet...no, it's 2,000 feet...wrong again! It's 2,357 feet [Smile] Gentlemen, it's the Defiant for the 21st century.

2. The U.S.S. Kelvin NCC-0514, class unknown. The ship that Kirk's father served on twenty years ago. The ship consists of a flat saucer section, with a secondary hull above and a very large nacelle below. The ship is supposed to be smaller than the Enterprise, but probably not by much. Pike is rumored to have quoted to Kirk that his father saved 800 people during the Kelvin's "accident." Does this mean that the Kelvin had a crew complement of 800 or even more than that?

The Kelvin's class remains unknown. It did indeed have a crew of over 800 people. And it was probably much bigger in size than what was previously thought.

3. Other 23rd century Federation starships.
I was less than thrilled to hear that they hired John Eaves to be the principle ship designer for this movie (sans the Enterprise), since I dislike his work because all his designs look the same regardless of race, organization, or time period that the ships belong. I'm hoping that at least with both the Enterprise and the Kelvin designs, he'll try to stick close to those aesthetics. With that said, we know at least that other Starfleet vessels will be shown, because they appeared destroyed over Vulcan in the trailer. These ships were part of the "Vulcan rescue fleet" to which the Enterprise also belongs, so it's reasonably certain we'll see them in their pre-destroyed state. We do see that the wreckage consists mainly of saucers and nacelles (or perhaps engineering sections, since the nacelles seem to be as large as they are. We definitely see one intact ship at the space station, although it is very small. It seems to consist of a small saucer with two nacelles attached to upward-pointing pylons.

First, let me start by apologizing for my negative comment about John Eaves' work. His blog gave me a better understanding of the design process in ST and why his designs tend to look the same...and anyway, he only designed shuttles in the movie. As for the ships, there are seven other vessels besides the Enterprise and the Kelvin (and the Kobayashi Maru), with at least three different classes total. But again, we don't know any class names.

4. Romulan starships (24th century). I'm assuming that any Romulan ships we will see will originate in the 24th century, or whatever future point in time Nero comes from. It is not at all certain that the "Narada" space-octopus thing is actually a Romulan ship. There is a description of the ship Nero actually uses to tether to Vulcan: "all angles, with chains drooping off the sides."

The Narada was a Romulan mining vessel, basically the Romulan equivalent of Red Dwarf, although it looks nothing like a Romulan ship. Obviously the above description was just bad hearsay. It is the only Romulan vessel from any era to appear.

5. Klingon starships. Since Nero is apparently being held prisoner on the Rura Penthe of the 24th century, and Anton Yelchin is quoted as saying that there are Klingon ships on the screen (possibly during Kirk's Kobayashi Maru test), it seems we may see Klingon vessels from both time periods. JJ Abrams said that there was a whole plot thread involving Klingons that he had to cut for story reasons. Hopefully the deleted scenes will be on the DVD release.

Klingon "warbirds" do appear in the KM scenario, and look remarkably like D7's. However, the scene where 47 warbirds were destroyed by Nero was cut. I'm guessing they were all the same type as the KM versions.

6. 24th century starships. So far, the only known 24th century vessel is old Spock's Vulcan time ship. I was sincerely hoping that old Spock came from far enough in the future that if there were any scenes there, the Enterprise-F would be shown. That would have been a great symbol of how long the Enterprise's legacy would have lasted to the average movie viewer. But that probably won't happen.

It didn't. The only 24th century ship (besides the Narada) was Spock's ship. Based just on the movie, the ship was of Vulcan origin, but described only as their "fastest ship." No "time core" as was previously stated, since it's not a timeship. It also has no name.

7. Other ships. If Trek history is to be followed, we may get to see the actual Kobayashi Maru freighter. Plus, there will be shuttles, escape pods, etc. that will or have already been shown.

Saw the KM, and it looked remarkably like a well-known fan design of the ship. Also, besides two or three types of shuttles, there were small support ships docked at the space station, which looked like small starships too. Hopefully we'll see all of these ships soon in future publications.

Captain Untouchable
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for Captain Untouchable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading through this thread for a good hour or so now, and feel like some kind of creepy stalker for perving on all your thoughts in secret, so I figured I'd sign up and chime in.

I'm still in the "not quite convinced" camp regarding #8. I've taken a look at the perspective shots people have done: its just that those engineering hulls are so damn fat that you'd expect to see *some* sign of the starboard hull behind the port nacelle. I'm just not seeing any indication of it there. I guess it makes sense to accept it as one of the 2-2 designs though; I can't see the logic in Starfleet having ships that are almost identical, aside from the number of pods hanging off the bottom.

So yeah; I guess 1=4=7, and 2=3=8.

I've been doing some pondering over what the ships might be; whether they're completely new designs, or bastardised versions of existing concepts. Presumably, the Kelvin should just plug straight in to the existing ship designs. The registry for the Kelvin drops her right in the middle of the Saladin-class, and they certainly share the single nacelle. However, the Ranger-class features the over-saucer pod in the RPG graphics, and while she's got two nacelles, something about the Kelvin being a Ranger-class just sits better with me. Maybe its because the name is cooler!

The 147-class reminds me a little of a Ptolemy-class, if it had snagged a nacelle from another ship. However, taking the rollbar into account, and the shape of the saucer, I'm guessing that its meant to be some sort of nuMiranda, or at least a tribute to that design. Its either that, or an entIntrepid that someone bolted the engineering hulls to.

Weirdly, the 238-class makes me think of an Oberth before anything else. I guess its the way that the nacelles are mounted onto the saucer, and the sloping pylons to the engineering hull. The older Oberths have registries are only the next hundred up from the Kelvin though, and though the snaps we've got are quite small, they look more like Enterprise relatives than Kelvin relatives. Maybe its the colour of the hull?

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that they thought it was weird that the Enterprise was still the 1701, despite having been delayed by... 13 years? I'm gonna flip things around and say that I'm glad of that, actually. Something about the way that Starfleet was approached in the movie conjured up images of it being quite a small venture still, particularly if the entire fleet could be tied up in a single battle so easily. Based on the formation of the Federation in 2161, we aren't even a century on from that, and they're meant to have produced 1600 ships? (Assuming that the Daedalus = NCC-100) Okay, most of the fleet was tied up, but only having eight starships left to defend Earth and Vulcan - two of the central planets in the Federation - seems a bit desperate to me. Unless there were already ships at Vulcan, which Nero destroyed before the Enterprise arrived? There was certainly a lot of debris.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Hi Capt., welcome to Flare.

As for #8, I'm totally convinced it has two engineering hulls, even though you can only clearly see one. The shuttlebay door of the other hull can be seen behind the port nacelle if you look closely enough. Heck, this guy built a model that proves it:

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/strangename19/STXI/?action=view¤t=Quadangles.jpg

Right now, I'm just not entirely convinced #2 is also the same, as I've stated my issues with its nacelles. From that angle they almost look like Galaxy class nacelles [Smile]

I wouldn't put too much stock in trying to equate what we saw in the movie to what was essentially a fan publication written in the late 70's (FJ's tech manual). I'm pretty sure any similarity with designs in the movie and sketches in the manual are entirely coincidental. And on that note, I'm sure there was not a lot of thought behind the registry schemes equating to time periods either, at least not like an Okudaic scheme would probably have been.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps