Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
[QB2) [Two] Teh # Dose: ENT is the post FC universe. So anything that could occur, probably did. In the last episode of ENT, durin any of the flash-forwards to Riker & the Scoob gang, did you ever see the Ent-D exterior? I don't remember but assuming that any tech made after ENT would probably look different/better...[/QB]

We saw the E-D exterior several times during that episode. Just look through Trek Core and you'll see 'em.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I couldn't give two shites either way, so long as it's a good movie.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There you go. [Smile]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
What will likely happen is that we'll end up with the conclusion that this is a reboot and not really related to other Treks any more than the Lost in Space movie was related to the original series. Same characters, same ship, new look.

And you know what... I'm fine with that.

It has been unilaterally stated by the people making the movie that this is not their intention, though.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
What will likely happen is that we'll end up with the conclusion that this is a reboot and not really related to other Treks any more than the Lost in Space movie was related to the original series. Same characters, same ship, new look.

And you know what... I'm fine with that.

It has been unilaterally stated by the people making the movie that this is not their intention, though.
Bob Orci, one of the people making this movie, says it's a parallel universe with timeline changes introduced by Nero's trip back:

quote:
Anthony: OK, now let’s get really into it. From the trailer, and certainly from the four scene preview, there is no doubt that things are different. Pike and Kirk are hanging out in a bar. The ship looks different. Kirk is on the Enterprise and not headed to the Farragut. People are seeing Romulans…things are different. Now it has been revealed in the Entertainment Weekly article that Nero goes back in time and attacks the Kelvin, and JJ also talked about this during his previews. So the big question is: Is the destruction of the Kelvin, the canon reason why everything is different?

Bob: It is the reason why some things are different, but not everything is different. Not everything is inconsistent with what might have actually happened, in canon. Some of the things that seem that they are totally different, I will argue, once the film comes out, fall well within what could have been the non-time travel version of this move.

Anthony: So, for example, Kirk is different, because his back story has totally changed, in that his parents…and all that. But you are saying that maybe Scotty or Spock’s back story would not be affected by that change?

Bob: Right.

Anthony: Does the time travel explain why the Enterprise looks different and why it is being built in Riverside Iowa?

Bob: Yes, and yes.

Anthony: OK, well then some fans will say ‘fair enough, alternate timeline, we are used to that, but that is not my Kirk, that is some other Kirk.’ So is this still our movie, or are we seeing some other version of Star Trek?

Bob: Well that depends on whether or not you believe in nature or nurture and how much you believe in, for lack of a better word, their souls. I would argue that for the characters, their true nature does not change. Our motto for this movie was ’same ship, different day.’

They're not going all willy-nilly changing stuff ((cough) *BSG* (cough)), but it is basically a reboot by setting most of the renewed franchise (we trust) in a universe not the same as the most well-trod.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. It functions in some respects like a reboot, but not in the same sense as Lost In Space (to use Aban's example) or BSG (to use yours) in that there is an explanation for why things are different and the existence of everything that has come before is acknowledged within the context of the story.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, there's an explanation. But not a very good one, IMHO. It sounds like trying to justify how this really fits in when it obviously doesn't.

Part of it, I guess, will have to do with how long before Kirk's Academy days the destruction of the Kelvin takes place. In other words, does Nero go back to when Kirk was a baby to initiate his e-vil plan? That would give him a chance to effect more of the character's backstories. But if the attack on the Kelvin is something that happens, say, while the Enterprise is being built, then the above quoted explanation is total crap.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For this all to work, the timeline changes MUST occur before 2245. The only problem is, of course, I seriously doubt that Abrams and Co really CARE all that much about those details, hence the increasing desperation in placating 'fanbois' with technobabble excuses for the writing.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

My impression is that the Kelvin incident takes place before Kirk is even born.

You guys are right that this is all a fairly thin veil of excuses, and I would definitely have preferred a straight prequel, but I think we should be glad they're making any attempt at all to explain it. Like I said in the thread in General, as far as I'm concerned, the worst possible thing would have been for it to just be a remake. I'm so so sick of remakes.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{Activates BS-o-Matic}

Obviously, significant chronoclasmic events in the timeline can not only effect changes to the chain of temporal causality in the T+ direction, but like ripples in a pond can produce a capillary wavefront of elementary dimensional temporal distortion in the T- direction, with the result (naturally) that a significant enough interference event can alter reality in the T- direction "simultaneous to" (forgiving the joke) the simple causality chain breakages in the T+ trajectory.

{Deactivates BS-o-Matic}

Or:

"Nero screws shit up so bad, he changes the past even further back than his bumpy-headed ass went!"

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may not be as out there as it sounds, given how many temporal incursions originated from the 23rd century (and Kirk in particular) so any predestination paradoxes would also be influenced, thereby altering their effect on the the past.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Hey, I didn't think of THAT! Fascinating...

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Nero screws up Kirks timeline, which screws up the rest of the timeline by screwing with Kirk, in the future, screwing with the timeline? Got it!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

That's a much cleaner version than the BS-o-Matic.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
So, Nero screws up Kirks timeline, which screws up the rest of the timeline by screwing with Kirk, in the future, screwing with the timeline? Got it!

Wasn't this idea the basis for episode of Dexter's Laboratory? [Razz]
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps