Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Doug Drexler blog (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Doug Drexler blog
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: It seems that the name printed on the "Centaur" DS9 kitbashed model is "U.S.S. Buckner," after Adam Buckner, one of the people who built the models.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's put up the orthos of the Iceland...

And...wait for it....

The SS Emmette!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I thought we'd never see what this ship really looked like! His blog is really becoming a treasure trove of inside info that we would otherwise never get to see. I check it regularly now.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:

I thought we'd never see what this ship really looked like! His blog is really becoming a treasure trove of inside info that we would otherwise never get to see. I check it regularly now.

I've been waiting for this day my whole life, this day of reckoning.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Fascinating similarities to the Romulan Bird of Prey, suggesting some truth to the theory that the Romulan’s had stolen intel on this ship, and built their own version.
Yeah....but if the Romulans were so primitave in their warp capabilites that they'd copy this bucket, how could they have even stolen the plans?
They'd never have made it to earth to plant a spy.

Unless, you say there are Romulan spys among the Vulcans, but if that were so, they'd just steal the far more advanced Vulcan designs instead.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except of course there really WAS Romulan spies on Vulcan. Not that I think the Romulan's nicked the design, the vague similarity could just be a coincidence. That or the Emmette was reverse engineered from an old, obsolete Vulcan design, one that's very similar the the ships they had pre-Surak...

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they were without warp technology, I think it's safe to assume that their technology level is around that of 21st century Earth, probably around the time they discovered warp. I'd be willing to bet that an early Human design like this would be a hell of a lot easier to copy than a Vulcan design, which would be more complex.

Also, there may be security issues. Infiltrating the Vulcan society is one thing, but getting to their technology, might be a whole nother story. It'd probably be easier to get into a Human facility, disguised as a Vulcan, than it would be to get into a Vulcan facility.

Alternatively, if, they did travel into earth territory, although it may have taken a long time, it would probably be easier to hijack a Human ship, with it's relatively puny defenses, than it would a Vulcan ship. With sufficient work on the part of the Romulans, I'm sure the ships disappearance could be made to look like an accident, and very little would probably come of any investigation, given Earth's limited resources (yeah, I know they'd be aided by the Vulcans, but I doubt they'd commit everything they had to an investigation.).

Who knows...perhaps the Romulans copied the Iceland instead. Those ships probably have more range from home, so little could be done about any disappearance. I'm just glad that we finally have this ship to feast our eyes on.

Edit: Odd...when I hover my mouse over the pictures on the blog, they are shown as labeled "iss emmette". Mirror Universe? [Confused] Maybe the front of the model wasn't finished until the scene it was used in was modified for the MU episode title sequence.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
He's put up the orthos of the Iceland...

And...wait for it....

Thought I posted a shot of this sitting in LW a while back.....
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you did! That was our first look at a great little ship.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who can dig up the Norway for us!?! Those first contact ships!! ARRRGH! It's been nearly 12 and a half years!!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think the Norway CGI was lost.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There must be a few orthographic renders around since whoever drew those schematics for the fact files must have had reference.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly... I still think it is around SOMEWHERE - don't tell me only one person worked on it, on one computer and it was never ever copied to anyone else or to any other computer.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, they could have extrapolated the orthos from the two pictures we have, just like everyone else has. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

No, from what I gather, the fact files only worked from primary sources, sometimes to a fault.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yet, what about what I'm saying. I highly doubt a CGI model built for a motion picture only existed in one file on one computer and was never saved anywhere else or worked on by anyone else. Someone, somewhere has a copy of it - and the others used in FC.

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps