Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Doug Drexler blog (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Doug Drexler blog
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on what the movie industry's policy is on computer files, it could be in some hard drive or disc in ILM's archives or stored at Paramount. If it's the latter then I wouldn't be at all surprised if the original mesh was lost. Remember that Warner Bros managed to loose just about ALL of the Babylon 5 Lightwave models!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
No, from what I gather, the fact files only worked from primary sources, sometimes to a fault.

Nope- the Fact Files version has some sort of Defiant collage thing for the ventral side (which was never actually created for the movie due to the CGI model's low-res nature).
It was never intended for scrutiny and so never bothered with- the downside to CGI models.
we'd be far better served by getting ahold of whatever sketches were made to work from.

Or just use this!
Or this!

Seriously, that Fact Files thing bugs me no end- stretching parts of the Defiant's top view and pasting them on is a lazy ass thing to do.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably was just the Fact Files people making it up, but there's always the possibility that whoever made the Norway CG model didn't have references for the underside and reused textures from the Defiant.

I remember noticing once that some sections of the Akira's textures looked like they were copied over from the Ent-E.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Yet, what about what I'm saying. I highly doubt a CGI model built for a motion picture only existed in one file on one computer and was never saved anywhere else or worked on by anyone else. Someone, somewhere has a copy of it - and the others used in FC.

Yes, and it's a pile of crap.
MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
I remember noticing once that some sections of the Akira's textures looked like they were copied over from the Ent-E.

Nope. That sort of crap is far more noticeable on the Steamrunner model. Quite amusing really.
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, you´ve seen them? You have them? Share...

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MattC:
Nope. That sort of crap is far more noticeable on the Steamrunner model. Quite amusing really.

Hehe, I knew it was one of them.

And nobody would have been any the wiser if it weren't for the giant Fact Files renders.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
No, from what I gather, the fact files only worked from primary sources, sometimes to a fault.

Nope- the Fact Files version has some sort of Defiant collage thing for the ventral side (which was never actually created for the movie due to the CGI model's low-res nature).
It was never intended for scrutiny and so never bothered with- the downside to CGI models.
we'd be far better served by getting ahold of whatever sketches were made to work from.

Or just use this!
Or this!

Seriously, that Fact Files thing bugs me no end- stretching parts of the Defiant's top view and pasting them on is a lazy ass thing to do.

Well ILM also did a low res (read mostly photo maped) Defiant model, yes? So it's possible someone just slapped the Defiant model's image map on the Norway's otherwise flat and featureless underside?

Actually I'm almost certain that's what happened because the underside of the Sabre's saucer has what looks like the Galaxy's bridge substructure and ILM just so happened to have a photo mapped model of the Nebula they made for Generations (for the warp effect at the end.)

That sounds more likely to me than the Fact Files just making it up. Not that I hold them in high regard or anything, I just don't credit them with that degree of imagination. Case in point, look where they've put the red/green beacons on the saucer. I'll bet you a fiver that's an artefact of the mesh lights being set away from the polys.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will I asked Mr. Drexler yesterday in his Emette post about the Norway, and he's responded that he'll investigate.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWEET! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, he's also begun asking people for what ships they'd like to know more about. As you might guess, the post is filled with requests, and a certain Mr. Bernd [Wink] has compiled a list of ships with little info.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/04/27/drex-files-ship-survey/

MattC
Member # 1391

quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
So, you´ve seen them? You have them? Share...

Sure. I've seen a lot of things. I don't really have the time to render anything right now. Unfortunately, real life dictates that I have to deal with real ships. [Wink]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woot! Sternbach replied to me!
I win coolest Flarite O' The Day award- a free beer from my fridge (Sam Adams).
And a cool Sternbach interview too!
Turns out he's a huge Stargate fan.
Smart guy.

Hmmm.....do we know who designed all the ships and such for the Stargate shows?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Rick Sternbach interview... it has pictures of his Voyager protoytpe... I don't think i've EVER seen a picture of it's deflector dish - and it's annoyed me for years that I haven't been able to see it - has anyone got a picture of it?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I asked for orthos and a Deflector shot- we'll see what he has.

I have several parts needed to build that model- I even have A set of orthos but I have no idea if it's accurate.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps