Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Klingon Bird of Prey (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Klingon Bird of Prey
Treknophile
Member # 1869

- posted      Profile for Treknophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where I can get some accurate KBoP schematics? The construction plans for the shooting model (or model kit) would be great.

I swear, this is the most complex ship exterior in Trek.

--------------------
www.strategicdesignpub.com

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know where you can get some inaccurate ones.

Well, I shouldn't say that. I can't vouch one way or another.

Try this link: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php. Plenty of schematics and blueprints here to leaf through. Mostly Starfleet but a fair representation of Klingon ships also.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go out on a limb and admit I hate the KBOP.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh its okay, not great, but okay. Not a huge fan of the Defiant though. I mean the weapons are cool, but I always felt the concept art version looked better.
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the KBOP was one of the best starship designs I'd seen, in fact it was a little too swoopy and cool for Trek and more Star Wars in feel. As for the Defiant, I'm no huge fan of the on-screen version but it's magnitudes better than the concept version.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Defiant may not be the prettiest ship, but it sure is the tastiest.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks seriously "Star Wars" with those silly guns on the wingtips- why it needs wings is anyone's guess- certainly not for lift during atmospheric flight.

Most overused ship ever.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I BoP is probably the only Klingon ship that look good from just about any angle. The Vor'cha, K'tinga/D7 and Neg'var all have one or two good angles but other than that they tend to loose their character. To me that's what separates a good design from a great one.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship was used so much (with nonsense explanations) because it a) looks very cool, and b) because the model is very good. You dont throw away something like that after using it once, you stomp it into the ground at every opportunity.

The wings are there because they're cool, nothing more. If function ruled then all the ships in Trek would be big cylinders, spheres or cubes, to get all the volume you need for the smallest material used. They'd look like a lot of Masao's fleet museum stuff, boilers in space!

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:

The wings are there because they're cool, nothing more. If function ruled then all the ships in Trek would be big cylinders, spheres or cubes, to get all the volume you need for the smallest material used. They'd look like a lot of Masao's fleet museum stuff, boilers in space!

Err... Thanks!

BOILERS! In SPAAAAAACE!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

Nicely painted boilers, I'm sure everyone agrees. [Smile]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't take that Masao! Go knock his teeth down his throat!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
The ship was used so much (with nonsense explanations) because it a) looks very cool, and b) because the model is very good. You dont throw away something like that after using it once, you stomp it into the ground at every opportunity.

(cough) Ambassador (cough)
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model was certainly designed with wings because they look cool. But if you were to try to come up with some useful function, you could say that they're used to dissipate excess heat during combat. That's the primary explanation for the "S-foils" seen on various Star Wars fighters.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I thought the S-Foils just expanded the field of fire- that's certainly the case with the B-Wing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps