Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Klingon Bird of Prey (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Klingon Bird of Prey
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The expanded field of fire seems to be listed as a primary reason for the S-foil on the X-Wing and B-Wing. However, the Episode III cross-sections book lists heat dissipation as the primary purpose for the ARC-170, V-Wing, and Eta-2 Jedi starfighter S-foils. None of these ships increase their field of fire by opening their S-foils.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-Wings, B-Wings, Klingon BoPs, it's all just done for style and if the various in-universe explanations seam contrived, it's because they are.

I'm sure if you thought hard enough you could come up with a dozen or so vaguely plausible explanations from increased manoeuvrability by altering the relative position of the RCS quads to increased weapons accuracy by widening the distance between the emitters and/or targeting sensors. Thing is because none of these ships were designed with anything but style in mind, no straight scientific explanation will ever ring totally true.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if we're on the subject of spacecraft with wings, anyone remember the Lost in Space 'Bubble' Fighters?
Not only was thing one big wing, the cockpit was pretty much a gyroscope. Explain that Einstein.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there anything in that movie that made any sense?

But I still watch it from time to time. Cool production design.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fellow modeler Alfred Wong made a fantastic kit of those bubble fighters.

The movable "wing" might help with targeting but the glass bubble is a terrible design.
At least you can see out of it, unlike the TIE fighter.

The LIS movie did indeed have cool production designs- I occasionally watch it just to marvel at how good it looks when compared to the original, god awful, 1960's television show.
I still cant wrap my mind around what the earth ship Proteus was supposed to look like before the spider tingies got ahold of it.

Zefram, all the examples listed in the cross-sections book are old designs by Star Wars- maybe they fixed their heat problems- they sure managed to make hyperdrives smaller (judging by the ISD not having that giant hyperdrive sticking out the back like the Republic version and fighters not needing those rings).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Was there anything in that movie that made any sense?

But I still watch it from time to time. Cool production design.

I liked it. Thought it would have made a good series, too. Better than the original.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they made a pilot a few years back, though it obviously never got picked up. In fact, if I recall the left-over sets from that production were the basis for the Pegasus sets used on Galactica.
I wonder if that pilot ever saw the light of day, these things do occasionally leak out on the net.

--------------------

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Zefram, all the examples listed in the cross-sections book are old designs by Star Wars- maybe they fixed their heat problems- they sure managed to make hyperdrives smaller (judging by the ISD not having that giant hyperdrive sticking out the back like the Republic version and fighters not needing those rings).

One of my biggest complaints about Star Wars is the pace of technological development. Each starship or starfighter class is supposedly an improvement on the last design. But how much technological advancement could you expect over a twenty year time span in a culture that has had faster-than-light space travel for thousands of years? You would think that technology would tend to plateau with the occasional quantum leap every few generations.

As in-universe explanations go, the use of S-foils or large BOP-like wings for heat dissipation is actually a pretty good one. The only way to increase radiative heat transfer from an object in a vacuum is to either increase its temperature or to increase its surface area.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I wonder if that pilot ever saw the light of day, these things do occasionally leak out on the net.

I've seen parts of it recently, so yes, it has leaked out. You just have to be able to find it.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat dissipation makes sense except in the case of the Klingon BoP. Well, I take that back, the heat dissipation feature still makes sense, it just doesn't make sense why the wings move. What matters if the wings are up or down?
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the wings need to go up to land. But on the model there is a lot of hull that moves in order to accomplish this.

It may be that the wings in their up position cover the area of the hull involved in heat disspersal.

The wings are there at all to give the guns a good wide angle. And the wings look cool and scary too(which seems to be an important part of Klingon designs).

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Surely the heat dissipation on a KBop happens in that red and yellow glowing thing on the tail, not the wings.

I think we had a thread on this a few years back and IIRC we found that TNG aside, the BoP has consistently been shown to drop the wings to attack, raise to two slightly different mid positions to cruise and of course all the way up to land.
So whatever difference the wings make, their positions are most likely determined by a balancing act between tactical and navigational advantage. So targeting accuracy and RCS redistribution seams to be the most logical variables, given the data.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Surely the heat dissipation on a KBop happens in that red and yellow glowing thing on the tail, not the wings.

I've always thought that was the case.

the only solidly explained reason is the up for landing position. Perhaps there is no real reason for the other two. Secretly, I think the guys that make BoPs just put a button on the bridge marked "Land/Cruise/Attack" instead of one that says "Wings up/flat/down".

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's to do with shaping the warp field or in creasing manouverability at certain stages of flight? Maybe it's because it looks cool and they know fanboys will fill in the gaps themselves?

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

It wouldn't be totally out of the realms of possibility if a major part of the design ethos is for it's psychological impact. Perhaps the Klingons just consider the wings down look to be more menacing.
Compared to say Federation designs, the Klingons (and the Romulans for that matter) seam just as concerned with their own sense of aesthetics as with purely practical considerations when designing anything from PADDs to uniforms to starships.
Of course the Feds to have a sense of aesthetics, but it's usually a secondary consideration.

[ March 17, 2009, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.