Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » HD screencaps of the Movies (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HD screencaps of the Movies
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

HD versions of the TOS-movies are available since a few days. I wonder, if anybody has taken advantage of the (hopefully) better resolution and discovered new facts on starships and registries?

E.g.: Is the registry of the Oberth-Class starship (at the end of ST IV?) visible or can the Operation Retrievel-Chart now be seen clearly?

Bye, Stefan

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to buy the movies AGAIN?

That's Pan and Scan VHS, Widescreen VHS, DVD and now Bluray? Fark!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, no one's forcing you to buy the movies again... [Wink]

Of course, if you have a Blu-ray player and the capability to view full HD then hey, why not.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I have to buy the movies AGAIN?

Yeah, in all of the alternative timelines. [Smile]
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't own them and only have them in 720p, but I will be buying them when I get my BD-Rom drive.

They look like they were filmed yesterday, so if anyone wants 720p screens let me know, I'll try to accommodate.

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I totally forgot to look for was the 'other ship' in spacedock in Star Trek III.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
E.g.: Is the registry of the Oberth-Class starship (at the end of ST IV?) visible
That ship still had the same name and registry as the Grissom, since no relabeling was done until TNG.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Okuda told me via e-mail some years ago that there was a production still with the model labelled as the U.S.S. Copernicus NCC-623 from STIV.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have they been cleaned up/remastered AGAIN? for the HD release?

Is TMP the new version or the old one or both?

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

quote:

It's the old cut without enhanced FX. ST II is without the extra scences, according to the reviews on the web.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mike Okuda told me via e-mail some years ago that there was a production still with the model labelled as the U.S.S. Copernicus NCC-623 from STIV.
Really? That's the first I've heard about that. So the Tsiolkovsky from "The Naked Now" was labeled Copernicus? I do know that the registry was still a three-digit number, as opposed to the Tsiolkovsky's reg of 5XXXX, so I doubt that it was renamed in that ep.
Wes
Member # 212

quote:
Have they been cleaned up/remastered AGAIN? for the HD release?

Yes, the remastered and processed the film, cleaning up each channel individually and removing lots of grain, they almost look like they were filmed digitally now. Looks amazing.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Why wouldn't they use the new version of TMP!?!

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the effects weren't rendered in HD. Although I wonder if the scene files still exist, then they could just rerender everything at the higher resolution? They might not have the compositing files, so they'd have to do all that work again, but it'd be worth it. I for one don't really want to buy TMP on Blu-ray unless it's the Director's cut.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Gah! I mean it wasn't so long ago - you'd think they'd realise HD was coming out.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.