Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Benefit of Star Trek TVH in HD (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Benefit of Star Trek TVH in HD
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Maybe the "Refit" was a limited run design upgrade?

Maybe it was a mission-specific upgrade? Well we got the Lakota around the same time as other Excelsiors were being built which were the STVI variety... as seen in the shipyard scene in "Relativity".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

I still have my doubts, since I'm not even able to make out the 'NCC-' - and this is something that we all know that it has to be there. Besides, isn't the second number from the right not looking like a '4'?

The "NCC" is kinda blurry, but with squinting my eyes I make out what looks to me like "623." It may look different to you, but that's what I see.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
I see what you mean about "incontrovertible proof," but really we already knew that. Okuda told us. (I asked him specifically about the Copernicus and he said he'd seen behind the scenes photos that showed the name & registry. I never saw any good reason to doubt him.) And we could always see that the Saratoga wasn't NCC-1864.
If, when you say "we," you really mean "you," then you're right. But speaking for myself, I didn't know anything about what Okuda said.
Well, I posted about it here at the time. Plus, it was in the Encyclopedia. If you leave aside the TOS stuff that is clearly conjectural and a few honest errors, the ship info presented there is very reliable, what with Okuda having had access to behind the scenes material, he and his coworkers in the art and VFX departments having created much of it. Did you think he just pulled the Copernicus' info out of his ass? Why would he do such a thing?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
The "NCC" is kinda blurry, but with squinting my eyes I make out what looks to me like "623." It may look different to you, but that's what I see.

Believe me, I want to believe! Is there any change to get a hand on the picute that Mr. Okuda mentioned?
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is chance, not change... [see above]
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Believe me, I want to believe! Is there any change to get a hand on the picute that Mr. Okuda mentioned?
Any picutes, official or nonofficial picutes, would have to be cleared with the Paramount temporal copyright agency (yes they're that good), and after that, the eventual release of the picute would have to be cleared with the Okuda estate.

That being said, I also want to see it!

o2
Member # 907

After a few day of discussion I would like to present a shot summarize of TVH in HD.

USS Saratoga

Maybe for the first time ever we have confirmation that the registry of the Saratoge is indeed NCC-1867. Pictures are available, case closed.

Miranda in Spacedock

There is a Miranda in space dock, but without a registry unter the impulse drive (the Reliant has one here). The registry on the back end of the warp nacelle is not legible, the angle of view is to steep. Even if there will be ever a better mastered Blu Ray disc this number will most likely not be identified.

USS Yorktown

We see the captain of the Yorktown speaking, but there is no new data in the frame. Nevertheless, I would like to add a new peace of information, that has maybe not been discuessed before: Accourding to the background wall panels, the appearence is very Mirande/Constitution/Oberth-bridge-ish. There is no way to tell the class of the ship, but it seeams that the ship is state of the art. Since the Yorktown was mentioned in TOS 'Obsession' for the first time and I further assume that his is still the same ship, I think it is save to say that the ship has been refitted. Still no clue of the class, though, but a) if only Constituntion class ships have been refitted so far, the Yorktown is a constituton class starship or b) other classed have been refitted as well!

USS Shepard

The ship name is only mentiond on audio, but it is there.

Oberth in space dock

The registry is now clearer then ever, but (at least to me) still not legible. Some people here in this forum think that the screencap support the NCC-623-theory. I have high hopes that a better (remastered) version of the movie will reveal the mistery of the ship's registry.

First warp nacelle

Only the port warp nacelle can be seen in one picture and it can be ruled out that this one is connected to a Mirande class starship. But there is no evidence that this one belongs to a Constitution class starship.

Second warp nacelle

There is another (starboard) warp nacelle, this time with a pylon attached to it. This looks like a constitution class to me, but again, no one can tell. Further, there is indeed a registry on the back tail of the warp nacelle, again, with a too steep angle to identify.

Star Fleet Command

Maybe the greatest disappointment so far: For the first time ever we have the opportunity to visis the heard of Starfleet. And with the HD screencaps we can read all the stuff that is displayed on the many displays. But it seeams that there is no information at all. On some star charts you can see abstract symbols for ships, but they are labled with ... only NCC! No number is given!

Conclusion:

For me, TVH was the best candidate for finding new bits and pieces, but so far no luck...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm the only one to whom the Saratoga looks more like NCC-1937 than NCC-1867? It seems like the dimples are on the wrong sides of the digits to be the latter? Maybe it's just the one frame that's been capped, though; has anyone viewed the Blu-ray for themselves?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Maybe it's just the one frame that's been capped, though; has anyone viewed the Blu-ray for themselves?

I did, but while watching, 1937 would not came to my mind. I have to admit that 8 and 9 and 3 and 6 are very easy to mix up, but at least from my point of view there are no indications for a 9 or a 3.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did you think he just pulled the Copernicus' info out of his ass? Why would he do such a thing?
I neither said nor implied that Okuda pulled the info out of his ass. I said that we now have proof that the ship models in the movies were relabeled. I never said that it wasn't done, only that we didn't have physical proof of it until now. Don't get so defensive. [Wink]
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
So, I'm the only one to whom the Saratoga looks more like NCC-1937 than NCC-1867? It seems like the dimples are on the wrong sides of the digits to be the latter? ...

Really? That one looks very much like an 8 to me. It's really only that troublesome third digit in the HD cap that I'm having trouble reading...
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.