Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » STXI Farragut pic is a faaaaaaaake!!!!!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: STXI Farragut pic is a faaaaaaaake!!!!!!
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done a quick analysis of the hangar bay scene where the cadets are assigned to their posts. This is what I got:

Male dispatcher:

USS Newton
USS Odyssey
Regular One
USS Farragut
USS Enterprise
USS Wolcott
USS Hood

Female dispatcher:

USS Odyssey
USS Newton
USS Faragut
USS Antares

Most of the above given names are on the subtitles, as well.

Later, we can hear Captain Pike calling the USS Truman, and, of course, we have the YFLOWE, which we translate into the USS Mayflower. By the way, I believe that the registry of the Mayflower is NCC-1621 and not NCC-1620. Why is so? You can see the last 'one' on the saucer. The 'one' couldn'd be mistaken for the zero, since we know from the USS Kelvin that the zero has 'rounded' edges, and the 'one' not.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched it again Yesterday. Really tried to make out Shuttle 9's name, but its too small, even on BluRay with a 42" TV. BTW, do those 5-digit numbers on the shuttles' hull have any deeper meaning? In the hangar bay scene, one of the shuttles was '1701', which would imply some sort of registry (or at least imply an affiliation to a ship). Since Enterprise is supposed to be Starfleet's newest ship yet the concept sketches show higher regs, we might be back to non-sequential numbering, which *could* mean 5-digit-ship registries. Even though I doubt it.

Here's an idea: We can see the numbers on the shuttles. Galia (the orion girl) is assigned to the Farragut, right? Where does she go? I mean - can we see which shuttle she approaches?

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Hey. Just noticed something. Mayflower is confirmed for Vulcan, Truman, too. Plus Newton, Odyssey, Farragut, Hood, Wolcott and Antares. That's eight. But the fleet was 7 plus the Enterprise. Which one of those is the fifth Beatle? The small thing still docked when the E leaves? *And* there's still the Defiant from the concept sketches (is it confirmed those are concepts - or are they shots of the real models, possibly low-quality renders or something?)

Edit: This isn't the 90's anymore. Maybe someone should dig out Eaves' email and just ask the man. Would make things a lot easier. [Razz]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way it would work is if either the Truman or the Mayflower were already in orbit of Vulcan (or better yet, already destroyed) when the other 7 ships arrived (remember, Pike only metioned the Truman after they had already reached Vulcan, implying either that the ship was already there, or it was the lead ship in the task force). If that's the case, then I'd prefer it if it was the Mayflower. That way we could have a ship with a Kelvin-style saucer ridiculously scaled up even though no ships at the station were larger than the Enterprise.

Re: Defiant: I don't think they were lo-rez models, I think they were just concept art. Plus, the Defiant had the TOS Connie Defiant's registry number. Also, the Defiant had a rollbar, but the final CGI model didn't. I think it's safe to say there was no Defiant in the fleet.

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

^^^^

Doesn't work. First, Pike tried to contact the Truman immediately after Kirk convinced him that it might be a trap, so before their arrival. The fact that he tried to contact the Truman might indicate it was the flagship of the task force. It really wouldn't make sense to randomly pick one ship.

The 7-ships-statement came from Ayel, who informed Nero about their arrival. We can exclude 6 from the list, plus the Truman, if she was the flag ship. Leaves the Mayflower as the wild card. But her debries were among the other ships' debries. If she was destroyed before the task force arrived, their remains would probably be somwhere else, space is big. If she arrived *with* the task force, it would be 8 ships in Ayel's announcement.

The only way this would work is the following scenario: Mayflower at Vulcan, Truman plus 6 others (and Enterprise) leave for Vulcan. Mayflower leaves Vulcan to meet the task force. One of the task force - for whatever reason - doesn't make the trip to Vulcan (we don't know the state of those ships; maybe they were under repair at earth, which would make one of them dropping out for techical reasons plausible). Maybe the one that doesn't make it was the Truman, Pike knew that and tried to contact her to see if they knew anything. Which would also make sense: if Vulcan *was* a trap, the task force would probably be fighting for their lives and have no time to return Pike's call. So contacting the Truman would make sense. If they were close to Vulcan when they dropped out, they might get some sensor readings or something. And the reason they did not respond was either them being in range of the com jammer or their techical difficulties.

The one thing that really made me scratch my head was: why did the whole fleet assemble in the Laurentian system? What the hell was going on out there?

BTW, did someone catch the names of the other Admirals at the hearing? The one to the right (from Kirk's p.o.v.) was Komack. The two on the left were also readable in one short shot shortly before the end of the scene (i can look it up if someone's interested), but what about the rest? I haven't worked my way through all the special features, maybe there's more. And speaking of special features, isn't there one about the ships? Has anyone watched it yet?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The one thing that really made me scratch my head was: why did the whole fleet assemble in the Laurentian system? What the hell was going on out there?
Nothing, really. It was just a plot device to have the rest of the fleet be somewhere else, and not have a lot of thought behind why.

I'd go with the theory that the Mayflower was already in orbit of Vulcan, and for whatever reason, Ayel said seven ships instead of eight, if only because I like the thought that there was a ship even larger than the (*cough*) 700 meter Enterprise.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that they assign cadets to those 7 ships mentioned during the hangar bar scene doesn't imply that all of them have to go to Vulcan. In one case, a cadet was assinged to a space station (Regular One), so its fair to say that they also assign other cadets to ships that will have other tasks.

We never saw a compelte picture of the fleet leaving the Earth space station, but in one scene you can see four ships shortly before they go to warp from the bridge of the Enterprise. When they actually jump to warp, a fifth warp signatur is visible (obviously from a ship that is covered by the Enterprise). So we have a total of five (not seven or eight!) ships excluding the Enterprise that are going to Vulcan.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

We see seven ships docked at the station (not including the Enterprise), and Ayel states that seven ships are on route to Vulcan. Seems pretty clear-cut to me.
o2
Member # 907

But this doesn't mean that they are coming from the same point of origin, hence not all ships from the Eart station had to go to Vulcan, and - sorry if I repeat myself - we can onyl can see five ships leaving.
Amasov Prime
Member # 742

The location of Starfleet's vessels and fleets has been a mystery to me, not only the "only-ship-in-sector"-device from the movies, but also the large fleets of vessels vs. only single vessels in DS9. It makes sense to have ships out on their own for deep space exploration, but defending borders etc. makes a lot more sense in small groups, while at the same time there is no reason to move around in large fleets because you can easily out-maneuver them (unless you're preparing an immediate attack, which obviously wasn't the case in most situations). The point I'm trying to make is this: Even though it would make sense to scatter the fleet, have ships from different locations meet at Vulcan, and not send all ships stationed at earth to Vulcan, Starfleet rarely acts that way. All (!) other ships in one location (the Laurentian system, for whatever reason) is a clear indicator of that.

Naturally, I would assume that Starfleet had other ships around, patrol craft and so on, plus those at earth plus maybe some at Vulcan (aren't there any starbases or shipyards or whatever at Vulcan?), so a lot ships around to draw to Vulcan. But that's obviously not how Starfleet works. So in Star Trek-terms, having 7 ships (or 8) go from Earth to Vulcan and no other ships around makes more sense. (We could call it the Borg variation of that "only-ship-in-sector"-device, as they did have fleets around - only to wipe them out to make the enemy look more dangerous and have the E arrive just in time to save the day).

By the way: What's up with Vulcan anyway? Don't they have any defense systems? Even Betazed could stand its ground for a couple of hours against the Dominion (okay, I know, you really can't compare a Dominion fleet to a mad Romulan's possibly Borg-enhanced evil planet-killing mining vessel of doom from the future (TM), but, you know: they've got to have *something*. These guys have been travelling the galaxy for hundreds of years and not a century ago seriously kicked some Andorian ass. What happened?)

And off-topic: Did anyone else thik the 10,000-survivors-estimate was somewhat... low? 6 billion people on Vulcan an 10,000 survive? IT's a space-faring civilization, part of an interstellar alliance, with colonies, outposts and starships. Even if not a single Vulcan escaped the planet, there have to be more than 10,000 around. The US has a population of about 300 million. If Nero would wipe it out, and going by that ratio, it would mean that only 500 US citizens would survive (= be outside the US or being able to escape). That's quite unlikely.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've read in a couple of places that the 10,000 figure is supposed to be just the people who made it off the planet during the attack. IOW, there's more overall survivors than that.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Actually, If I had to guess, I'd bet the Mayflower's registry is NCC-1620, since that's the year the real Mayflower arrived in Plymouth.

A documentation on the BluRay is showing a diagram of Starfleet ships including its registries: The Newton, the Defiant and also the Mayflower. The given number is NCC-1621, which is also confirmed by the screenshots of the graveyard scene.

From this diagram we know that the USS Mayflower is of the 'Reliant-Class', which can be seen both docking at the space station and later, shortly before the ships are going to warp.

By the way, when Alex Yeager was talking in this documentation about the ships of STXI, he was sitting in front of a background of ship diagrams, that seams to be more complete than the one that was actually featured in the documenation. So can someone give him a call and ask for this wallpaper?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jaeger's blog:
http://alxartblog.blogspot.com/

o2, can you take some screenshots of the featurette showing the ships for us?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a neat pic a while ago, someone had done a Rebooted Reliant. Looked good.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
o2, can you take some screenshots of the featurette showing the ships for us?

Just send you an email.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.