Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » STXI Farragut pic is a faaaaaaaake!!!!!! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: STXI Farragut pic is a faaaaaaaake!!!!!!
vwuser
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for vwuser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reviewing the screencaps for the movie on the TrekCore.Com website to confirm what MoM was saying. I noticed something interesting. In this picture, we can see the registry for one of these ships. I can see 1, 7, and 9. The third number is unreadable. Looking at the concept art, this is either the Armstrong or the Excelsior. Honestly, before this art was released, I wouldn't know what to look for.

From the available screencaps, we have a modified Mayflower-type starship, two Newton-type starships, and one Armstrong/Excelsior-type starship warping to Vulcan.

vwuser
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for vwuser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amendment to the earlier post:

I think we may be assuming what ships were being sent to Vulcan, and which ships actually were at Vulcan.

What we know for certain:
* cadets were assigned to the starships Odyssey, Newton, Antares, Farragut, Hood, Wolcott, Enterprise, and to the station Regula 1
* five ships warped to the Vulcan home system, one was delayed and arrived later. Another ship, not mentioned in the assembling, could be the Armstrong or the Excelsior
* Ayel reported to Nero that seven ships were entering the Vulcan home system
* one of the ships destroyed was the Mayflower
* Pike attempted to contact the Truman which he believed as being near Vulcan

So, of the seven ships, three ships weren't mentioned in Hangar 1 - the Armstrong/Excelsior, the Mayflower, the Truman

So, what happened to the other ships - the Farragut, the Hood, the Antares, the Wolcott, the Odyssey, the Newton? Were they sent to Vulcan, or were they sent to the other system to support the fleet? Or, did some ships stay in the Sol System to defend Earth? And, if there is an emergency call to battle, why is a cadet being assigned to a station? The situation is a mess.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They thought it was an emergency, no one ever thought it was an attack. So leaving ships behind to defend earth really doesn't make much sense.

The 450-meters figure for the Kelvin makes perfect sense, given her crew complement (even assuming the E is somewhere in the 300s range and not north of 700 meters). Starfleet seems to have the fetish for monster-sized exploration vessels (see Galaxy-class for example). (Additionally, and regardless of what ILM or anyone else says, in 'in-universe'-terms, even a 700-meter figure for the E and similar numbers for the rest of the fleet would make sense. Starfleet and others seem to have the ability to randomly vary the size of their components to fit their needs. Maybe industrial repicators can do that sort of thing.)

Did anyone read the Art of ST book yet? Mine is underway, as soon as it arrives I'll upload some more material, if there is any.

BTW, did they really say "Regula 1"? Maybe there is a USS Regula in the fleet. Or the officer reading out the list was just nervous and confused...

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:

- Perhaps the Mayflower registry was later corrected to NCC-1620 on the model?

The registry -even the last digit - is visible in one of the scences above Vulcon: It's NCC-1621.

I'm just a little concerned about the fact that the USS Enterprise is passing by the saucer of the USS Mayflower for at least 2 (two!) times.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

BTW, did they really say "Regula 1"? Maybe there is a USS Regula in the fleet. Or the officer reading out the list was just nervous and confused... [/QB]

The subtitle of the scene on the BD says 'Regular One' (note the 'one', not '1!').
o2
Member # 907

If you compare this picture from the documentation with the one given by Bernd, you can see that there has to be another diagram with further starships.

Bernd, mayby your source can provide the missing picture as well?

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
The subtitle of the scene on the BD says 'Regular One' (note the 'one', not '1!').

Maybe what he meant was "you're assigned to the regular one" (as in "the one you would have been assigned to anyway")? [Razz]
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
If you compare this picture from the documentation with the one given by Bernd, you can see that there has to be another diagram with further starships.

Not sure. Was that in the book as well?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

vwuser
Member # 2182

I went out today, and attempted to peruse a copy of the book from one of three bookstores. I couldn't find one. This is rather surprising as I live in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area, and one would think I could obtain a copy. So, now I am dependent on others to tell me what is in the book. [Frown]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe because it isn't out yet?
vwuser
Member # 2182

The book comes out today. I checked the in-store catalog, and it said the book was likely to be in. I was reading on TrekBBS that another person had trouble finding the book. So, this isn't an isolated incident.

I just checked Amazon and Titan, the publisher of the book, and confirmed the release date.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

Not sure. Was that in the book as well?
Well, the chart shown on the Blu-Ray also shows the U.S.S. Defiant.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Amazon delivered today, here'S the facts:

First, there's some awesome (and I mean some really fuckin' awsome) imagery in that book; we never had a SotL-calendar that came close to this stuff. The details:

- Beauty-shot of the Mayflower wreckage (you can read xFLOWx and 16 from the registry)
- Some really good material on the Kelvin, even an in-depth analysis of the battle damage; first concept still had the red/yellow arrow-thing on the nacelle, like the original E
- A rendering that gives a much better impression of the Kelvin's secondary hull (the shuttle hangar is circular, like a giant tube). Maybe really a colony ship. Shuttle bay is open to space, shuttles accessed via airlock
- The Gilliam ist shuttle 2 of the Enterprise
- Eaves influenced the armada design (yeah, we noticed...), besides the blue chart (only the one we already have), there's concepts of what looks like a NX01-ish vessel (only one secondary hull thing, and the saucer is missing the middle part of the ring, basically just an outer ring and a bridge-module hanging in it's center) - no name given; concept of a USS Phoenix NCC-11592
- The "bubble" of the spacedock is made of some transparent material, the concepts show ships docked inside and a large botanical section
-some good images of Sarek's speederbike from the cut scene
-Tons of stuff on the Enterprise design (when the shuttle bay doors open, you get the Starfleet insignia; never noticed...)
-The concepts of the bridge look much better than the final design, more classic and not so shiny
-The first concept of the drill was some spider-bot vehicle
-Several pages of poster concepts that look way better than the final stuff. I would have put about 20 of them on my walls. [Smile]

...and much more, excellent art, definitely worth my money. [Cool]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it give an in depth look at any of the other ships, besides the Kelvin, Enterprise, and Narada, and the Mayflower wreckage.
vwuser
Member # 2182

No.

This book is a disappointment. Though the book is two hundred pages of artwork, there is minimal explanation. Minimal as in a short caption for every page. There are no lengthy paragraphs describing the evolution of a design, no storyboard sequences, no script, etc. In other words, this is not a Art of Star Wars book.

Here are some examples I noted:

* the Kobayshi Maru is not shown in detail, in fact, it's not shown at all save in clips from the movie. Instead, there are three or four sketches of the Klingon warbirds.

* in the chapter about Starfleet Academy, there is a film clip of the hangar. This clip shows shuttles not used in the movie. They are identified as military transports, and have hull numbers 72 and 56. There is no explanation for their no-show in the final product.

* finally, in the chapter on the Fleet, the connection between the Phoenix, from Starfleet Armada, and the ships in the fleet is not revealed

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps