Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 89 shuttles

Author Topic: 89 shuttles
vwuser
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for vwuser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was paying close attention to the close captioning of the film, and I noted that the shuttle commanded by Pike to the Narada is identified as Shuttle 89. So, could this mean the Enterprise has 89 shuttles? If so, how does this add to our understanding of the size of the starship.

(According to the Starship Spotter, a Galaxy-class Starship had a total of 16 shuttles, with 4 work bees and a captain's yacht.)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it. I expect the numbering isn't necessarily in order. For whatever reason that might be.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While on the subject of shuttles, I just noticed something about the Kelvin I didn't before - but I'm sure someone must have commented on it, in which case I missed it.

Captain Robau gets in a turbolift from the Bridge deck. Film then cuts to the shuttle deck and a turbolift coming DOWN the lift shaft which opens and Robau steps out. He walks up a set of stairs to the upper shuttle rank and flies one out. From the shuttle port at the rear of the secondary hull, at the top of the ship.

Er?

Where exactly did that lift shaft come from?! He was virtually at the highest point of the starship when he got out of the lift!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never noticed that! Very amusing.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I doubt it. I expect the numbering isn't necessarily in order. For whatever reason that might be.

The Kelvin is the Voyager's long-lost sister ship, and destruction of shuttlecraft is a family trait, perhaps?

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
While on the subject of shuttles, I just noticed something about the Kelvin I didn't before - but I'm sure someone must have commented on it, in which case I missed it.

Captain Robau gets in a turbolift from the Bridge deck. Film then cuts to the shuttle deck and a turbolift coming DOWN the lift shaft which opens and Robau steps out. He walks up a set of stairs to the upper shuttle rank and flies one out. From the shuttle port at the rear of the secondary hull, at the top of the ship.

Er?

Where exactly did that lift shaft come from?! He was virtually at the highest point of the starship when he got out of the lift!

Perhaps the main horizontal turboshaft runs along the top of the engineering hull?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
89 shuttles and a yacht ain't one...

Fandom material for the TOS-movie era has the ships with oodles of shuttles. If the Kelvin was a long-range vessel and was set out to start a colony or some such thing, it wouldn't be inconceivable for them to have a whack of auxiliary craft. It could be that the Kelvin didn't use transporters a whole lot and therefore had a bunch of shuttles. The high number of 89 could suggest lots and lots of workbees, travel pods, etc.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

vwuser
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for vwuser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shuttle 89 is not on the Kelvin, nor associated with this starship. This shuttle belongs to the Enterprise.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, oops. :S

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best in-universe idea that springs to mind is that the shuttle is not from the Enterprise, but from Starfleet HQ, or the space station and thus just a pool shuttle.

Do we ever see the markings clearly enough to say fure sure it is an Enterprise shuttle?

I expect the real world reason is either that Orci or Kurtzman just picked a number for the shuttle rather than a name, or that the ship was supposed to be the huge monster-prise XXL when they wrote it. Then 89 or ever 189 shuttles might not be unreasonable.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could give you a Navy reason...

You've all seen pics of jets with nose numbers like 114 or 603. Doesn't mean there's 603 jets on the ship or even the 603rd jet in the fleet. The first number refers to the type of the squadron. For example, 1 = fighter squadron. 6 = electronic support missions. The second set means the number in the squad. 114 = 14th jet in the fighter squadron. Which then goes by seniority. The CAG would be in something like 100. The lowest ranking pilot would in like 114.

I realize of course this isn't the case cause I doubt they even thought about it when doing shuttle numbers. I suppose you could say the first number refers to the type of the shuttle. Like 9th Type 8 shuttle on the Enterprise.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

vwuser
Member # 2182

I have tabulated a full list of known shuttles from the film, and what they were used for:

U.S.S. Kelvin NCC-0514
** 2 , seen departing the starship after the medical shuttle with evacuees
** 3 , seen departing the starship before the medical shuttle with evacuees
** 37 , medical shuttle, site of James T. Kirk's birth
** 43, used by Robau when he flew to the Narada

U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701
** 2 - Gilliam used for ferrying cadets to the starship
** 9 used for ferrying cadets to the starship
** 89 used for the a three-team space-jumping onto a drilling rig and for ferrying Pike to the Narada

Other
** 12091 stored in Hangar 1
** 70172 used for ferrying recruits to the Academy. Name is Bardeen.
** 78072 used for trans-warping cadets to the Enterprise, shuttle is 'banjaxed'
** Dimassa 01, seen in the Blue-Ray special features, unknown use

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps