Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9TM Runabout Nacelles

Author Topic: DS9TM Runabout Nacelles
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't find any past reference to this . . .

Looking at the filming model, I note that the front of the nacelle is actually out beside the little phaser canard on the model, and that the model nacelles end a foot or two before the end of the fuselage.

On the DS9TM 4-view, however, the forward portion of the nacelle doesn't quite make it to the canard (nor even all the way past the ribbed section), and the aftmost part of the nacelle is almost even with the aftmost part of the fuselage.

(Another shot of the filming model at an angle is available at EAS (at the second link).)

In other words, the DS9TM images show the nacelles kicked back a foot or two.

Weird.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 TM got many a-thing wrong.

I've always loved that little ship though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree on both counts. At first I was a little iffy on the Runabout, since I always remembered the statement about "aesthetics surpassing technology" from the time of TNG's first season (noted in the Starlog STTNG Magazine), which is nonsense but remains how I always think of the "Starfleet Clean" look.

Thus, the greeblies and exposed-looking bits and straps and such seemed a little retarded . . . I suppose I would've expected something a little more like the Type-7 or Type-6 in appearance . . . nice and "Starfleet Clean" in design.

And actually, the straps still do seem a little retarded. But nonetheless, the vessel as a whole has grown into a personal favorite, right alongside the Type-7.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right. I never noticed that.

And I think the runabout has just the right amount of greeblies.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A canon explanation may be that different nacelle types were used on various Runabouts...
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Why would we need that explanation, unless the canon CGI (or "CGIs" given the mini-runabii in the credits) differed from the model?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's a minor inaccuracy on a simple illustration, not really worth worrying about.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps