Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oberth-class

Author Topic: Oberth-class
Capt. Green
Member # 2172

- posted      Profile for Capt. Green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys I'm new to the forum. Haven't posted before cos i was afraid of being out-nerded... something I'm really not used to! Just wondering if the on-going debate over the Oberth's internal deck layout has been sorted out yet. Ive just watch TNG's "Hero Worship" and there are schematics showing not only 4/5 decks in the Vico's lower hull but decks in the engine pylons as well. I come to you bearing gifts, but if this is old news be gentle [Smile]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/oberth-size.htm

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've personally never understood some of the TMP-era designs. The Oberth has half the ship accessible only via skinny bits of pylon, and the Miranda's torpedo assembly is as bad if not worse.

The 120m Oberth, for instance, would probably only have pylons measuring 1.5 meters in width, judging by the TE Williams SketchUp model. That's five feet or so.

Now, given the length of the pylons fore to aft and stem to stern, there's almost certainly a space to fit a tiny turbo or two (similar to the smaller rectangular one to the E-D battle bridge seen in "Encounter at Farpoint"[TNG1]).

But if the hull thickness is around a foot or so, these turbocars get very cramped very quickly, not to mention the special spaceframe design considerations of having a turbolift go all the way down. Seems like that would effectively split the pylon in two, which isn't a problem really but it is odd.

Suffice it to say, I much prefer the idea of an Oberth as a container carrier, latching onto various bottom sections. That's an old idea from fandom that I rather like . . . you can see it illustrated midway down the page here.

Unfortunately, there's no canon support for such a thing, but it'd be nice . . . at least then we wouldn't need to expect significant crew count in the lower section. As tough as getting between the two would be for large numbers of people, it would almost be like having two separate ships.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've replicated this particular dead horse before- we even debated the internal layout.
HERE

As yo can see, the Oberth is an elegant and unique design- one made for a small crew or a very short crew. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Capt. Green
Member # 2172

- posted      Profile for Capt. Green     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah well, you gotta try something easy for your first post. Live and learn.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
made for halflings, Jason?

o.O hey are we still allowed to rape the new people? O.o

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capt. Green,

Welcome to Flare. Feel free to ask anything you like. Not all of us are complete dicks [Big Grin] , unless you are a spammer, which you obviously aren't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the user agreement- we're all complete dicks.
That's not to say that you cant be one too- you'll just have to have a thick (fore) skin.

Okay, I'll back away from the creepy side of this post now.

Welcome to Flare, BTW.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jag2112
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Jag2112     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to check out these detailed schematics on the Oberth class for another take on this ship:

Oberth Class Blueprints

Enjoy-

--------------------
-John
www.cygnus-x1.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to see that Dave is still doing plans. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the devil...

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps